Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mattel Announces an Adam West Batman Toy Line
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:32 am 
Brand Manager

I understand where you guys are coming from, but this is the first anyone's mentioned a 3-3/4 inch line;
and that speculation is coming mostly from the boards. So to be honest, I find it very unlikely.
I mean, from the very begining, we were told this would be a Movie Masters line. And in the case of
DKR, the 3-3/4 line was done as a low budget, low cost, minimum tooling line that had the previous
Bat-Movies to borrow tooling from.

Yes, it can still happen, but I just don't think it would be cost effective. That line seems to have been
done like one of those old "drug store" lines; in all likelyhood to offer a low budget alternative to kids,
parents and grandparents.

Anyways... that's just my take. I understand why the Singles vs. Two-Pack sku would give rise to
this speculation; but people forget that this is how Mattel handled ARKHAM CITY a year & a half ago.

AC Batman, Harley & Nightwing as singles. Arkham City Joker, Robin & Two-Face in two packs.
So there is precedent in how... differently bundled figures, don't necessarily translate into multiple scales.
JLU is another example of another line where same scale figures were sold in multiple formats.

Anyways, that's just my take. As far as the Batmobile goes... I'm keeping my fingers crossed in the
hopes that it'll be "action figure compatible". But I'm not holding by breath. Mainly because of Dark Knight
Rises and how that particular line gave us a couple of Tumblers & Batpods (mostly electronic) that were
"large scaled" but incompatible with Movie Masters figures.

http://www.target.com/p/batman-dark-kni ... A-14068770

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:57 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

I wasnt even meaning 3-3/4--

I was thinking along the line of Micro figures or PVC figs like those horrible new batman ones that come in scenes-- or any of a hundred other possibilites--

I mean I just saw Squinkies last night - that use the same molds as the original figure-- but are 4X as big (Bane and Batman)-they are called something else stupid that ends in 'kies-- I thought the appeal of squinkies was a lot of little toys to play with-- they are not 4.00 a piece action figures--- but thats just the squinkie people trying to take another bite of the market and a larger share of the shelf space- Im just saying I see Mattel doing the same thing-- a bunch of random crap that they waste the development money on-- because it wont succeed as anything other than an adult collector line until at least they get the show out on DVD>.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:43 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I'm just speculating about the scales. The truth is, I really love the Adam West Batman, so I'm going to buy these toys no matter what scale they're in. I can't wait until we get more info and some pictures from Toy Fair.

If the Batmobile is not in scale for the 6 inch figures, I might try customizing an old Mego Batmobile from the 1970s. Those things were pretty small for 8 inch Mego figures, so they might actually be just the right size for an 6 inch figure.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:07 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Totally not feeling this for 2 reasons...

1- I'm not a big "campy" batman fan.
2- Mattel... that's all I can say.

I am a HUGE animated series fan though!!! :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:08 pm 
serves the Otter

Assuming the 2-packs are also in 6" scale, it wouldn't surprise me if one of them is Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson in plainclothes with a library backdrop and the Shakespeare bust. That's certainly a "TV moment" iconic to the show that appeared in nearly every episode as they transitioned from the library down to the Batcave. :)

Of course we don't know yet what scale the 2-packs are in, or how many 2-packs we're getting. I'm stumped about what any other 2-pack could be besides the obvious Bruce/Dick 2-pack. A Commissioner Gordon/Chief O'Hara 2-pack seems very farfetched. Maybe lesser known villains like Egghead or King Tut? Perhaps Mattel's purpose behind the 2-packs is to offer secondary characters that hardcore collectors would appreciate -- figures that might otherwise pegwarm if they were sold individually since they aren't recognized as well as the major villains and heroes. So offering them together in a specially packaged 2-pack with a cardboard "TV moment" scenic backdrop could be a better way to market these lesser known characters or hero variants.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:21 am 
shirtless hugger

A major villain like Penguin and one of their Thugs could make a nice two pack.

