Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: TRU Red Azrael Batman/Batman & Yellow Hal/Blue Kyle 2-pa
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:59 am 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

Haven't seen the AzBat 2 pack in my area and haven't seen the GL 2 pack since around the holidays. Not sure if I want this one yet. Feels like something I need to see first hand before purchasing. Toynk is a great store. I've bought a few things from them at SDCC back in the day.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:50 pm 
Dog Squeezer

My local Toys R Us recently restocked these 2-packs. Check your local area.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:41 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

Sorry, not paying what TRU is asking. Either I find it at one of the local discount stores or I just say forget about it :|

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:12 am 
Displays Backwards

I was thinking about the pricing quandary when I saw the sets at the closeout store for $15. The question in my head was: Once figures hit the discount stores, does the lower price become the new baseline price for collectors?

I would love to get all my figures on clearance or at a closeout store, but I know that's not gonna happen. So I typically pay full price, because I don't want to take the chance that I will never find a figure later at a lower price. In fact, I often pay a little extra to order figures from my LCS, so I don't have to waste time chasing them down (which can take a lot of effort when you live in NYC).

Then again, I don't collect a lot of toys, so I have less interest in making weekly toy runs. But for those who do, is it worth the time and effort to chase down the lowest price possible? Is TRU no longer an option when there is a chance of finding a figure for half of what TRU charges?

Just wondering.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:23 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Honestly, depends on the figure.

For something like the YellowHal/Blue Kyle or Azbats variant packs ... lowest price. These are variants and not particularly thrilling ones either. I can very easily live without them. That being said, I'm not going out of my way to find them either. If I stumble across them at a nice discount price, I'll pick them up, otherwise ... meh.

Now if it is a "must have figure" or a new release, first time figure, then I buy it as soon as I see it, price be damned (to a point ... these things are dangerously close to my "out" price already).

Gone are my days of daily toy runs, hitting multiple stores, and frantic chases. There just isn't anything in the pipeline that I'm that concerned with.

Certainly not with the new directions of DC/Bat Unlimited and shortpacked cases.

So, now, I'll look online first. If I've "gotta have it" (and so far nothing outside of Bat Unlimited Zur En Agh is on that list) and the price + shipping is acceptable, I'll order it. If not, I'll wait until I find it at retail (the Nu52 Hawkman is a good example of this). Everything else, discount at best, or I won't bother at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:18 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I find myself waiting for other stores if it's particularly expensive. For example, I'd like the new Lego Battle for Hoth set but so far I'm only seen it at TRU, which is well known for jacking up Lego prices.

So I will wait for Walmart or Target to get on board in order to save $5-$10.

But a typical action figure? Paying an extra buck or so is not that big a deal. It's mostly the shipping cost that keeps me from making online vendors my primary toy choice, not the base cost.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:44 pm 
serves the Otter

GregNYC wrote:
I was thinking about the pricing quandary when I saw the sets at the closeout store for $15. The question in my head was: Once figures hit the discount stores, does the lower price become the new baseline price for collectors?

It's very hard to find a particular figure at discount stores in large enough numbers for it to impact the scalper "market". So more often than not, it translates into a nice Christmas gift for yourself; but not much more. There are exceptions, though. Last year I was able to find Galactus & the Sentinels for around $30 dollars instead of $85. So that's significant. Plus, there seems to be a steady "year round" supply of Ben10 figures to most discount stores, so much so that I would never pay a premium for those figures.

GregNYC wrote:
Then again, I don't collect a lot of toys, so I have less interest in making weekly toy runs. But for those who do, is it worth the time and effort to chase down the lowest price possible? Is TRU no longer an option when there is a chance of finding a figure for half of what TRU charges?

There's no denying you can save some serious cash and get some great "finds" in the process. So for me, going to Ross and/or TJ Maxx, has been totally worth my time and effort. But, in my mind, TRU has always been a very expensive place to shop. So I'm never in a hurry to buy toys from them. Usually, I can count on their stuff lingering around for weeks, if not months.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:13 pm 
Displays Backwards

It's true, TRU is more expensive than other retailers, especially in NYC, where prices in the stores are about 20 percent higher than TRU's own website. Even my LCS is often cheaper than TRU.

Thanks for your responses. I guess the general answer is: It depends. :)

For those who asked for the two-packs, your packages have been sent. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:54 am 
Brand Manager

See here is my thing with TRU , I shop there but end up returning 90 % of what I buy. Price point is just too high, crappy employees ( I can not tell you how many times I have to search for the hidden remains of a case that were stashed by the stocker) and their bussiness tactics leave alot to be desired! I mean the other day I had to wait in line for a Skylander for my nephew they came out side and said they only got 11 of each....... 11 ??? Really an odd number of each. Anybody remember the "We got Marvel Legends first so they are $20 game?" Well I saw ALL of those bought early returned to my stores later. TRU is a dieing store that has been bailed out a number of times I wish they would just go away at this point lol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:50 am 
Resin

Amazon has both of these 2-packs for like $23 each. I bought them months and months ago at TRU because I was afraid with DCU being phased out that they would fall between the cracks, and I would never see them again. $7 less or more less than retail on each 2-pack isn't a bad deal! Might not be Ross good, but I never saw these 2-packs at any discount stores in New England.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:28 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

GoldBlade6 wrote:
Amazon has both of these 2-packs for like $23 each. I bought them months and months ago at TRU because I was afraid with DCU being phased out that they would fall between the cracks, and I would never see them again. $7 less or more less than retail on each 2-pack isn't a bad deal! Might not be Ross good, but I never saw these 2-packs at any discount stores in New England.

I brought the az bats set loose on eBay, might try and get the lantern set after pay day but not that bothered as I never got into the whole blackest night saga. Could do with a second red azbats though as I'll want to reverse the gauntlet fins to be correct.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:03 am 
Grickle Grass Grower

About 2 weeks before Christmas I purchased the Batman set off Amazon for $25. And then the day it arrived (a couple days before Christmas) I found both sets at TRU. So I did have them under my tree Christmas morning. And I was glad I picked up another Bat set because the one from Amazon was crushed when my wife opened the box to wrap it.