Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: Young Justice 4 and 6 inch lines CANCELLED!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:21 am 
categorically opposed

PBateman wrote:
Does anybody see the relationship between toy sales and CN supporting their shows ? I could trace this trend back ten years but here are a few examples off the top of my head Thundercats was going strong into the second season but onces toy sales fell the show was canceled.

The show wasn't canceled for low toy sales. I don't think Cartoon Network gives a damn about what the toys are doing. If the viewers are still tuning in, they're going to keep the show running until it's no longer profitable to do so. You're looking at the relationships totally backwards here.

PBateman wrote:
GL did not even get past prototypes.Batman Brave the Bold was doing ok in the toy isle so it struggled along to a third season.

Or the sales on BatB were okay because there was a third season.

PBateman wrote:
Star Wars sells lots of toys so that show will get season after season

Again, the reason that these toys are selling is because people are watching Star Wars. Star Wars will be renewed because people are watching it. People aren't watching the show because they love the toys they bought. They're buying toys because they love the show that the toys are based on.

PBateman wrote:
But overall the toy sales seem to be what dictates to CN what shows to re air night and day or what shows to pull off the air every other month....

I think they probably use the Nielsen ratings for decisions like this.

What you're implying is akin to saying "Because the snow is melting, the temperatures are getting warmer," as opposed to "Because the temperatures are getting warmer, the snow is melting." There is a relationship, but the causality is backwards.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:03 am 
shirtless hugger

Quote:
You're looking at the relationships totally backwards here.

And I'd say you're doing the same, but in the other direction. I think it's a much more ... symbiotic? organic? complex? relationship than that. Cartoons have been functioning as extended commercials for toylines for decades now. That's why they passed laws against advertising toys based on a show during that show. Sometimes it's the toyline that spawns the show -- GI Joe springs to mind.

I'd agree that the relationship is not entirely one-sided, but I'd say that for some properties (say Power Rangers, and possibly Ben 10), toy sales are integral to the show continuing. That's why it's periodically re-branded and brought back with new characters -- to facilitate toy sales. And I don't think it's a stretch to think that if toy sales are healthy, there's more incentive to renew the show. In some instances, like TMNT, the toys are so popular, they keep trying to launch different shows to ride the success of the toys.

Anyway, if YJ toys had flown off the shelves, I think Mattel would have lobbied strongly to keep the show on the air. That's not the only thing that influences the decision, of course, but I don't think you can say it has no influence at all.

Now, I also think Mattel screwed up with the price point on the six-inch figures and the awful sculpt on the smaller figures (kids HATED that -- I thought Mattel did focus groups, for crying out loud), but that's another discussion ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:59 am 
Fugitive Dust

IIRC the Cartoon Network canceled some shows because they didn't have the rights to do merchandising (I think they may have been Disney shows). And that's one of the reasons the DC block of cartoons came to be, that CN could do merchandising from them.

So I wouldn't be so quick to say merchandising, i.e. toys, didn't have something to do with the cancellations.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:45 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

anyone know where the last wave is showing up at? I've seen multiple MOC's for sale on eBay.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:15 am 
Loose, Missing Package

PJ wrote:
anyone know where the last wave is showing up at? I've seen multiple MOC's for sale on eBay.

Military PXs and CW Price stores. Those are the only places I've heard of them being found in the states, so far, but they've apparently been showing up in the UK as that's where mine came from.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:26 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:28 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

Yeah, I found mine on Davis Monthan Air Force Base a while back. Unfortunately they never re-stocked. :(

I did find a stealth Kid Flash at the swap meet this weekend for 3 bucks this weekend, though!

http://scar1321.blujay.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:40 pm 
declined to be a vampire

Bryan Long wrote:
Quote:
You're looking at the relationships totally backwards here.

And I'd say you're doing the same, but in the other direction. I think it's a much more ... symbiotic? organic? complex? relationship than that. Cartoons have been functioning as extended commercials for toylines for decades now. That's why they passed laws against advertising toys based on a show during that show. Sometimes it's the toyline that spawns the show -- GI Joe springs to mind.

I'd agree that the relationship is not entirely one-sided, but I'd say that for some properties (say Power Rangers, and possibly Ben 10), toy sales are integral to the show continuing. That's why it's periodically re-branded and brought back with new characters -- to facilitate toy sales. And I don't think it's a stretch to think that if toy sales are healthy, there's more incentive to renew the show. In some instances, like TMNT, the toys are so popular, they keep trying to launch different shows to ride the success of the toys.

Anyway, if YJ toys had flown off the shelves, I think Mattel would have lobbied strongly to keep the show on the air. That's not the only thing that influences the decision, of course, but I don't think you can say it has no influence at all.

