Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mattel Wants to Know - Do you want cheaper figures?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:02 am 
declined to be a vampire

Was shipping label printed, or did you go to teh post office, weight it and pay from there? If you did that, then I'd say screw it. That's on the post office. The guy can take it up with them.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:15 am 
ABS

Sorry ian, I'd side with the guy on this one. He paid the price set forth (which is a binding contract between you and him) & then was told he had to pay more? That's BS. It might not have been any fault on your own, or maybe you screwed up on the shipping costs on your end, I don't know. I've never heard of that happening to tell you the truth. I'd question why he would have to pay it rather than the USPS going to you and having you pay it. I don't know all the ins and outs of eBay, but I've never had to pay more at any time I purchased something from there. And to say, "he needed it more" is just plain arrogance on your part. It's not just the principle of the matter, it's just not right for him to pay more than what he was obligated to do at the outset. You told him to pay X amount. He did. Now someone is telling him to pay Y. That's not fair.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:39 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I'm not disagreeing with any of that, he certainly should have not had to pay anymore but my point is he took the time to write this long message to me and threatened to get Ebay involved over $2.00. That is pathetic imo. You can call it arrogance if you want.

I just think it is a funny story and a reminder to me of how petty people can be in this hobby.

The expectation of charging actual shipping is hilarious to me. I'm not sure who the hell came up with it but customers all the time act like they are being ripped off if they do not pay the actual shipping that USPS or any mail carrier charges you. Then when you explain the cost of the box, packing materials, time spent taking the item are factored in increases the shipping cost to them they get mad. I'm actually had people tell me to go to wal-mart and get free boxes out of the trash. Are kidding me? Forget that.

Honestly I think sellers should charge enough shipping to also cover the cost of Ebay and Paypal fees. It is a cost to them not to mention that you get charged a percentage of shipping now. Or Ebay should just tack on a percentage to the item so the buyer at least pays half the fees. As a buyer who buys a lot I would be ok with that. Even though I do look for the best deal sure but I'm not going to whine and cry over a couple bucks. To be honest he is most likely a very unhappy person and a pansy irl so feels the need to do stuff like this because he knows what the result will be.

I have never threatened negative feedback and to get Ebay involved to resolve a problem first and that is what I find truly pathetic about this guy.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:55 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Careful ian, that's dangerous close to being un-PC.

:wink:

You don't want the thought police knocking on your brain pan, do you?

:lol:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:23 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Yeah, it's a gift. I fully expect some whiplash on that one.

/ducks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:29 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

I have come up shy on a couple of postage estimates on ebay not long ago. I chose to eat it, it just wasn't worth it. Besides, it evens out in the end.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:34 pm 
5" Scale

So was the first message he sent sent a threat Ian? I still disagree that we're aren't getting what we pay for in shipping, but I agree with you on this one. Although it sounds more like they are a cyber bully more than a pansy ass. Now that the internet has given everyone a voice everyone is a teflon god. The total lack of respect between folks astonishes me more and more. Clearly, this is someone who has very little control in their own lives, so they project their frustrations online. Anyway, I definitely agree that the fee's should be factored in when it comes to the shipping and handling or at least give a discount to the sellers who aren't power sellers. It kind of feels like eBay wants nothing but them anymore. I'm actually wondering if I'm going to bother selling some old Ultimate Soldier vehicles on there when I'm ready? I'm kind of leery because I'm not going to haggle over shipping given the size of these things. Like Shellhead or someone said, gone are the silver ages of collecting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:02 pm 
3 3/4"

I'm kinda confused as to how someone can not pay all of the shipping cost and the buyer has to pay the rest of it. How the hell does that even happen?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:18 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

You know, I once won a MOC Super Powers Braniac on Ebay and when it made it to the "Out for Delivery" stage my mail carrier refused to put it in the box and instead left a note reading, "$1.05 postage due" for my package. Now I questioned this knowing that I had paid the sender in full and I wondered if he just messed up or was trying to cheat me or whatever. So I called the Post Office the next day and asked the lady in charge there what was going on. She went into the back to find my package (which took a lot longer than she even expected) and said it was there if I wanted to come pick it up and that she didn't understand the postage due message and that she would take care of it. I got there and mentioned the woman's name and that she was taking care of the charges. So 2 different clerks went to the back to get it and neither could find it. Finally one of the clerks decided to go look in a place where it wasn't supposed to be and found it. As he was walking back to his register he said, "Hmmm, Some how it got put back in with the items that have postage due but I can see here where it was already paid for." Then with a disgusted look on his face he said, "Wait a second... somebody along the line wrote how heavy the package is on the box - 1.05 lbs. That goofy carrier! That's how much it weighs not postage due! I'm not even sure why he would think that it meant postage due. *sigh* Sorry about that." So all I can say on the matter is it's not always the seller's fault. Sometimes it's the post office that drops the ball. Well, at least the got my package to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:48 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

The_Donster wrote:
So was the first message he sent sent a threat Ian? I still disagree that we're aren't getting what we pay for in shipping, but I agree with you on this one. Although it sounds more like they are a cyber bully more than a pansy ass. Now that the internet has given everyone a voice everyone is a teflon god. The total lack of respect between folks astonishes me more and more. Clearly, this is someone who has very little control in their own lives, so they project their frustrations online. Anyway, I definitely agree that the fee's should be factored in when it comes to the shipping and handling or at least give a discount to the sellers who aren't power sellers. It kind of feels like eBay wants nothing but them anymore. I'm actually wondering if I'm going to bother selling some old Ultimate Soldier vehicles on there when I'm ready? I'm kind of leery because I'm not going to haggle over shipping given the size of these things. Like Shellhead or someone said, gone are the silver ages of collecting.

