Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Iron Man 3 3.75" figure line
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:28 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Wow. They finally did it. Back to 5 POA. :shock:

And to think IM2 was only three years ago, which means the toys were designed/produced 4 years ago.

I guess Iron Legends and Lego will be it for me.

That's a real bummer for this Iron Man fan.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:29 pm 
3 3/4"

The operative term is "ACTION-Figure"

I'm sure an apologist is going to say "but they are for kids." or some such nonsense. I'll just put it simply: I predict the 3 & 3/4 line for IM 3 is going to be one of the biggest retail disasters for Hasbro ever.

Those peices of garbage actually managed to exceed my lowered expectations (and after the assemblers they were pretty low). At least the GL figures had some detailing to them, dear god.

Nowhere in business has turning back the quality ever worked out, it won't here as well, I just wonder if Hasbro will figure that out too late or not.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:37 pm 
The Last Word

Shellhead wrote:
Wow. They finally did it. Back to 5 POA. :shock:
Judging by EE's price for a case, which averages out to $6.25 each, it's possible retailers (and by retailers, I mean Walmart) demanded something less expensive than the $9.99 Avengers figures. "If Mattel can give us Batman figures to sell for $5.99, you should be able to give us Iron Man figures for the same price."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:11 pm 

Probably true, but it still sucks.

I used to laugh at the GL and Dark Knight 3.75 figures.

Now I guess the jokes on me. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:43 pm 
shirtless hugger

Aww man these figures hurt.

I've always been a little figure guy myself. Sure, the WWE figures I buy are 6 inchers, and I have a bunch of other 6 inch figs, but my real love is for the 3 3/4 figs. So when Hasbro gets cheap and Mattel thinks the little figs are for kids and big figs are for adults, I just kinda get left out in the blue.

But the way action figures are going, with prices creeping up and quality creeping down to whatever the hell this IM3 line is supposed to be, there is just not gonna be much for us collectors - except for online figs, which can range from pricey (Matty) to crazy (Japanese stuff for example, the GI Joe Club, etc).

But retail aisles full of cheap sh*t that nobody wants isn't gonna be good for anybody.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:30 am 
The Last Word

Shellhead wrote:
Probably true, but it still sucks.

I used to laugh at the GL and Dark Knight 3.75 figures.

Now I guess the jokes on me. :(
Personally, I own all the Iron Man figures I'd ever care to have. My best friend, however, was really looking forward to adding more armor versions to his collection, so this is a disappointment for him, as well. Fingers crossed for some collector-friendly "deluxe" figures or something to be shown next month. :?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:34 am 

At least give us a "deluxe" version of the main armor from the new movie. Of course, we'll be deluged with wave one and two figures, so who knows if we'll ever see them.

I'm still annoyed at how much I had to pay for a green Mandarin from Iron Man 2.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:10 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Well i saw the new lower price point figures in Meijers yesterday for spiderman-

- Personally I am a fan of less articulation-- but not the less sculpting thats seeming to come along with it. Part of it could be their choices-- generic new movie spidey and translucent blue (stealth or shadow spidey)-- with 6 of each in a case-- they arent going to move any time soon...

Because these new spiderman figures suck (its like they took the bad Spidey movie figures and made them even worse...)

I guess Hasbro does figure if every single store is going to litter the aisle with crappy figures (the cheap Matty Batman ones)-- they figure it might as well be with their crappy figures no one will buy)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:22 am 

I know it's and age old debate, but for me, a 3.75er must have at least:

A)neck
B)waist
C)shoulder (pref. ball and socket, but can live without)
D)elbow with the swivel capability
E) leg (pref ball and socket or the 4H hinge joint)
F) knee

Wrists and an ab crunch are nice, but not mandatory. Ankle joints can be great . . . if they are tight. I really like rocker ankles.

Heck, if you really pushed me, I could live without knees. But what can you do with a figure that has no waist or elbows? Standing position, flying position, and one arm sticking out position. That's it! :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:42 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Shellhead wrote:
Ankle joints can be great . . .
:evil:

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Since the governments out to ban us from everything else that causes problems-- I would add Ankle Joints to that list - they are definitely more problematic than 32 oz sodas :wink: -- the bane of action figure collecting-- preventing figures from standing up-- and not allowing proper depth peg holes since they were created...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:45 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

The Ultimate Spider-Man figures are ATROCIOUS. I saw them on the pegs and cried a little while puking on the figures. If the Iron Man ones are even close to this bad, I won't be able to enter the toy section again.

This kind of stuff is/will be acceptable to me ONLY if MU becomes the "premium" line, gets regular releases in the future, and retains most of its previous features (sculpt, paint, articulation). I would understand the differentiation of price points then and be able to live with it. If not, though, I'll pretty much be able to give up toy collecting completely after toning it WAY down in the last couple of years.

And they called DCIH "Happy Meal Toys." This is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:33 am 
The Last Word

stewbacca wrote:
the bane of action figure collecting-- preventing figures from standing up-- and not allowing proper depth peg holes since they were created...
Interesting. I don't have these problems with any of my 3¾" figures. Even on the rare figure who has a problem standing due to loose joints, it's at the hip, not the ankle.

Of course, my Nick Fury from The Avengers line has a foot glued in place. The peg for his ankle was stuck in the bottom of the leg, and it snapped right out of the package. Had that happen with a couple of wrists in the past, but his was the first ankle.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:00 am 
3 3/4"

Eric Qel-Droma wrote:
The Ultimate Spider-Man figures are ATROCIOUS. I saw them on the pegs and cried a little while puking on the figures. If the Iron Man ones are even close to this bad, I won't be able to enter the toy section again.

This kind of stuff is/will be acceptable to me ONLY if MU becomes the "premium" line, gets regular releases in the future, and retains most of its previous features (sculpt, paint, articulation). I would understand the differentiation of price points then and be able to live with it. If not, though, I'll pretty much be able to give up toy collecting completely after toning it WAY down in the last couple of years.

And they called DCIH "Happy Meal Toys." This is ridiculous.

DCIH is like Microman compaired to these things.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:20 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

Caped Crusader wrote:
stewbacca wrote:
the bane of action figure collecting-- preventing figures from standing up-- and not allowing proper depth peg holes since they were created...
Interesting. I don't have these problems with any of my 3¾" figures. Even on the rare figure who has a problem standing due to loose joints, it's at the hip, not the ankle.

Of course, my Nick Fury from The Avengers line has a foot glued in place. The peg for his ankle was stuck in the bottom of the leg, and it snapped right out of the package. Had that happen with a couple of wrists in the past, but his was the first ankle.

I have had problems with my Trek ERTL and Mego Buck Rogers, both being like Joes, but replace the O ring and they are usually good. I seldom have trouble with newer figures except like DCIH Raven where balance is an issue and a stand is needed.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:35 pm 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

I saw IM3 at Target today for $5.99. 3 new paint apps will look good in Hall of Armor, and the price is acceptable. They were like GL figures, straight legs and ball shoulders.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next