Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Mattel Wants to Know - Do you want cheaper figures?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:20 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Not thanks to cheaper figures... but I'll gladly take lower prices. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:03 pm 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

If you are reading the DCIH thread, you have seen that pics of the Man of Steel figures have been leaked. They are 7 PoA. They look like the GL figures with elbow joints added. The GL figures for all of their shortfalls were still very sturdy figures. I would still like knee joints but I can live with this. Now I just want to know what the price point will be.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:15 pm 
ABS

Here is a solution: How about not making gigantic figures!!! If you want to cut costs, there is no need to make 6 inch figures and larger. Larger figures require larger packaging, and more materials.

I don't want a poly bag, that looks completely cheap and many of us are collectors that don't open our figures.

How about making figures like the old Kenner Super Powers. The figures were not large. The packaging was fairly simple. I don't need an industrial impenetrable plastic bubble with rubber ties and other packaging. Also, make accessories reasonable. I don't need a plastic accessories that I'm going to lose or discard anyway. I don't want my kids accidentlally swallowing them.

Some of these figures are ridiculous with regard to size and then they complain that the figures cost too much. Well a lot of us have never liked crazy large figures. We like the classic 3 3/4 inch figures that we grew up with and can fit in vehicles. I don't need a Barbie Doll size Superman, what am I going to do with that? To me, it's a matter of common sense.

And in terms of mobility, I don't need hundreds of movable joints. Keep it simple. An elbow, a knee, a wrist and a neck is fine. You don't need more than that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:26 pm 
ABS

ian5555 wrote:
I'm not disagreeing with any of that, he certainly should have not had to pay anymore but my point is he took the time to write this long message to me and threatened to get Ebay involved over $2.00. That is pathetic imo. You can call it arrogance if you want.

I just think it is a funny story and a reminder to me of how petty people can be in this hobby.

The expectation of charging actual shipping is hilarious to me. I'm not sure who the hell came up with it but customers all the time act like they are being ripped off if they do not pay the actual shipping that USPS or any mail carrier charges you. Then when you explain the cost of the box, packing materials, time spent taking the item are factored in increases the shipping cost to them they get mad. I'm actually had people tell me to go to wal-mart and get free boxes out of the trash. Are kidding me? Forget that.

Honestly I think sellers should charge enough shipping to also cover the cost of Ebay and Paypal fees. It is a cost to them not to mention that you get charged a percentage of shipping now. Or Ebay should just tack on a percentage to the item so the buyer at least pays half the fees. As a buyer who buys a lot I would be ok with that. Even though I do look for the best deal sure but I'm not going to whine and cry over a couple bucks. To be honest he is most likely a very unhappy person and a pansy irl so feels the need to do stuff like this because he knows what the result will be.

I have never threatened negative feedback and to get Ebay involved to resolve a problem first and that is what I find truly pathetic about this guy.

I agree with you and think that guy was being a cheap $#@. But I was on the other end of this. I bought a large toy from a dealer. I won the auction and paid him for the item. I paid a pretty penny for that item not including the shipping costs. The guy then e-mails me and asks for an extra 15 dollars because he underestimated the shipping costs. Sorry that's his problem and I was pretty annoyed the guy had the nerve to ask for more money when he made a ton of money on the toy itself. If that was me and I made a mistake with calculating the shipping costs, I would be pretty embarrassed to ask the buyer to pay me more after I screwed up. There is something to be said for honor and accepting responsibility for making a mistake. Not only did I not pay the seller the extra money, I didn't even review him. I usually provide positive reviews but I think he had to learn his lesson for having the temerity to ask for more money.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:20 pm 
Collector Inspector

I don't know if this was mentioned before but would it not reduce cost if they left out the trays, trays to hold weapons in the tray and twist ties inside the buuble just so the figure can be in an "action pose" Remember G.I. JOE I mean couldn't Mattel do something like this:
This even has 3 guys and all there weapons with out the extra cost of all the other crap that comes in a carded figure these day.
The "action Pose" is in the great card art.
Or how about this:
Just go back to how you use to package your He-Man figures Mattel.

I'm sure it would cut some costs.

Last edited by Cookie_TXPSY on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:20 am 
Wonderdog

Doc wrote:
I agree with you and think that guy was being a cheap $#@. But I was on the other end of this. I bought a large toy from a dealer. I won the auction and paid him for the item. I paid a pretty penny for that item not including the shipping costs. The guy then e-mails me and asks for an extra 15 dollars because he underestimated the shipping costs. Sorry that's his problem and I was pretty annoyed the guy had the nerve to ask for more money when he made a ton of money on the toy itself. If that was me and I made a mistake with calculating the shipping costs, I would be pretty embarrassed to ask the buyer to pay me more after I screwed up. There is something to be said for honor and accepting responsibility for making a mistake. Not only did I not pay the seller the extra money, I didn't even review him. I usually provide positive reviews but I think he had to learn his lesson for having the temerity to ask for more money.

I'm glad you didn't cave and pay him extra. It was completely ridiculous for him to ask for more money. When you list something on ebay, and the item sells, that's a binding contract. And that goes for the buyer and the seller. If the seller underestimates the shipping, that's on him (or her). It happens to me pretty frequently. In fact, I just took a beating on a bunch of auctions because postal rates went up while the stuff was listed. But asking for more money at that point would be ludicrous. A deal's a deal. And it works the other way, too. The guy who won Ian's auction should've really sucked it up and parted with the $2, because that's what he agreed to.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:50 pm 
PVC

Bag it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:32 pm 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

Doc wrote:
Here is a solution: How about not making gigantic figures!!! If you want to cut costs, there is no need to make 6 inch figures and larger. Larger figures require larger packaging, and more materials.

I don't want a poly bag, that looks completely cheap and many of us are collectors that don't open our figures.

How about making figures like the old Kenner Super Powers. The figures were not large. The packaging was fairly simple. I don't need an industrial impenetrable plastic bubble with rubber ties and other packaging. Also, make accessories reasonable. I don't need a plastic accessories that I'm going to lose or discard anyway. I don't want my kids accidentlally swallowing them.

Some of these figures are ridiculous with regard to size and then they complain that the figures cost too much. Well a lot of us have never liked crazy large figures. We like the classic 3 3/4 inch figures that we grew up with and can fit in vehicles. I don't need a Barbie Doll size Superman, what am I going to do with that? To me, it's a matter of common sense.

And in terms of mobility, I don't need hundreds of movable joints. Keep it simple. An elbow, a knee, a wrist and a neck is fine. You don't need more than that.

and some of us DO like to open them and put them in those cool vehicles and playsets that are more affordable to make at this economically more intelligent scale.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7