Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: So,... the new Max Steel line...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:07 am 
Loose, Missing Package

...anybody know what scale these are going to be?...

Post subject: Re: So,... the new Max Steel line...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:31 am 
An Insider

I think they will be the same figures out in South America. This "new" show has been going for a few years and is a big hit in South America. I'm just hoping they release the sabertooth tiger pack where they reused the MOTUC Battlecat sculpt so I can have a steed for Vikor!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:00 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I don't know if they'll be the same or not... The ones in SA were pretty much the same 12" figures we had here a few years back, the kid in the preview animation looks much more like a 15- or 16-year-old than the old toys did. Honestly, from his build in the animation (if they're staying with 1/6 scale, that is) I could see them using the much thinner Monster High male body for him (which, honestly wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for MH collectors).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:10 am 
An Insider

Could be. I found some different press releases online that make it sound like this is a brand new series too. So maybe I was wrong on all accounts, lol. I still want that sabertooth!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:13 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Have you watched the video?... http://www.maxsteel2013.com

(With you on the sabertooth, too!)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:18 am 
5th Horseman

This is a brand new series, not the same one that's been running in Latin America.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:21 am 
An Insider

No I hadn't seen it. Looks similar to XD's Tron cartoon. Yeah I guess it is all new.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:19 am 
shirtless hugger

It's an updated version of Max Steel. Mattel made him younger so boys could relate to him better. And Steel will be separate from Max; they will join to create a bigger, stronger hero, similar to Ben 10 or Blue Beetle.

I wrote about the marketing strategy on Monday. It looks like Mattel wants to make it a big property, on par with Monster High.

We should get some pictures of the Max Steel figures from the Nuremberg Toy Fair this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:01 pm 
Wonderdog

Seems like a Ben 10/Generator Rex hybrid show... Should have renewed Green Lantern and Young Justice instead, just sayin'

Webslinger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:50 am 
5th Horseman

Well, Max Steel is going to be on Disney XD. That show is produced by Fremantle Media. Cartoon Network Cancelled Young Justice and Green Lantern, those shows are produced by Warner Bros. animation. It wasn't really a case of either/or.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:24 am 
Wonderdog

AnimateTed wrote:
Well, Max Steel is going to be on Disney XD. That show is produced by Fremantle Media. Cartoon Network Cancelled Young Justice and Green Lantern, those shows are produced by Warner Bros. animation. It wasn't really a case of either/or.

Just saying that shows like GL and YJ were much better, I don't care what network they are on...

Webslinger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:18 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Okay, seems like it's going to be a 6 inch line with at least one 2 inch subline.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:52 pm 
5th Horseman

Webslinger wrote:
AnimateTed wrote:

Just saying that shows like GL and YJ were much better, I don't care what network they are on...

Webslinger

gotcha. I don't disagree. Your comment just made it sound like there was some correlation between them. In all honesty though, WB produces YJ and GL, and they are an entertainment company. Mattel is driving Max Steele, and it will largely be driven by the needs of the toy company. So... manage those expectations. ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:05 am 
Wonderdog

From what I've seen of Max Steel:

It could be a rehashed mashup of Hot Wheels World Race, Acceleracers, and Battle Force 5; Max (& Steel) is a younger version of Vert Wheeler (who starred in all 3), and Gig, the "Skeets" of World Race and Acceleracers. Sounds like Max Steel won't be as vehicle-centric, but the villains will either be aliens (Battle Force 5) or robots/androids (WR, Acceleracers).

For what its worth, HWs collectors loved the first 2 which included straight-to-DVD movies, and over 30 diecast cars each, and the diecast has retained its retail value. There was talk there would be action figures, but it didn't happen. BF5 introduced 3" (?) figures and vehicles that fit them. The vehicles were plastic, not diecast, and turned off alot of collectors. (Same thing that happened to the Speed Racer movie vehicles)