Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Well, I think I just bought my last Mattel DC figure
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:59 pm 
declined to be a vampire

Dusty wrote:
Not trying to cause trouble or open a can of worms... but how much longer does Mattel have the DC License for again? lol. ;)
Seriously though Mattel is just so lame now... then again so is DC right now, the last Mattel product I bought was the Mongul 3-pack. Though, I may get their Russel Crow and Henry Cavill "Man of Steel" MM figures... maybe, if the movie isn't as bad as it looks right now... Jenny Olsen, (better be a rumor.) lol

D.

I grew up a Superman fan. He's the reason I got into comics, toy collecting etc.

I figure if I'm able to get over them making Perry White a black guy, then I don't really care what they do with Jimmy Olson. To be honest, I've always hated Jimmy as a character. Jim Gordon had two sons in the Batman movies, and his wife was Barbara, so I guess Jimmy Olson being a chick doesn't really matter to me (if indeed that rumor pans out)

So far, I'm excited about what I see out of the previews.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:33 pm 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

Actually I think it was one of each, although I don't know why they didn't give her more face time unless they just wanted to ignore that part of the mythos completely.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:12 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Bunger43 wrote:
Dusty wrote:
Not trying to cause trouble or open a can of worms... but how much longer does Mattel have the DC License for again? lol. ;)
Seriously though Mattel is just so lame now... then again so is DC right now, the last Mattel product I bought was the Mongul 3-pack. Though, I may get their Russel Crow and Henry Cavill "Man of Steel" MM figures... maybe, if the movie isn't as bad as it looks right now... Jenny Olsen, (better be a rumor.) lol

D.

I grew up a Superman fan. He's the reason I got into comics, toy collecting etc.

I figure if I'm able to get over them making Perry White a black guy, then I don't really care what they do with Jimmy Olson. To be honest, I've always hated Jimmy as a character. Jim Gordon had two sons in the Batman movies, and his wife was Barbara, so I guess Jimmy Olson being a chick doesn't really matter to me (if indeed that rumor pans out)

Same here, Superman is a huge part of my life, he is the reason I got into Writing and am heading for a career in Animation. As for the "Man of Steel" changes... I usually have no huge issue for change... when it is necessary, now I am by no means racist, but I just think they changed Perry "just cause" (maybe they have a better reason, I don't know) either way again change is fine if there are good reasons IMO. I will still see the movie before completely shunning it, but so far I am very weary, (I actually do like Jimmy he added a lot of Humor to the mix when he was in a panel or scene from a show... unless they had the bumbling awkward Christopher Reeve type Clark, he was entertaining all on his own.) Either way Man of Steel looks good, but it definitely has some things that have me scratching my head.

EDIT: As for the Batman things, I was fine with them as when it comes to Batman movies I decided after "Batman and Robin" Batgirl has no place in feature films. Though, that is personal preference, but also I found the changes necessary... and kind of minor, at least his wife was Barbara... ;) Plus for all we know maybe his Daughter's middle name is too, and she grows up to be Batgirl after her mom and brother die in some freak accident, lol. ;)

D.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:56 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I picked up a Nu52 Hawkman last night as I had the pleasure of walking down the aisle just as they were being put out. Also picked up the new Batgirl (so I am done with this line for now ...)

While none of the joints on my figures were stuck, and the paint on both was very nice and clean, I do have to say, these were the most heavily oiled figures since the last time I bought something from McFarlane.

I literally had to wipe each figure off with some paper towels before I could handle them without feeling like my hands were getting slimy.

I hope that isn't a new trend to look forward to...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:03 am 
categorically opposed

Dusty wrote:
EDIT: As for the Batman things, I was fine with them as when it comes to Batman movies I decided after "Batman and Robin" Batgirl has no place in feature films. Though, that is personal preference, but also I found the changes necessary... and kind of minor, at least his wife was Barbara... ;) Plus for all we know maybe his Daughter's middle name is too, and she grows up to be Batgirl after her mom and brother die in some freak accident, lol. ;)

In the comics, Gordon's first wife's name is Barbara, and there are instances where his daughter Barbara is actually his niece who he adopted.