Batman and Robin climbing a wall with a person sticking out of a window was another classic moment, especially since some of the people sticking their heads out were famous actors doing a cameo.

Alfred as Batman with Robin would be another cool two pack.

Alfred and Aunt Harriet could be another 2-pack.

There were three different actors for the same roles. Catwoman, Riddler and Mr. Freeze all had two or three in Catwoman’s case play the role, so will Mattel make variants?

I also think they need to do a build a piece of the Batcave, like the Bat Computer with each figure. The Bat Signal with the last set of Movie Masters was awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:38 pm 
serves the Otter

If we actually get a 6" scale Batmobile, I hope we could eventually get Batgirl's motorcycle too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:38 pm 
shirtless hugger

TNI is showing some pics that Entertainment Earth leaked of the Frank Gorshin Riddler and Burgess Merideth Penguin. I'm not sure how I feel about them. I collect e bought DC stuff that I'm probably out on this line.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:06 pm 
Resin

tanglevine wrote:
I'm not sure how I feel about them.

That's how I feel. I've wanted 1960's Batman figures forever, but the likenesses of these two characters are pretty bad based on the shots we've seen. I dunno. Just not feeling it. Hopefully, they'll have accessories or packaging that get me more excited. I dunno. Maybe a group shot... :|

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:25 pm 
Brand Manager

I must say I am not a fan of the 60s Batman so no go for me on these but it is weird that Penguin in this line got a cigarette but yet the Batman Unlimited one did not. I would have love for the SP Penguin to have it but the TV Series figures do look pretty nice.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:25 pm 
Resin

Batmobile and Batman with cloth cape so he can fit in it!

http://toynewsi.com/ig.php?mode=album&d ... 0&sl=19929

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:32 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

GoldBlade6 wrote:
tanglevine wrote:
I'm not sure how I feel about them.

That's how I feel. I've wanted 1960's Batman figures forever, but the likenesses of these two characters are pretty bad based on the shots we've seen. I dunno. Just not feeling it. Hopefully, they'll have accessories or packaging that get me more excited. I dunno. Maybe a group shot... :|

Well, while the likenesses aren't Hot Toys accurate (not that any of us expected them to be), to be honest they aren't that much softer in sculpt than the Nolan verse Movie Masters.

The one thing I really don't like is the cloth cape on Batman. PLEASE SCULPT A PLASTIC CAPE FOR THIS MATTEL!! It will just look awful if you go with whats in that picture, and won't fit in with any of the other live action style figures. You can make plastic capes soft enough to bend for the figure to sit in the car. Balloon rubber is thin but molded to a shape, but totally pliable. While I wouldn't make anything that thin, capes don't need to be made as thick and rigid as you've made them so far.
Use the same type of plastic you used for the cape on the DCUC Mantis figure, that was really pliable.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:34 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

Will definitely buy a couple of those Penguins so that I can give the umbrella and cigarette to my DCUC Penguin!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:42 pm 
Brand Manager

Wow!

I'll be buying all of them, not to mention that awesome Batmobile. :mrgreen:

I really liked the likenesses. The Riddler is just perfect.

AWESOME JOB MATTY!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:51 pm 
Cold-cast

First impressions: Love the Batmobile, not a fan of the torso articulation, and absolutely hate how Batman's cape is sandwiched in between his neck. The cape should lie underneath the bottom part of the cowl. Pretty lazy designing if you ask me.

The head sculpts are a bit generic but not that bad. I'm liking the cloth cape because it gives the figure a retro-feel, and the paint on all of them look good.

I don't know if they used stock parts or what but Riddler was definitely not that muscular. Something about Riddler's head sculpt seems a little off too. Again, not too bad so it will pass.

Batmobile: A
Batman: B- / C+
Penguin: B- / C+
Riddler: C

I love the show and the MM line so I'll definitely be buying them. Mattel, if you are listening, whoever sculpted the Movie Masters MOS Superman figure...have him do the rest of the line. Stop phoning it in and try a little harder.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 42  Next