Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: Young Justice 4 and 6 inch lines CANCELLED!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:38 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

PBateman wrote:
Honestly I find prime to be alot of hype. Its like they are always running around look for this or that but its hidden here and this guy has it wait theres more of them yadda yadda. I liked the series at first but it felt like it was spinning its tires and not really going anywhere.

I'll concede season two wasn't as good as season one. But season one was one of the best cartoon seasons I've seen since JLU Season one's Cadmus arc.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:48 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Let me be more specific: I love the DESIGNS of Generation One. If the new cartoon had the original designs with all new stories, I'd be all over it. I just don't like the look of the Prime robots.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:34 pm 
Totally Ripped ABS!!!

Artemis and Superman are back in stock: http://www.ebay.com/itm/YOUNG-JUSTICE-L ... 3f1dd94dd4

Feel free to throw an Artemis my way for the assist...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:29 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

Thanks for the heads-up. It'll be nice to have an Artemis.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:17 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Thanks Masked Avenger for the tip, I just bought my second Artemis figure just this time with her bow.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:52 pm 
Mint on Card

Thanks finally getting Artemis to finish the original YJ team.

Successful transactions with: Funtime3, Vancleef9000, Clark Kent, ivelostr2, Tuning4k, and Shellhead. Special Thanks to Stewbacca and Jim Abell. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:29 am 

Shellhead wrote:
Let me be more specific: I love the DESIGNS of Generation One. If the new cartoon had the original designs with all new stories, I'd be all over it. I just don't like the look of the Prime robots.

Okay, that makes more sense. I don't care much for the designs either. But I stuck with it and I'm glad I did. Just watch the entire first season. You won't be disappointed.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:55 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Funny reading everyone pointing the finger at Mattel for GL movie and YJ demise. That is laughable, but expected from the usual suspects. You can't polish a turd no matter how good the action figures are. Granted the figures for both weren't anything great but that has nothing to do with why the show was canceled I'm sure. YJ storywise, good show, character selection....SUCK. I think the big problem here is they keep trying to push these teenager shows. Forget that. Do what Marvel does and push your big names. Shows should be ALL about the Justice League period. You don't see Marvel throwing out a Young Avengers show do you? Granted I think they did a movie or two but they stick with their big guns (Avengers, X-men, Spiderman)and that is what DC needs to do. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and the Justice League.....get shows about them. Until they do that the DC license is going to continue to fail imo. Get the JL on the big screen and make it good. Now they are doing Teen Titans again I guess?? Fail.

The template on how to succeed is there, Marvel/Hasbro has done it for years. That is what just blows me away with it all.

One more thing I also find it funny that people take Timm's word as gospel. He blamed Mattel so it must be true? haha ok....I love his work too but him acting like it can't possibly be his fault in any way is just funny to me if that is true, didn't read the article. It's character selection imo. Justice League works. Batman and Superman work. Build off them.

Shows get canceled all the time. I don't see why people are obsessed with pointing fingers and blaming someone. It's life, deal with it and move on and be thankful for what you did get. It tarnishes the whole experience imo.

Regarding Transformers Prime I'm a big transformers fan as well and G1 has been my favorite ever since I was a kid. Transformers Prime, just can't get into it anymore then Transformers Animated but at least they fight. The fact that the kids are all over it just killed the show, storyline is meh and all the stupid vehicon Decepticons instead of more Decepticons is just stupid. I stopped watching it after about 5 episodes but I have DVR'd a marathon they did of it and have struggled getting through it the last month or so when I'm bored and nothing else is on. At least it is Transformers though. Just have to fast forward through the stupid parts is all :)

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:13 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

There is no debating the failure of the GL movie crippled the GL animated series. 0 product was picked up for the cartoon because of the poor performance of the GL movie merchandise. Timm and co. were telling great stories, but there was no merchandise revenue to supliment the CGI budget.

YJ is more complicated. It's obvious from the mature storytelling that this was intended to rope in the JLU audience. But the product was not congruent. This is primarily a JLU message board is it not? The amount of us on board for the YJ line was a fraction of the total JLU collectors. On top of that, very few of the characters were recognizable to The general pop and the price point was very tough. Compounded upon that was Cartoon Networks' erradic scheduling of the cartoon proper. That's the resipe for failure.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:59 am 

abuddah wrote:
There is no debating the failure of the GL movie crippled the GL animated series. 0 product was picked up for the cartoon because of the poor performance of the GL movie merchandise. Timm and co. were telling great stories, but there was no merchandise revenue to supliment the CGI budget.

YJ is more complicated. It's obvious from the mature storytelling that this was intended to rope in the JLU audience. But the product was not congruent. This is primarily a JLU message board is it not? The amount of us on board for the YJ line was a fraction of the total JLU collectors. On top of that, very few of the characters were recognizable to The general pop and the price point was very tough. Compounded upon that was Cartoon Networks' erradic scheduling of the cartoon proper. That's the resipe for failure.
^^This.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:20 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Green Lantern killed Green Lantern. DC has been trying to shove Green Lantern down the publics throats for what 2-3 years now? I think they were hoping he would be Marvel's Iron Man and it just didn't work.

You can bet they didn't give 2 craps if JLU was on board when they decided to do YJ. I'd bet that "Will JLU fans be on board?" wasn't even an action item when discussing that project. I think there is an clear misconception for some people when it comes to shows though. Just because YOU like it doesn't mean everyone should like it. Good shows that I love fail all the time (Firefly ugggh) but I think the main problem for DC/Mattel is three things.

