Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mattel Wants to Know - Do you want cheaper figures?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:53 pm 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

Howard the Duck wrote:
Less/zero accessories? Okay.

That depends. Iron Man without plasma blasts? Ok. Spiderman without webs? Ok. Captain America without his shield?

CCC.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:31 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Yeah, it depends on how intrinsic the accessory is.

Surfer needs his board, Thor must have his hammer, DD's gotta have his billyclub, and Thanos needs the Gauntlet.

Does Punisher need more than one gun? Nope.

Thing, Hulk, Torch, Invisible Woman, Colossus, etc. need no accessories.

But I'm sure there's somebody right in the middle where some people will really want accessories and some won't.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:37 am 
Loose, Missing Package

It's like lanterns... I've never understood the need to have the lanterns included, it's not like they use them in combat...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:22 am 
Fugitive Dust

As far as I can tell, the question posed was for MOTUC...so can we not give Mattel the inclination to do the same for the DC subscriber line until this question is actually posed to us?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:43 am 
declined to be a vampire

Shellhead wrote:

Surfer needs his board, Thor must have his hammer, DD's gotta have his billyclub, and Thanos needs the Gauntlet.

But I'm sure there's somebody right in the middle where some people will really want accessories and some won't.

Good thing Mattel doesn't make any of those figures, so we don't have to worry about it!

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:48 am 

starks wrote:
As far as I can tell, the question posed was for MOTUC...so can we not give Mattel the inclination to do the same for the DC subscriber line until this question is actually posed to us?

and since when did Mattel ever show us the same level of respect as MOTUC, much less what we deserve?

CCC.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:49 am 

Bunger43 wrote:
Shellhead wrote:

Good thing Mattel doesn't make any of those figures, so we don't have to worry about it!

Oh, ok...Green Arrow without his bow?

Oh, that's right, they already did that. :roll: :shock: :lol:

CCC.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:24 am 

Does Batman need a Batarang?

I'd like him to have one, but if it'll shave off some money, I can live without it. 50 cents cheaper? I'll just give him one from an older figure.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:21 am 
categorically opposed

I wouldn't be surprised if this was only being floated by for MOTUC because Mattel owns the brand. There's a possibility that DC wouldn't let their characters get shipped out in a polybag. Since it's been stated several times that the DC approvals process is always a fustercluck, they may take exception to the idea. I could see DC being more elitist about it than Mattel, since Mattel isn't even elitist enough to have a properly functioning collector website.

And as for JLU, making them cheaper wouldn't have helped enough to save the line anyway - in fact, they may have sold even less when factoring in the MOC-only collectors.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:32 am 
declined to be a vampire

I enjoy both of the Green Arrow figures I have, and I couldn't care less if he had his bow. If that meant saving 2 bucks or so on the figure, then save me the 2 bucks.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:03 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I'll get on my soapbox for a minute here and I'm sure I'll catch some grief for this but oh well. I'm a collector but it never ceases to amaze me the mindset of some collectors. I used to sell a lot on Ebay as buying lots, keeping what I needed and then selling the rest was a great way to finish a collection w/o spending a lot of $$. Helps justify collecting when you are married now I just buy wtf ever I want, f it :)

Anyway, I have been selling a lot of my collection to focus more on vintage as I have WAY too much stuff and this is an example of the kind of collector that just pisses me off and why I think Mattel can never win at this game. Now this isn't to say that I do not think they are shady at times and want money (whick I think is the whole reason to go into business of course) The following story is a good example of why I commonly go against the norm here and I could provide example after example of cases like this.

I sold a Bom Vimdin Star Wars Vintage Collection MOC and I included a protech case with it. Auction ended for .99 cents, good deal for the guy,gets a free case and I charged the guy $7.99 for shipping to Virginia from Oklahoma. It cost me $7.95 to send it, a new box was around $1.00 and Ebay and Paypal take their cut. So I basically sold it for free. No big deal need to get rid of some stuff.

Now, when he gets it I guess USPS claims I didn't pay enough in shipping and charged him $2.17. Dunno what that is about but the guy proceeds to message me all about how he shouldn't have to pay the $2.00 and blah blah blah and doesn't want to have to report me to Ebay. I mean he really wrote up a whole deal on it. I honestly was like he deserves the $2.00 just cause he put all that time into it.

