Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: Young Justice 4 and 6 inch lines CANCELLED!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:33 am 
Cold-cast

I'm sure a new Justice League and/or Superman show is also in the works. I enjoyed YJ, but at times found it all soap and no style. Especially when a character supposedly "died" or switched bodies...which seemed to happen every other week. An 8 year old kid doesn't care about Superboy's difficult relationship with Miss Martian, or the angst of being a clone of a clone, they want action and explosions.

The great part about the Bruce Timm Justice League show was that it managed to be enjoyable for both kids and adults, and the stories actually went somewhere. Something YJ just didn't quite pull off. Looking forward to Beware and the next JL shows.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:39 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Could not disagree with you more.

The action and fight scenes in YJ were some of the best I've ever seen. Do you see Deathstroke's fight with Lagoon Boy?

Pure fanboy awesomeness.

I like action as much as the next guy, but I also appreciate realistic character development.

That's the problem with American culture. Just because it's animated, doesn't mean it has to be for kids. Some of the best sci fi/action stories I've ever seen were anime. At least in Japan, you can get mature entertainment in an animated form.

So let the kiddies have the dumbed down action stuff, but let the rest of us have a more mature superhero show as well. IF they can do it with comedies like Family Guy, South Park, and the various Adult Swim shows, why not with action/dramas like Young Justice?

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:08 am 
Cold-cast

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the show, just found it a little meh...

I much prefer the adult-oriented DC Animated movies, I own blu rays of every single movie in the series. Extremely excited to watch DKR part 2 tonight!

But Cartoon Network has DC shows aired on Saturday mornings, a purely kid time slot. When I was a kid, I wouldn't have wanted Super Friends trying to be Days of Our Lives. And that minute-long Deathstroke battle was the only action in the entire episode. The rest was sci-fi soap opera.

Plus, I didn't think Timm's JL was "dumbed down", just universally awesome. To me personally, the stories just worked better. Maybe I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:29 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

JLU got better as time went on.

The first season wasn't anything special, if you look at it objectively. Once the League expanded into the official JLU, then, yes, it was excellent. I wish more shows were like JLU and YJ. That's the point I'm trying to make.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:12 pm 
Collector Inspector

It'll NEVER happen but I'd love an All-Star Squadron tv show. An enormous cast of awesome heroes! It'd be like a Golden Age JLU!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:50 pm 
declined to be a vampire

Shellhead is on the money here.

And I'm not looking forward to beware the bat at all. Nothing about that show screams good to me yet.

I think they should just pick back up on Justice League. They don't have to do it in the same animation (look at the movies how they've changed them up but use same voice actors, etc).

They could change up the animation and keep doing JL.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:47 pm 
3 3/4"

I hate the fact they are using the Anime Teen Titians. At times it seemed like someone was just picking the broadest sterotypes. I am someone who likes Anime

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:20 pm 
active in the community

starks wrote:
I think Beware the Batman could be decent. Hope it does well, as there are supposed to be figures made by 2014.

Here's a question, since Grant Morrison created Professor Pyg, who's going to be in the show, does he get a royalty or anything?

It's my understanding that DC does indeed offer their more recent creators a royalty when a character they created is used in other media. I have read interviews with Marv Wolfman and Gerry Conway, in which they have talked about being able to share in the profits that their creations generate; like say, Cyborg, Starfire or Killer Croc and Jason Todd. Conway even paid for his family's European vacation from the royalties generated from Killer Croc's use in the Arkham Asylum video games. Anyways... If memory serves, when Jeanette Kahn was at DC, she was instrumental in this type of a royalty program being implemented.
What has always warmed my heart, was that when the New Gods characters were being produced for Kenner's Super Powers line, they worked out a clause so that Jack Kirby could be retroactively compensated for the characters he created. This in spite of the fact that Kirby had signed away his rights to the characters before such a program even existed. Aside from the financial recognition, most DC animated shows list the creators of the characters that appeared in a particular show. (Check out the end credits for Young Justice sometime.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:50 am 
ABS

That's good to hear.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:08 am 
ABS

I think a cartoon called Young Justice should be a cartoon for kids, that's my opinion. The characters within it should skew young, pre-teens. You could have an adult super hero, like Red Tornado (for example), act as a supervisor. They could still fight "adult" characters, like Killer Croc or Solomon Grundy or whoever. I just think the show was positioned incorrectly from the start. Again, just my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:46 pm 
Former King of Posts

The original YJ comic was very fun filled. I've enjoyed this series. Don't forget we still have a number of episodes to enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:30 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Shellhead wrote:
JLU got better as time went on.

The first season wasn't anything special, if you look at it objectively. Once the League expanded into the official JLU, then, yes, it was excellent. I wish more shows were like JLU and YJ. That's the point I'm trying to make.

I disagree. I felt the show was better when it focused on the main 7. Although I am not a fan of Martain Manhunter, Superman, John Stewart, or Hawkgirl. I liked that the 3 I did enjoy got plenty of screen time. When it expanded the roster & became JLU, I didn't care for it as much. I am sure some people loved spending 3 or 4 episodes on Huntress & the Question. But me, I wanted Wally, Bruce, and Diana! I also feel the same about YJ. Really enjoy the show, but I want to see the original group. The only group dynamic I enjoy in this season is the Robin/Nightwing and getting to see Impulse. I want Wally to get some more screen time dang it! Just make a Flash cartoon already featuring all the speedsters.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:02 am 
Former King of Posts

I disagree with both. I think some episodes of JL itself were good. I've read that Bruce Timm and co felt that they hit their stride with season 2 of JL (not JLU). Both JL and JLU had some great - and not so great - stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:54 am 
Variant Head

Does anybody see the relationship between toy sales and CN supporting their shows ? I could trace this trend back ten years but here are a few examples off the top of my head Thundercats was going strong into the second season but onces toy sales fell the show was canceled. GL did not even get past prototypes.Batman Brave the Bold was doing ok in the toy isle so it struggled along to a third season. Star Wars sells lots of toys so that show will get season after season heck Adventure Time toys are outselling other toy lines. If people want Bewar the Batman to do well best bet is to buy TONs of the toys lol. But overall the toy sales seem to be what dictates to CN what shows to re air night and day or what shows to pull off the air every other month....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:13 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Quote:
But overall the toy sales seem to be what dictates to CN what shows to re air night and day or what shows to pull off the air every other month....

Yes, merchandising is clearly a MAJOR component of the programming decision. I'm sure advertising dollars during the show are just a drop in the bucket. Warner Bros. counts on the toy sales to really make serious cash. Once a figure line tanks (like YJ) or doesn't get off the ground (like GL), the show's days are absolutely numbered.

The same will be true of the new Teen Titans show and the new Batman show. My guess is that the Teen Titans toys won't sell, particularly if they stick with the "funny" style. I'd also bet the show doesn't do well, based on the input from my focus group (my 10-yr-old daughter, who ADORED the original Titans series and is unimpressed with the promos she's seen so far of the new series). That may change once she actually sees an episode, but she's already annoyed at the cancellation of Young Justice, so Teen Titans has an uphill battle with her.

Clearly CN and Warner Bros. thinks differently, though. So we'll see. I doubt I'll watch the new Titans show, but I liked Krypto, so I'm going to give it a chance. And I'll watch the new Batman. That has the most chance for a decent run, I think.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 47  Next