Now, I also think Mattel screwed up with the price point on the six-inch figures and the awful sculpt on the smaller figures (kids HATED that -- I thought Mattel did focus groups, for crying out loud), but that's another discussion ...

Interesting. I did not know that they passed laws on that.

As for the bold, maybe if Mattel/Retailers hadn't set such stupid prices for what little we got, they would've sold better. Those 4 inch figures weren't worth 10 bucks, and I saw the 6 inch figures with the bases anywhere from 18 bucks on up to 24.

Sure there were some marked down and on sale, but that were way too expensive.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:33 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Regarding toy sales and canceled shows.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/03/04/ ... ed-series/

Quote:
Bruce Timm, like many of us, was disappointed with Cartoon Network’s decision to not pick-up Green Lantern the Animated Series for second season since he said it was one the best things he’s ever worked on, and considering his career, that’s saying something. Anyway, I asked if it really came to down to the lack of merchandising sales, as Bleeding Cool had previously reported regarding Young Justice. He said yes. Since the Ryan Reynolds’ film, retailers were stuck with film merchandise that just wasn’t selling. This lead to those retailers being very reluctant, if not downright refusing, to any carry merchandise from the Animated Series. Therefore, a lack of sales on that front lead to a lack revenue for an admittedly expensive CG Series.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:28 pm 
Brand Manager

So basically, we can blame Mattel's crappy toys for Young Justice and Green Lantern's cancelation.

Great!

Here's hoping that the guy responsible for the various Green Lantern Movie lines gets promoted to the Barbie division!!!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:25 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

red Ricky wrote:
So basically, we can blame Mattel's crappy toys for Young Justice and Green Lantern's cancelation.

Great!

Here's hoping that the guy responsible for the various Green Lantern Movie lines gets promoted to the Barbie division!!!

How can you possibly blame Mattel for this? Had the movie been better and been a bigger hit at the box office, the toys would have sold. This is all on the movie's producers.

"The early bird gets the worm" is great if you like to eat worms.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:39 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Fone Bone wrote:
red Ricky wrote:

Great!

How can you possibly blame Mattel for this? Had the movie been better and been a bigger hit at the box office, the toys would have sold. This is all on the movie's producers.

The same way we can blame them for global warming. If they had better distribution, people would spend less time driving around looking for their toys which means there would be less pollution and smog from our cars which means our ozone layer would be healthier which means that the suns rays wouldn't be changing our global climate.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:42 am 
Damage Control

I blame the costume designers for the Green Lantern Movie toys not selling well. The movie costumes were so different from the comic book versions. I asked Mattel if they planned to do both movie and comic book version in the 3.75" figures and they said, "NO, just the movie versions." In my mind that spelled out "DOOM" for the 3.75" GL figures. They were UGLY because they were based on UGLY costume designs. I knew that they would be peg warmers as soon as I saw them. I refused to buy them as they were not worthy to add to my Green Lantern collection.

In the 6" scale, Mattel release the GL Classics line along side of the 6" GL Movie line and the GL Classics sold way better that the GL Movie figures.

It's a shame that the GL Animated Series figures got shot down before fans got a chance to buy them.

As for Young Justice, I passed on them because of scale and price. Now if they were done in the 3.75" scale, I would have collected them no matter the price. The other problem Mattel had with these was that they launched the line with too few figures and jammed up the pegs with leftovers once the fans got their figures. Instead of releasing just 4 figures and 2 Walmart variants, they should have had at least 8 to 12 figures in the first wave. Mattel made the same mistake when launching DC Infinite Heroes, and Toys R Us did not reorder figures for a long time because they were stuck with the first 4 DC Infinite Heroes warming the pegs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:12 am 

On a side note, is anyone still enjoying this show? The narrative seems severely flawed. There are way too many characters and the ones I actually want to see (The Justice League and the original YJ) are constantly sidelined. The invasion plot line has been stretched out way too far and I can't even keep track of Luthor, Vandal Savage and the rest of The Light's machinations. Since the show came back from its recent hiatus, it's essentially become the Blue Beetle show. I love the costume designs and the animation is top notch, but the story has completely lost me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:12 am 

On a side note, is anyone still enjoying this show? The narrative seems severely flawed. There are way too many characters and the ones I actually want to see (The Justice League and the original YJ) are constantly sidelined. The invasion plot line has been stretched out way too far and I can't even keep track of Luthor, Vandal Savage and the rest of The Light's machinations. Since the show came back from its recent hiatus, it's essentially become the Blue Beetle show. I love the costume designs and the animation is top notch, but the story has completely lost me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next