That being said I get that he overpaid a little but the fact that this moron whines over $2.00 is just laughable. Get a f-ing life dude. So I sent back a message that I refunded his $2.00 because clearly he needed the $$ more than I did and to spend it wisely. It will be worth the negative feedback.

I guess the point is I used to whine about pricing when JLU figures jumped on MC to $20 a single (Lobo) but then I decided you know what, that is their price I can either suck it up and buy it or I don't. I realize it can be hard for people when prices keep rising and rising and I get this is the place to vent. I just don't think I am getting screwed too bad here, but it seems others are so in that regard it's not cool of Mattel to do that. Of course my example was not in anyway like the current Mattel situation but it is an example of the kind of expectation I think some people have in this hobby and it SUCKS dealing with a lot of them and I do not envy Mattel in the least for dealing with that kind of collector.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:08 pm 

Amen, brother.

It's the entitlement attitude. I see it all the time in my classroom. Some kids that just because they show up every day, they are entitled to pass.

Can't wait to see what the workforce looks like in 10 years, because a lot of these kids simply don't want to work.

That being said, I do think Matty is reaching the point of diminishing returns on pricing, as is Hasbro. I just don't know if I can justify paying over $10 for a 3.75er or over $20 for a 6 incher.

Especially if the quality keeps going down. If trends continue, that'll be get for me. I'm already there with comics, having cut back significantly. Looks like toys are next. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:23 pm 
Collector Inspector

I was on the other side of a transaction like that recently. I bought a Collect and Connect piece from a seller on ebay. The total I paid was $8.00 ($5.50 sale price ams $2.50 was the "stated" fixed shipping price). When I received it, I got a note from my mailman saying I owed him $1.05! The seller came up short on his end of the shipping.

For a split second, I considered complaining or giving him negative feedback, but eh...life's more important than an extra dollar. I swallowed the cost, whatever. I really can't stand customers that complain about every little detail in a restaurant or waiting in line for something or other. Time is way more valuable to me. I'm constantly paying more than I think I should for toys. I read about people getting better deals than me on the message boards and I try not to fret about it too much.

Honestly , I think the "norm" here is usually people defending Mattel "as a business and they're in it too make maximum profits, this is capitalism, you guys should just be thankful, etc, etc", which is why I gave up saying here that Mattel should throw a bone to collectors once in a awhile for long-term brand loyalty and company satisfaction-- often a priceless commodity. I know that if a company treats me right , I keep coming back. That's a good thing right? And as I said up above, I'm not (edit) one of these needy customers. I think I'm right though...judging from the boards , people are losing faith and devotion to Mattel's DC toys. The fact that there are no toys on the shelves - EVER - doesn't exactly help either. And people don't seem to be jumping for joy over their subscription. But ...maybe I'm wrong!

I don't dismiss that there are rising costs. They have a budget. They know their customer baseline, supposedly. But I think the the collector's devotion and loyalty has been stretched- with cancelled lines, products that were played up at trade conventions but never delivered, C+C promotions that aren't being stocked by retailers, more shortcuts on paint and parts, no accessories and stands, Digital River problems, confusing choices with premium subscription figures like Red Rocket's size and Phantom Strangers face, etc, and on and on.

Now that I've got the Metal Men , I'm kinda done with Mattel and their DC toys...unless they go all out on 3.75 inch line, but that probably won't ever happen ...at least as far as I can see right now.

With rising costs, I'm cutting my collecting down anyway. I'm buying less, and being more selective, and it's a good exercise. I would like to say that Mattel's packaging is excellent stuff visually (although , wastefully). They do a great job in that department. I'm more pro-packaging, but hey, I'm not a subscriber so if subscribers want no packaging than that might be a way to go.

Last edited by funtime3 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:27 pm 

Can't beat your logic either, Funtime.

It's almost like the problem is becoming systemic. I fear the Silver Age of toy collecting (the 80's were the Golden) is over.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:37 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Totally agree with both your posts guys. I wasn't really upset, maybe $2.00 really was a lot to the guy but then checking his purchase history out of curiosity mainly it was just video games, comic books and toys and I really had no sympathy for him then. Now if it was $5.00 or something sure I'd feel a little bit ripped off and prolly said something out of principal but the fact he got a HELL of a deal and then has the audacity to threaten to put a claim in over $2.00? What a loser, sorry that is just how I see it.

And I do still believe about the only thing that saves DC for Mattel is a 3.75 line. I would be all over that if it was like MU. Kinda de-railed the thread there, my bad.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next