Yeah, it was basically "give me my 2.00 or I am going to give you negative feedback and open a case with Ebay". I almost said fu do it BUT I do agree as some have said he shouldn't of had to pay the extra shipping. I just didn't like how he handled it. No idea why USPS did that, I'm usually spot on with my shipping.

And after seeing more of what people are saying Donster I would have to agree with you on the shipping thing now at least in zones 1, 2,3 and 4 from what I have seen are paying double so I stand corrected there. Luckily for me I really do not intend to buy too much more from Matty now that JLU is over.

The silver ages are def over. I miss the days as a kid in the 80's walking into TRU and seeing SO many action figures you didn't even know what to buy. You had your birthday list and Christmas list in your head in a few minutes for that year or could find them all in the Sears and JC Penney Christmas Catalog. It's just depressing now lol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:54 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

MisterMiracle wrote:
I'm kinda confused as to how someone can not pay all of the shipping cost and the buyer has to pay the rest of it. How the hell does that even happen?

Simple-- you use that auto postage feature through paypal or stamps. com, but lie about the weight of the package-- drop off the package at the post office or in the mailbox-- at some point along the way it gets weighed by the system and the find that they underpaid on postage-- instead of returning to sender- the continue delivery with postage due-- with all these automated systems available Im surprised it doesnt happen much more often.

I get more discouraged when people charge me what they actually pay for postage-- but dont understand how to ship items cheaply (and protected)-- flat rate envelopes, boxes and the new flat rate bubble mailers are your friends, ive payed double or triple for items that the sender could have sent a different way much cheaper--( however its still usually cheaper than Digital River Charges us)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:18 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

stewbacca wrote:
MisterMiracle wrote:

Simple-- you use that auto postage feature through paypal or stamps. com, but lie about the weight of the package-- drop off the package at the post office or in the mailbox-- at some point along the way it gets weighed by the system and the find that they underpaid on postage-- instead of returning to sender- the continue delivery with postage due-- with all these automated systems available Im surprised it doesnt happen much more often.

I get more discouraged when people charge me what they actually pay for postage-- but dont understand how to ship items cheaply (and protected)-- flat rate envelopes, boxes and the new flat rate bubble mailers are your friends, ive payed double or triple for items that the sender could have sent a different way much cheaper--( however its still usually cheaper than Digital River Charges us)

I didn't lie about anything, thank you very much. I have a USPS scale at home and weighed it. Now could I have made a mistake? Possible, but I highly doubt it when I paid $7.95 in shipping already and I have never paid $10 for a package that weighs just over a lb to either coast.

About boxes though this is why I buy new boxes in most cases, packing peanuts and bubble wrap. As a collector I know how I am about packages as I collect a lot of stuff MOC so I want them protected and I get a lot of stuff AFA'd so I don't want anything happening to it. DR does really drop the ball on packing even though most of the items come in a white box.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:31 am 
5th Horseman

In all honesty, I think if you're going to collect action figures, you should simply be aware that it's an expensive hobby, and price hikes just come with the territory. While I am not a carded figure collector (with the exception of a few carded vintage figures I own and the vintage style Star Wars collection), I think those collectors that enjoy the packaging shouldn't be denied that. Toy packaging is another form of artwork that is enjoyed by many collectors. Also, I would much rather have better quality figures at slightly higher prices than bland/plain figures that are truly a disappointment. Ever see the "cheap" versions of licensed property action figures at dollar stores, etc? They're extremely disappointing. Sure, figures aren't as cheap as they used to be. Sure, companies make money on us (but that's how they keep us in the goods). But, all that being said, I wouldn't freely choose to contribute to the degradation of any toy line to save a few $5-$10 per figure. It is what it is. It's not perfect, but I would prefer to not rock an already leaky boat.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:43 am 
Wonderdog

I think getting overcharged for shipping is just a part of the ebay experience. I mean, you can look at the item you're bidding on and either estimate or find out about what the actual shipping will be. So it's definitely a "take it or leave it" type of scenario. If you think shipping is unreasonable, and it's something you should be considering up front, then just wait for another auction which is more to your liking. It's ebay, there will always be another opportunity.

That said, I don't think this is an attitude that is exclusive to toy collectors in particular, or even collectors in general. I've sold all kinds of stuff on ebay, and this type of situation seems equally likely to come up regardless of what you're selling. It's an ebay thing more than a collector thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:44 am 
Collector Inspector

The overcharge is often considered the "handling" portion of the "shipping and handling" fees. Sure, it's 8 bucks to ship but I had to buy the box and drive to the post office so I'm charging you $10." All part of why I have yet to sell anything on ebay. Sounds like too much of a pain. I'd rather do trades with trusted folks I know from various forums.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next