Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 59  Next
 Post subject: Re: MOTU Classics discussion
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:21 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

and here's TOy Guru's "explanation" on the photo of MOUTC at retail. And by explanation, I mean raising even more questions:

Quote:
"Took us a few days to get to the bottom of this one. Bottom line is these items were not sold to WMT. They appear to be at only one single location and this WMT aquired them on the secondary market from a third party. Mattel did not set up this end cap or this promotion. There are no plans for MOTUC to be distributed at retail at this time. Maybe the toy aisle manager is a big MOTU fan. Not really sure, but this is not a Mattel program. That i can confirm."

The secondary market from a third party?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:21 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

also, get a gander at these new prices:
http://www.mattycollector.com/store/mat ... 2584032308

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:45 pm 
Brand Manager

I honestly believe Mattel had little, or can be connected to selling these to Wal-mart. I mean would they want Wal-mart to ever find out these were defective items for the most part? But I still think those Robotos were left over stock in the DR Warehouse meant for some sale. Mattel cleaned out some warehouses its pretty common to find "new old stock". But at the very same time ask yourself why this whole time every MOTUC figure came with a peg hook? Just in case thats why so I pretty much do not find this whole thing to be the earth shattering news others have.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:01 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Yeah, seriously TG you should just stop. Whether what you're saying is true or not, that kind of answer is only going to stir up the nerdrage pot even further.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:00 am 
categorically opposed

abuddah wrote:
and here's TOy Guru's "explanation" on the photo of MOUTC at retail. And by explanation, I mean raising even more questions:

Quote:
"Took us a few days to get to the bottom of this one. Bottom line is these items were not sold to WMT. They appear to be at only one single location and this WMT aquired them on the secondary market from a third party. Mattel did not set up this end cap or this promotion. There are no plans for MOTUC to be distributed at retail at this time. Maybe the toy aisle manager is a big MOTU fan. Not really sure, but this is not a Mattel program. That i can confirm."

The secondary market from a third party?

What's not to be understood about that?

The product is Mattel (Party #1) product. Being stocked on Walmart's (Party #2) shelves. Purchased from a dealer on the secondary market (Party #3).

I'm not saying whether or not he's telling the truth, but what's so hard to get about a third party (aka a middleman) working on the secondary market?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:15 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

It's just strange for a big retailer to be buying from a middleman off the secondary market when these companies have relationships with the direct manufacturers themselves. Places like Ollies, Ross, Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Tuesday Morning and Big Lots... discount liquidation stores buy from the second party liquidators unless things have changed and Wal-Mart is now buying from whoever. It just sounds unlikely. Because buying form a secondary market liquidator defeats Wal-Mart's whole 'proposed' purpose.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:38 pm 
Displays Backwards

Maybe Wal-Mart wanted to buy from the secondary market instead of facing the WSOD on sale day.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:03 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Van Statten wrote:
It's just strange for a big retailer to be buying from a middleman off the secondary market when these companies have relationships with the direct manufacturers themselves. Places like Ollies, Ross, Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Tuesday Morning and Big Lots... discount liquidation stores buy from the second party liquidators unless things have changed and Wal-Mart is now buying from whoever. It just sounds unlikely. Because buying form a secondary market liquidator defeats Wal-Mart's whole 'proposed' purpose.

Stores can buy from local vendors and suppliers (it's how they get the local school/team merchandise and local grocery product) and I know my store used to buy toys from a local novelty vendor on a pretty regular basis.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:08 am 

Really? I always thought Wal-Mart's schtick was they could charge cheap prices and still buy directly from the main distributor because of the whole "I'll pay you off in 90 days instead of the whole standard 60" or something like that. The story of Wal-Mart's beginnings was always something I admired, it revolutionized the whole retail playing field because they simply dictated their own terms instead of adhering to the standard ones.

I also always thought all vending sales had to go through a corporate level but could be paid out in store. The posters sold in K-Mart worked like that. A local vendor serviced all the stores in my area but all sales had to be approved by corporate but they were paid via our in store cash cage. TRU also works like that with certain items so I imagine Wal-Mart has their items too.

I'm actually really surprised to hear that but I do consider you the Wal-Mart insider here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:37 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I think it still has to be a corporate approved vendor not just the random guy off the street but, yeah, we can buy local.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:53 am 

Jim_Abell wrote:
I think it still has to be a corporate approved vendor not just the random guy off the street but, yeah, we can buy local.

So that local vender can bring merchandise to any local store if he has a corporate go ahead?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:07 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I don't know the fine details of it, but that's what I understand.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:10 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Well I got my Granymyr yesterday-- and although I still think we was a little to high priced-I will say that the sculpt is amazing and is one of the most impressive pieces I have picked up in a while--

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:13 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Got mine on Thursday but didn't get to open him until yesterday morning... wow... just un-freakin'-believable wow...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:06 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

stewbacca wrote:
Well I got my Granymyr yesterday-- and although I still think we was a little to high priced-I will say that the sculpt is amazing and is one of the most impressive pieces I have picked up in a while--

Agreed! This is an awesome figure and a great addition to my collection.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 59  Next