Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mattel Wants to Know - Do you want cheaper figures?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:15 am 
ABS

Please don't misinterpret my following post as "calling anyone out." I just wanted to point out that the shipping calculators being mentioned in this discussion are using rates based on individuals rather than business rates. Business/corporate rates tend to be significantly lower than the rates shipping services charge individuals.

Many shipping services offer adjusted rates based on factors such as volume and address classification of the sender/recipient (this includes both UPS and USPS) to their clients. If you are a corporation sending out thousands of packages a day, you pay a cheaper rate than a single individual who is mailing a single package at the post office or UPS store.

Another key variable is the address classification. An individual who mails an item from a residential address to another residential address pays a higher rate than a business account who mails to a residential rate. It gets even cheaper if it is a business account mailing to a business address (this is particularly true of UPS).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:01 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

True, a very good point BC. Using the Business Calculator though shipping is $8.13 Parcel to me and $7.49 Priority from 98424. I still don't get that at all as Priority is faster yet cheaper. No one truly knows except Mattel/DR though and the postal services so this is all still speculation. They might get even more discounts then what the business calculator shows.

It seems zone 1, 2,3,4 might be paying a little extra. No clue why. Maybe Mattel/DR wants to keep costs the same for everyone or make more $$ or a bit of both. I don't see them reducing shipping though so this is probably a waste of time talking about this anymore.

Based on polls on he-man.org I doubt they remove the packaging. Too many MOC collectors and they would lose a lot of business. So far 1/3 of the people have said they are MOC collectors.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:17 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

I would like to vote for getting rid of the packaging as well-- its not needed...

And in regards to shipping-- other than USPS- its done on volume-- and we are talking about a shipping/distribution company--

My company gets 40% off posted shipping rates on UPS and Fed Ex websites-- and thats with us just mostly shipping intercompany mail-UPS and Fed ex were not created for personal use- just business (and they increase the costs for residential to residential)-

Trust me-- DR/Matty are racking up the dollars in shipping costs...I ship ebay all time- and their is no excuse for the rates they are charging us- I can ship a DCUC figure for pretty much under 6.25 almost anywhere to the US- Priority-- Amazon can do it for free over a certain threshold-- I think DR/Matty could do tons to lower their shipping costs-- they just dont want to bother.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:50 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

ian5555 wrote:

So do I. I have sold MOTUC figures before and for USPS priority for 1 figure is close to $8.00 every time for a 12 x 9 x 6 box that weighs around 1.1 lbs If you try to ship the same box with UPS ground it is $13.50 around (shipping from Oklahoma to either coast).

In comparison Matty is $9.90 shipping one figure to me USPS, $15.00 for UPS ground. 2 figures on Matty is $11.00 for me which is about right what it cost me to send 2 figures MIB.

I'm not seeing this double the actual price people are talking about. Throw in the cost of boxes and paying someone to mail stuff for you and they are probably making very little.

Also, Matty/DR has nothing to do with shipping routes.

Keep in mind that Matty is a business and receives different quotes. I have worked shipping retail product before and their prices can be as little as 1/2 what you pay if you walk into a UPS store. In some cases, UPS also provides all the shipping material (boxes, etc....) so they can't even say they're paying for boxes.

And I'm seeing at least 3 people beat me to that point.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:46 pm 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

Having worked in Trucking, I can say that Matty probably has a UPS trailer sitting at their dock right now. Everything goes in that trailer and a truck comes and gets it, and drops another, every day. They pay for 1 bulk pick up daily, not multiple drivers all day long. That trailer then goes to a distribution center where everything is sorted by destination zones. USPS functions basically the same way. I used to live just north of Houston. Mail came into the main PO and spent a day being sorted, went past us to Conroe and spent a day being sorted, went past us to Humble and spent a day being sorted, then got delivered. Thankfully service has improved in the last 40 years.

CCC.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:23 pm 
Displays Backwards

Is this just for the MOTU line? I never bought any because I thought they were too expensive in the first place.

I did pick up Rorschach, but I have to say that it is the crappiest $10 shipping I have ever seen.

I didn't need the fancy packaging for $25, but maybe when I finally get him I will love it.

$35 for a figure, fancy packaging I don't need and crappy slow shipping? At this rate, Matty is going to be dead in a few years, and all we are going to get at retail is cheap junk. We didn't realize how good we had it just a few years back.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:45 am 
declined to be a vampire

What kind of question is this? Of course we want cheaper figures.

And I want them at retail again. I think that should be another focus.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:21 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

Bunger43 wrote:
What kind of question is this? Of course we want cheaper figures.

And I want them at retail again. I think that should be another focus.

I think a relaunch at retail following the same pattern as the original DCUC waves would be great. But they would need to make it A and B lister heavy, with ADVERTISING that the place to get C to Z listers is the Matty sub. Use the sub to give the hard core fans the teams and characters that are high on their lists, but would be peg warmers at retail for the mom, kid, casual buyer market.

