Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need Popeye experts help
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:02 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I'm trying to buy some of the toys I remember as a kid. This site has been a HUGE help so far. This one might be a little more tricky because I'm trying to remember something from around 3rd grade which would have made it around 1978. This kid had a Popeye figure that you could put together like a puzzle. I think you could snap his arms and legs on. It seemed like it came in a plastic container like one you would get out of a gumball machine...the large ones not the little ones that a ring might come in. I'm talking the 25 cent gumball machine size. So I'm sure Popeye coundn't have been more than 2 inches tall. Does this ring a bell to anyone. I feel like it was probably a chinese knock off or something and will be impossible to find.

Post subject: Re: Need Popeye experts help
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:33 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

I found this, looks like what you describe but is very unlikely as it would have already been 50 years old at the time.

Quote:
As early as 1932, Jaymar Specialty Company was making a wood jointed Popeye figure. In 1936, they brought out the MAKE YOUR OWN POPEYE FAMILY with Wood Parts including figures of Popeye, Olive, Wimpy and Eugene the Jeep.

I also found this, which falls in the right time frame.

Quote:
70s Italian Olive Oyl figure from I Componibili by Gio Cas Bologna, K.F.S. licensed product. About 2 inches and a half tall, aprx. 6 cm. To assemble. This item comes sealed in baggie, mint and complete in match box type package.

Google is your friend.

CCC.

Post subject: Re: Need Popeye experts help
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:18 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

The second picture of Olive is pretty close to what I remember. Thank you so much! I think this will get me on the right track. I've never seen that wooden "build your own figure" Popeye set, but I want it. Very cool. Thanks again.