Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: ALL HAIL JLU!!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:04 pm 
Daniel Pickett

I'll ALWAYS talk JLU! And all JLU fans are always welcome here at AFi! I hope you enjoy some of the JLU interviews I'm putting together.

D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:57 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Goodbye, my friends...

(I know you're gone, ya said you're gone, but I can still feel you're here...)

It's not the end

(Ya gotta keep it strong when the figures disappear..)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:51 am 
Brand Manager

BlackCanary wrote:
JuliusMarx wrote:
Guys... JLU is over. It's not going to re-instated. Let's celebrate the 11 years of fun.

To me, the JLU toyline was all about hope. Just when things looked their bleakest, JLU continued to survive.

That was your mistake right there! You thought this would be an actual party. You know... like the ones where people drink, and have fun, and talk about the good times. But that's just a rookie mistake. This is more of a figurative celebration. You know, like in a wake. That's why there's some negativity, and backhanded compliments, and people bringing up sore subjects, and starting their posts with things like "JLU is Dead" or " R.I.P. JLU!!!" Think about it. It's like when Aunt Harriet died and relatives came to "celebrate" her 85 years of life. Friends would say things like "She was a nosy annoying beaitch! God bless her soul!" Plus, we all knew her family couldn't wait to put her in the ground. Let's face it, everyone who knew her wanted her gone five years ago. You know... so that she wouldn't compete with the other lines... err... I mean Aunts, and eat her share of the inheritance. Get it? It's that kind "celebration."
:D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:08 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Ding dong, the witch is dead!
The wicked witch is dead!

:twisted:

But then again, if it's not Batman, DC is dead at retail as well.

:lol:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:35 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I will remember JLU as one of the greatest cartoons and action figure lines ever with more characters then nearly any line in existence. I will also think of it as a reminder that no matter what you give some people in any geekdom they will always find something to be negative about and run to the Interwebs to whine and post their frustration. It's always about the 10 figures they didn't get, not the near 300 they did :roll:

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:39 am 
Mint on Card

As some of you have stated it is bittersweet. At the end the difficulty finding these at Target sucked. I am happy with the number of characters we've received overall. The fact that we were able to get characters like the Ray, Giganta, Solomon Grundy, those 3 exclusive 3-packs at the cons was cool. And the fact that quite a few others were offered on Matty as well (despite problems with the site which I remember people having) was pretty cool. And as much as people like to b-tch about it Toyguru was able to get the last few sets online so we can get all the announced figures (with the exception of rereleasing Aquaman and Volcana, which I rememeber people missing out on as well).

For me personally having been able to add Guy Gardner and Blue Beetle to my Justice League International Team was the topper for me. That I am forever grateful for. Getting singles for a comic accurate Captain Atom and Blue Beetle at Target were awesome too.

Now aside from Black Manta we've gotten the entire Legion of Doom as well right? (I'll used the Kenner Riddler as a stand in as well as Devil Ray as Black Manta)

Thanks Mattel and especially Toy Guru for that.

Successful transactions with: Funtime3, Vancleef9000, Clark Kent, ivelostr2, Tuning4k, and Shellhead. Special Thanks to Stewbacca and Jim Abell. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:58 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Devil Ray > Black Manta.

Said it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:42 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

You could not be more wrong.

:wink:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:02 pm 
Wonderdog

JuliusMarx wrote:
I hope you enjoy some of the JLU interviews I'm putting together.

D

Kinda can't wait for them actually. I've been wanting to see something like this for a long time.

At the end of the day, not only is JLU one of the (if not THE) most comprehensive AF lines of all time, but it's also one of the easiest to customize. It's a gift that will keep on giving, at least for me personally. More than anything, I think I'm just happy they got most of the really tricky sculpts out of the way. :D

And finally, in closing:
Shellhead wrote:
You could not be more wrong.

...is 100% the correct answer.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:00 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Well, I can't argue much because I know nothing about Black Manta except his name (which I dislike for obvious reasons) and the fact that Devil Ray sounds cool and looks cool and did cool things on the show. So...yeah....he's cool!

Who can we expect to read interviews with? I figure Toy Guru will be among them...but I'm curious who else was reached...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:14 pm 
Knows his stuff

Disneyboy (or An-Gel), Is that metallic paint deco WONDER WOMAN the figure released w/ the WW Hot Wheels matchbox Car? I am a JLU character completist, but not a JL or JLU TOY completist by any means, so I assume the only way I could have missed that particular metallic deco Wonder Woman was if she came w/ the Hot Wheels WW race car or you & An-Gel have VERY similar customs of her painted w/ gold replacing the matte yellow.

I'm only a crazy TOY Collector today because JLU got me hooked! I of course would love some DCAU figures to released in 1-shot box sets or convention exclusives, but I know that the ongoing line is dead. I''m so thankful Mattel got us soooo many AWESOME Characters. I still can't help but see the potential of re-using the bucks for exclusive self-contained 1-shot releases, but I know it's not happening anytime soon. I would love a pitch session with MATTEL for these lines in particular: JLU/DCAU, Imaginext, Barbie, Fisher Price LITTLE PEOPLE, & MOTUC. I have missed my calling because I see so much missed potential for HUGE PROFITS in Barbie & Fisher Price Little People...... & of course not HUGE, but poential increased profits in their boys/collectors lines too. Anyways, THANK YOU Mattel for getting us so many different DCAU characters!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:41 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

I hope one of the interviews is with the gentleman who designed all of the packaging and showed up on the box of the seven pack. That'd be a good one.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:59 am 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

JLU-4-me wrote:
Disneyboy (or An-Gel), Is that metallic paint deco WONDER WOMAN the figure released w/ the WW Hot Wheels matchbox Car?

Why yes, yes it is. :wink:

JLU-4-me wrote:
you & An-Gel have VERY similar customs of her painted w/ gold replacing the matte yellow.

That to.

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:39 pm 
Resin

Thanks to everyone at Mattel that kept this line going so long! I'm so happy to have Toyman finally!

I do love this line. Someday I will own STAS Aquaman and then it will be complete. Good luck to the rest of you filling in any gaps!