As far as cutting back on production costs, here's my take on it....

1. The quality control is already shaky, always has been, so that can't be allowed to get any worse by using cheaper materials.

2. The paint apps are important, but use your money wisely, don't paint something that can be cast in the correct colour unless its is actually cheaper to do so. And don't paint things like the shading on Netossa's cape that is going to look bad and be unnecessary.

3. Give people signing up to the sub the choice of packaged or bagged figures and price them accordingly. Those that want the extra packaging can pay a a little more for it and those that just want the figure can save some cash and not be stuck with card and plastic they throw out straight away. It would work as you get the sub orders in before you produce the figures so you'd know how many to package each way.

4. Accessories that are character specific need to stay for sub figures and retail. But it may be a good idea to save these for a "weapons pack' of sorts, that can be added as an optional extra at the end of the sub year, so that those who want the accessories can pick them up, but those that don't won't have to.

5. Stop making figures wrong by using the wrong bucks. For every adult sized buck thats used for a teen character, there's probably enough extra plastic used to make an accessory. So if you had done Red Robin on the teen buck like it should have been, the plastic you saved could have made another Lantern construct. Same goes with not using the DCSH Darkseid buck for Lead.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:26 am 
declined to be a vampire

I remember DCSH at 8.99. That would've been what, 2003 or 2004? Something close to that. I know the Batman line was 2003 as we had just moved to Indy and that's when I found them.

I think when DCUC started they were 11.99?

Last at retail they were 16.99-18.99 at stores.

I don't believe that costs have gone up that much. I realize costs have gone up, but more than double what these figures started?

Give me next to nothing in packaging and I don't care about accessories. Give me 12 dollar 6 inch figures again and I'll buy them like they are going out of style.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:15 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

elvis8batman wrote:

3. Give people signing up to the sub the choice of packaged or bagged figures and price them accordingly. Those that want the extra packaging can pay a a little more for it and those that just want the figure can save some cash and not be stuck with card and plastic they throw out straight away. It would work as you get the sub orders in before you produce the figures so you'd know how many to package each way.

This would not help lower the cost-- since they are still paying for the design work and approvals, not to mention the economy of scale of going one way or the other in packaging-- (I dont think they would pass that much more of the cost just to one segment-- the direct packaging costs maybe-- but they would split the indirect costs over the entire product budget-- so there wouldnt be that much savings-- its pretty much going to have to be an all or none kind of thing with that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:20 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

stewbacca wrote:
elvis8batman wrote:

This would not help lower the cost-- since they are still paying for the design work and approvals, not to mention the economy of scale of going one way or the other in packaging-- (I dont think they would pass that much more of the cost just to one segment-- the direct packaging costs maybe-- but they would split the indirect costs over the entire product budget-- so there wouldnt be that much savings-- its pretty much going to have to be an all or none kind of thing with that.

Well if it did have to be an all or nothing deal on sub figures, I vote for less packaging. As long as my figures arrive un-damaged, I don't need lots of packaging that I only throw away.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:12 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I agree, but they are going to fragment their (all ready small) market even further. MOC/MIP guys make up a large percentage of their customer base.

Not to mention those who buy two: one to keep and one to open. While a smaller percentage, that would still be a net loss as those guys revert to buying only one.

No matter which way they go, somebody's gonna grouse about it, unfortunately.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:45 pm 
serves the Otter

Shellhead wrote:
I agree, but they are going to fragment their (all ready small) market even further. MOC/MIP guys make up a large percentage of their customer base.

As do international Specialty & Comic Book Stores... or am I the only one that remembers the Castle Grayskull meter jumping almost 20% on account of some last minute "German Orders." Anyways... assuming that bit of information TG dropped last year is actually true... I would think those guys would want to preserve the packaging. You know... 'cause it makes retail life easier. Either way, true or false, not how I would approach things. After all, any drop in value (perceived or real) will inevitably cause some fans to drop the subscription, which will make next year's minimum order number even harder to acquire than this year's.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:38 pm 
PVC

I am a MOC collector for the most part. I love my figures in their ''PLASTIC PRISONS''!! I will say that if they went to a old school card and bubble type packaging, that might save a bit instead of packaging them in a box. Either way, I am not for bagged figures. If they went to bagging the figures I would not get the sub. For me, the packaging is a part of the figure and looks great displayed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:19 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Joe G. wrote:
I will be the first to say it:

They'll consider polybagging He-Man figures, but when JLU collectors mentioned it as a way to keep costs down, they SCOFFED.

It's funny, 'cause it's true. Truthfully, it's ironically unfortunate.

Cheaper is better. Polybag? Fine. Less/zero accessories? Okay. Fewer decos? That would depend on how 'few' we're talking about.

Matty, bring back JLU in baggies, and I'm all in :)

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next