So nothing in the Nolan films is really "in contrast" to the comics, in terms of the Gordon family.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:50 am 
Cold-cast

I think it's kind of crazy to hold the films to a higher standard than you do the comics. Nobody complained about Frank Miller making Robin a girl in the Dark Knight Returns. There are a million other examples of DC Comics switching genders, origins, character designs, and races to serve the story.

Lawrence Fishburne as Perry White. Great casting in my opinion. Jimmy Olsen as a girl? Jimmy always was kind of a second "damsel in distress" in the comics next to Lois, so why not? Everything about Man of Steel that I have seen so far looks great. Maybe for die hard Superman fans, there was some definitive Jimmy Olsen-being-a-boy arc that 99% of America doesn't know about. But for the casual Superman fan, it sounds just fine to me.

As a die hard Batman fan, I enjoyed the changes Nolan made to the Batman mythos because films are their own stand alone thing. Like a three-part graphic novel before they get rebooted yet again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:34 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

batfink wrote:
I think it's kind of crazy to hold the films to a higher standard than you do the comics. Nobody complained about Frank Miller making Robin a girl in the Dark Knight Returns. There are a million other examples of DC Comics switching genders, origins, character designs, and races to serve the story.

Lawrence Fishburne as Perry White. Great casting in my opinion. Jimmy Olsen as a girl? Jimmy always was kind of a second "damsel in distress" in the comics next to Lois, so why not? Everything about Man of Steel that I have seen so far looks great. Maybe for die hard Superman fans, there was some definitive Jimmy Olsen-being-a-boy arc that 99% of America doesn't know about. But for the casual Superman fan, it sounds just fine to me.

As a die hard Batman fan, I enjoyed the changes Nolan made to the Batman mythos because films are their own stand alone thing. Like a three-part graphic novel before they get rebooted yet again.

Nobody complains about anything Miller does because nothing Miller does is in continuity with anything anyone else does. He exists in his own little universe. As for Olsen, I can see it now..." Lois? Jenny? Lois? Jenny? Aw crap, where is Two Face when you really need him?"

I don't have a problem with changing Perry White's race because he was never the pivotal type character like Sgt. Fury was.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:58 am 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

Anyone know if medicom is planning to make any more DKR figures? That Batman is pretty sick, and the only thing I dont like about the square enix stuff, aside from the price, is the scale. i prefer the six inch scale.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:04 am 
serves the Otter

I did too when I got the last wave of Action League. There aren't any other Mattel figures I really want with that and JLU over. I never got into Young Justice for many reasons but between the price and how hard it is to find the figures in the stores, I'm cool with that.

When truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:52 am 
Cold-cast

shishalzafrazz wrote:
Anyone know if medicom is planning to make any more DKR figures? That Batman is pretty sick, and the only thing I dont like about the square enix stuff, aside from the price, is the scale. i prefer the six inch scale.

So far the only two 6" Miracle figures Medicom has announced are the DKR Batman figure and the Amazing Spider Man figure. Both look fantastic, and it's exciting to think we can get killer Marvel and DC movie figures in the same line. Seems like Medicom is testing the waters for that particular scale right now. Hopefully they will reveal more 6" Miracle figures at NYTF.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:13 am 
Brand Manager

Bunger43 wrote:

Not bothered by Fishburn playing Perry, although they could've easily called him Franklin Stern. It's just that... I imagine that the rest of the population probably thinks that the Daily Planet has had one owner/publisher; and they would've nitpicked "Perry White" not being in the movie. Hell, I remember when the Michael Keaton Batman came out and Siskel & Ebert nitpicked why Batman dressed as a Bat and not as a Blue Jay!!! (Idjits!!!!)

Jenny Olsen kind of bothers me, though. 'Cause it misses the whole point of the character.

Yeah, there's a reason Jimmy Olsen exists.

He's there to idolize Clark Kent, and at the same time... by contrast... make him look like the biggest loser in the world!!!

It's a paradox. But it's a paradox done to perfection in Superman Returns.

Change the sexes, and you end up with a Clark Kent that looks "cool" and "teen idol-ish" because he has a hot young girl fawning at him. Plus, you introduce a weird Lana Lang/Lois Lane dynamic where you start questioning "what does Clark see in that beeayatch Lois, when he could go out with a wholesome girl like Lana/Jenny Olsen??!?!?!"

See what I mean? Honestly... it shows lack of foresight, knowledge & understanding of what makes the Clark secret identity "work".

