Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Saint Walker
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:17 am 
Aspires to be #1

GLsector666 wrote:
Why are you guys even buying *any* Lantern figures from Mattel? The DC Direct ones are a thousand times better, especially the ring color parts of the uniforms.

I disagree. I don't like the DC Direct figures.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:45 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Me neither...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:29 pm 
ABS

The only DC Direct lanterns I have are female green lanterns and the indigo tribe chick, the rest are mattel.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:33 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I have Warth. That's a nice figure.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:35 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

God of Thunder wrote:
The only DC Direct lanterns I have are female green lanterns and the indigo tribe chick, the rest are mattel.

I'm no DCD fan but those would be the only ones I would own... maybe some of the other fringe characters but if there is a Mattel version, I default to that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:32 am 
my tummy itches

Location: Kegworth, just around the corner from Gotham, England
Yeah, I have Jade, Red Lantern Guy, Warth, Kryb, Soranik Natu, RL Mera, Star Sapphire Fatality, Indigo 1, Munk, Black Lantern Blue Beetle, Black Lantern Terra and Scar, with Fatality, Ganthet and Salaak on the way. Oh, and Flashpoint Wonder Woman - I really liked that look.

I've got DCD's Saint Walker, but he's going to be dumped for the DCIE one in the new year.

I've actually got more than I thought, but generally i don't bother with DCD unless I'm pretty sure we won't get one from Mattel. Although the paint is nicer, the figures themselves have either really poor articulation or, in the case of Indigo 1, legs of a different length. Wonder Woman has bizarre swivel joints for her ankles, meaning it's really difficult to get her into a pose. Kryb looks great in the one pose you can get her into.

Jo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:21 am 
active in the community

pros of dc direct figs: (in my opinion)

sharper paint aps
better scale (usually with aliens GLs)

cons to dc direct: (in my opinion)

less articulation
pre posed (esp on the ladies) causes LOTS of standing issues
long turn quality issues...joints esp seem to degrade over time (at least in my experience)

i have gotten many of the dc direct and dcuc versions...as much as i had to double dip...i prefer higher articulation in most cases. i have moved aside most of my dc direct verison of lanterns (that have made it to dcuc versions) Atrositus has been the exception so far....Saint walker and Larfleeze with test me as well...their dc direct metalic paints are soooo nice.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:16 am 
Daniel Pickett

Here's our early look at the final production figure for the DCSC Saint Walker - Available tomorrow on MattyCollector.com

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/?p=54815

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:01 am 
serves the Otter

j1h15233 wrote:
GLsector666 wrote:
Why are you guys even buying *any* Lantern figures from Mattel? The DC Direct ones are a thousand times better, especially the ring color parts of the uniforms.

I disagree. I don't like the DC Direct figures.

Van Statten wrote:
Me neither...

DC Direct Green Lantern figures are da' bomb!

I have:

Atrocitus (much better than Mattel's!)

Nekron (equally good... and comes with scythe)

Kyle Rayner (original 90's "awesome" costume)

Arkillo

Black Lantern Flash

Black Lantern Hawkman

and Black Lantern Deadman. Plus, in my humble opinion, the Hal Jordan head sculpt on the more recent figures is much better than the horsemen's. If I can find a cheap one, I will definitely do a headswap (just as I did with New Krypton Kal-El & DCUC Superman.) Either way, when it comes to the Green Lantern market segment, I find Mattel's offerings to be sort of "a consolation prize". Well, except for John Stewart, Katma Tui and Saint Walker. Those I can easily concede to Mattel. But for the rest... it's a no contest. They beat mattel in price, scale, sculpting, paint applications and accessories.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:23 am 
Bob Vila

I've gotten most of the Mattel GL figures, but I supplement my GL shelf with some of the DC Direct ones, I still have to get Soranik Natu and Arkkis Chummuck (sorry don't know the spelling).

I did pick up Jade, and I still have Salaak and they both look good with the Mattel GL's.

Successful transactions with: Funtime3, Vancleef9000, Clark Kent, ivelostr2, Tuning4k, and Shellhead. Special Thanks to Stewbacca and Jim Abell. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:43 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

While I love the 4H very much, I think that DCD definitely did a better job of representing the GL Corps. As soon as I receive my St. Walker he's going on my trade list. Same with Larfleeze. Don't care for either one of these.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:07 pm 
my tummy itches

Speaking of DCC versus Mattel Lanterns, what do you think the chances are of Mattel releasing a Simon Baz?

If they did, I'm assuming it would be retail not sub and could be done with just a new head.

DC's figure looks like it will be great, but I don't want to end up buying two - and I'd prefer articulation.

Jo

Post subject: Re: DCUC: Club IE Saint Walker thread
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:48 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

OK, here's a silly question, but has anyone actually returned one of their subs for a refund? I'm wondering if I can do that, since apparently no one wants this figure and I don't know what to do with him. Customizers, is this a good buck to use for another figure? Box is still unopened.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:29 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

I'm surprised so many people prefer the Mattel figures to DCD, although I guess I shouldn't be in the Mattel section of the forum. I prefer DCD and I don't think it's close. But, to each his/her own.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:28 am 
my tummy itches

Well, there's a reason your called "Backward" galaxy (just kidding)

It depends what you're after - DCD/DCC tend to be better in the one-off sculpt and paint departments (their use of metallics is gorgeous on most figures), but Mattel do better on articulation and consistency.

Mattel could never have made Warth or Kryb, but at the same time Soranik Natu doesn't have the necessary articulation to stand up straight and Atrocitus is permanently limp-wristed.

I'm not going to rehash any of the Stel/Atrocitus/Mongul/Nekron debates here, there are good and bad points to both figures in each pairing, but they do highlight the differences that people look for.

And yes, there will usually be a swing towards Mattel figures in the Mattel forums ;)

Jo
Nearly finished stocking the shelves in my Mancave. Pictures will follow

Hopefully