Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Any New Mattel Questions?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:22 am 
Brand Manager

Self-deleted.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:01 pm 
Collector Inspector

At my local comic book shop, I've notice for several weeks now that Capstone Press is releasing a large volume of Young Reader Novel TB, set in the JLU animated universe, complete with art by Paul Dini.

Don't suppose you'd wanna give them a call and see if you could cross-promote with them and create a few new JLU figures?

Buuuuuuuuuut I know you won't.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:03 pm 
ABS

This part of the Q&A pisses me off the most

"Q5. As we now come to the end of the first year of the DC Club Infinite Earths subscription can you talk about what you have learned in this first year of what fans want in a pure collector line? Any reactions that have surprised you? Anything you have implemented for year 2?

A5. The biggest key learning was DC fans are very passionate but in the end not as numerous as customers. We will continue to put out DC 6″ figures as long as there is a customer base to support our min quota."

Not numerous? I would beg to differ. The problem isnt that there are not enough of us. The problem, for mattel, is there are not enough fans that are willing to follow them blindly. and who can blame them? Just from the recent

1. Killed young Justice toyline. thats our fault? not bad distribution?

2. Killed Action League line. thats our fault? not over produced?

3. Put out the last JLU EXTREMELY overprice. People purchased them anyways. and what the did the get? lopsided legs? when the china "knockoffs" come out better than your "finished" product, the problem is yours, mattel, not ours.

I would say DC fans are probably some of the most passionate fans out there. But there are tons of them out there. Its just that more than not, they wont blindly leap into what Mattel is telling/selling them. and thats no ones fault but Mattels.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:47 pm 
Resin

CJF28 wrote:
This part of the Q&A pisses me off the most

"Q5. As we now come to the end of the first year of the DC Club Infinite Earths subscription can you talk about what you have learned in this first year of what fans want in a pure collector line? Any reactions that have surprised you? Anything you have implemented for year 2?

A5. The biggest key learning was DC fans are very passionate but in the end not as numerous as customers. We will continue to put out DC 6″ figures as long as there is a customer base to support our min quota."

This answer really pissed me off, too. Of all the things Mattel could have learned from the first year of DCIE (how to make fans happy, what characters work best, how to maximize what fans get, how to improve quality, ensure proper delivery of characters, etc. etc. etc.) they choose instead to say that they learned that there are not enough DC fans? Are you ****ing kidding me? Mattel needs to clear house. This pervasive notion that, as a business, that they should bear no risk, but rather that fans should blindly give a major company all their money up front is totally backwards and is almost extortion. They monopolize the DC license and the 4 Horsemen, and if we don't pay them up front, we get nothing. That's insane.

I first began to like Mattel when Scott was posting here - like Jesse Falcon did on Fwoosh - and when Mattel changed the head on Firestorm after hearing fans' reaction. This really impressed me, and I was a huge fan of the company and the product. Since then, Mattel's reputation has turned to **** as far as I'm concerned. Their business tactics and responses to fans have been nothing but disappointing and insulting, and it clouds even whatever joy I can derive from their products because I know I'm funding people who don't deserve my business.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:47 pm 
ABS

oh, I also forgot the awesome Back to the Future hoverboard experience.

There's a reason I dont give them as much money as they would like.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:04 am 
ABS

The thing is, they didn't even answer the question that was asked of them, which is disheartening.

At the very least--and something I take solace in--as long as we hit the minimum year in and year out, the subscription will continue. As long as prices are reasonable, that's all I ask for.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:32 am 
Daniel Pickett

I have to admit I was also disappointed in that answer. I worked very hard on the question hoping to get an insightful answer... and instead go that. Which doesn't even really make sense since the sub DID go through with enough folks this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:05 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Tries hard not to laugh at all the 6-inch fans that told us JLU fans to suck it up every time they gave US that answer.

If nothing else, haven't they learned that whether true or not, that phrase is a "button pusher"? Sheesh.

And not to mention they want everyone to blindly commit up front, never mind how many horror stories are reported about Digital River.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:00 pm 
Knows his stuff

texgnome1 wrote:
Tries hard not to laugh at all the 6-inch fans that told us JLU fans to suck it up every time they gave US that answer.

(nodding)

texgnome1 wrote:
And not to mention they want everyone to blindly commit up front, never mind how many horror stories are reported about Digital River...

...and Mattel.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:31 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

somebody knows if Toys R Us and Target carry DC Unlimited or Batman Unlimited action figures? i can't find in LA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:11 pm 
Resin

Alboraptor wrote:
somebody knows if Toys R Us and Target carry DC Unlimited or Batman Unlimited action figures? i can't find in LA

No one carries Mattel figures anymore, because Mattel kills every single line, because the people hired to be in charge of the lines don't understand who their audience is or how to sell toys.

I've only seen DC/Batman Unlimited in specialty shops - where I won't buy them because they're even more expensive than what the insulting big-box retailer prices normally are.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:57 am 
Cold-cast

Mattel translation: "Um, yeah, don't hold your breath suckas...Club Infinite Earths soon go bye bye."

Mattel is not very good at producing any DC figure unless its tied to a TV show or movie. And even in those cases, there are some major fails (the Young Justice fiasco, the stupid Brave and Bold gaping arm holes).

But the good news is that DC Collectibles is really stepping up their game, and so are other smaller companies like Hot Toys, Square Enix, Play Imaginative, Sideshow, etc.

I really don't see why McFarlane can get his stuff distributed to the big box stores, but DC Collectibles can't seem to make the jump. They should just bring all the major DC lines (at least DCUC and Animated) back in house and do it up right. DC...you don't need Mattel anymore! Why compete for resources with He-Man and Barbie when you have your own toy company?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:03 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

Can Mattel confirm that it is Kevin Conroy's voice in the 10" Batman figure in their evergreen line as Jason Lensi professed in a GSI podcast?