LordMudd wrote:
Actually I think it was one of each, although I don't know why they didn't give her more face time unless they just wanted to ignore that part of the mythos completely.
CCC.

In the comics, Gordon's first wife was named Barbara; and his daughter/niece was also named Barbara. In Dark Knight, they don't deviate from this and actually show a boy and a girl. They just gave the boy more face time than the girl.

As for the face time thing... I always figured that they wanted to keep Barbara's image "hidden" in case they decided to cast a different actor for the role of Batgirl. You know... much like Amazing Spider-Man kept Norman Osborn's face hidden throughout the movie, on account that they haven't made a casting decision yet.

Anyways... People don't realize it, but Nolan's second movie does bring to the forefront one of the many reasons Batman has his own infrastructure. I mean... in a world where the cops are unrealible, and the District Attorney turns out to be unreliable... it make sense for Batman to move away from them and built his own "support group". In essence, that's what he has in the comics with Oracle and Nightwing and red Robin and Damian and Alfred.

If he's in trouble, he no longer relies on Gordon or the Police; he has his own people... and his own replacement structure. So in that context... it makes sense for a Barbara Gordon/Oracle/Batgirl to exist. It's just that Nolan & Co. "pu$$¡ footed" around this just so they could have their M. Night Shyamalan "what a twist" John Blake ending. :roll:
You know... 'cause apparently John "fumbles the gun" Blake is better suited to take over the mantle of the bat, than someone who could've been trained by a Master... who spent years training with other Masters... and at one point had to carry a blue flower from a Volcano to a mountain top, just for the privilege of getting his @$$ handed to him on top of a frozen lake.

Last edited by red Ricky on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:23 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Take a breath, Ricky.

Movies have been screwing up comic book characters for decades.

:wink:

I know I'd rather watch a cute Jenny Olson on the big screen than a geeky Jimmy. :lol:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:33 am 
Brand Manager

Shellhead wrote:
Take a breath, Ricky.

Movies have been screwing up comic book characters for decades.

:wink:

I know I'd rather watch a cute Jenny Olson on the big screen than a geeky Jimmy. :lol:

It's not a rant, dude. Just an analysis of character dynamics that are at work in comics and provide subtle reasons as to why certain changes don't translate to the screen. It's not my fault I go to the movies in the hopes of watching a good Superman flick, and you go there to "Pee Wee Herman" to Jenny Olsen's tinkleboobs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:37 am 
Cold-cast

I can see both sides, honestly. If you are a rabid Superman fan, I can see where it messes with your "ideal" version of Superman and a female Jimmy Olsen will kind of irk you for the next 10 years (assuming a MOS trilogy pans out).

However, the movies never really focused on Jimmy Olsen as much more than a bit part and a one-dimensional character. You never saw in the movies where Jimmy Olson lived, who he dated, or any background development at all. Movie Jimmy was really just a device so Clark and Lois had someone to talk to when the other one was not around. And rightfully so. I don't really want to watch a movie about the internal Jimmy-angst and his possible man love for Clark lol. This is Superman's story, plain and simple.

Yes he idolized Superman / Clark Kent. I guess instead of the man-crush / woman-crush dynamic we just get woman-crush / woman-crush in this new movie. Love triangles can never be used as a plot device, right? ;-)

I think we have moved past the 1940's and 1950's where you need a young boy (Robin, Jimmy Olsen) to be literally standing at the side of our hero to be a stand in for the kid reading the story. I guess we will see this summer if it works or not.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:40 am 
Brand Manager

I think it's safe to say that Nightwing, Damian, Tim, Jason & Barbara have evolved past being stand in's for the kids reading the story.

But you are right. Jimmy Olsen is a bit part. It's just that it's a bit part in the service of the Clark Kent persona and does more than provide a person for Clark or Lois to talk to when the other is not around.

The thing is... Jimmy's role hinges on how the Clark Kent dynamic will be portrayed.

If Lois is going to know who Superman is, then you might as well turn him into Jenny and get some romantic friction out of the equation.

But if Lois doesn't know the secret, and you want her to be fooled by the glasses and the mild-mannered persona... then you kinda need Jimmy "talking up" Clark and messing up "his game" like the World's Worst Wingman. (And we are talking notches below Grandma's, Aunts, Moms & Kindergarten Teachers!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next