1. They need to focus on Batman and Superman. period. Those 2 need to be the focal point of anything they do imo.
2. Mattel needs to make their action figures 3 3/4 inch and they need to be better. See Hasbro.
3. They need to make movies however DC's characters do not translate to the big screen as well as Marvel and movies is where it is at today. Movies mean lots of advertising and lots of action figures. This is just bad for any collector of DC because this is where it is at and Marvel just has the big names that can carry a movie by themselves. DC does not have that except for Batman and Superman really. They need to get JL moving and until they do that they can't touch Marvel.

Let's name off the Marvel list, Hulk, Spider-man, Iron Man, Thor,Captain America, Wolverine then you have the teams Fantastic Four, Avengers and X-men. Hell, Marvel is even doing Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy movies lol.

You guys keep expecting these shows to catch on and keep blaming Mattel when it doesn't work out but imo the action figure market is not cartoon centric as it used to be in the 80's. Especially for Super Heroes. It's movies. I don't see any of these shows doing good until DC fixes their movie problem first or focuses on Batman/Superman.

And no contrary to some opinions this is a Mattel board not a JLU one it's just that AFI has become the main message board for JLU.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:29 pm 
Brand Manager

ian5555 wrote:
I don't see any of these shows doing good until DC fixes their movie problem first or focuses on Batman/Superman.

So the argument seems to be that these shows failed because people weren't watching and not because the toy line didn't generate enough revenue like Bruce Timm pointed out.

Okay. Fair enough. What say I throw in some facts for chucks & giggles. Like a list of Cartoon Network's top rated programs for February 25-March 3, 2013.

CARTOON NETWORK TOP RANK PROGRAMS HH P2+(000)

1 ADVENTURE TIME Mon 7:30PM- 8:00PM, 1.7 rating – 2,695,000 million viewers
    2 REGULAR SHOW Mon 8:00PM- 8:30PM, 1.5 rating – 2,441,000 million viewers
    3 STAR WARS: CLONE WARS Sat 9:30AM-10:00AM, 1.4 rating – 2,181,000 million viewers
    4 YOUNG JUSTICE: INVASION Sat 10:30AM-11:00AM, 1.4 rating – 2,045,000 million viewers
    5 MAD Mon 8:30PM- 8:45PM, 1.2 rating – 1,909,000 million viewers
    6 THE GREEN LANTERN Sat 10:00AM-10:30AM, 1.1 rating – 1,724,000 million viewers
    7 SURFS UP Sat 7:00PM- 8:49PM, 1.0 rating – 1,635,000 million viewers
    8 AMAZING WORLD OF GUMBALL Wed 6:30PM- 7:00PM, 1.0 rating – 1,603,000 million viewers

And let's compare it to WWE's ratings for contrast.

Quote:
The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that, generally, speaking, WWE had a strong year ratings wise when you factor in both live and DVR viewership. Reports state WWE Raw averaged a 3.3 Nielsen rating with 4,750,000 viewers in 2012.

Other ratings -

WWE Friday Night SmackDown! drew an average 2.1 Nielsen rating with 3,040,000 viewers. WWE Main Event on ION Television averaged a 0.8 Nielsen rating and 1,380,000 viewers for the roughly 2.5 months it aired in 2012. WWE Saturday Morning Slam on the CW averaged a 0.7 Nielsen rating with 1,140,000 viewers.

Now discuss!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:55 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
red Ricky wrote:
ian5555 wrote:
I don't see any of these shows doing good until DC fixes their movie problem first or focuses on Batman/Superman.

So the argument seems to be that these shows failed because people weren't watching and not because the toy line didn't generate enough revenue like Bruce Timm pointed out.

Okay. Fair enough. What say I throw in some facts for chucks & giggles. Like a list of Cartoon Network's top rated programs for February 25-March 3, 2013.

CARTOON NETWORK TOP RANK PROGRAMS HH P2+(000)

1 ADVENTURE TIME Mon 7:30PM- 8:00PM, 1.7 rating – 2,695,000 million viewers
    2 REGULAR SHOW Mon 8:00PM- 8:30PM, 1.5 rating – 2,441,000 million viewers
    3 STAR WARS: CLONE WARS Sat 9:30AM-10:00AM, 1.4 rating – 2,181,000 million viewers
    4 YOUNG JUSTICE: INVASION Sat 10:30AM-11:00AM, 1.4 rating – 2,045,000 million viewers
    5 MAD Mon 8:30PM- 8:45PM, 1.2 rating – 1,909,000 million viewers
    6 THE GREEN LANTERN Sat 10:00AM-10:30AM, 1.1 rating – 1,724,000 million viewers
    7 SURFS UP Sat 7:00PM- 8:49PM, 1.0 rating – 1,635,000 million viewers
    8 AMAZING WORLD OF GUMBALL Wed 6:30PM- 7:00PM, 1.0 rating – 1,603,000 million viewers

And let's compare it to WWE's ratings for contrast.

Quote:
The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that, generally, speaking, WWE had a strong year ratings wise when you factor in both live and DVR viewership. Reports state WWE Raw averaged a 3.3 Nielsen rating with 4,750,000 viewers in 2012.

Other ratings -

WWE Friday Night SmackDown! drew an average 2.1 Nielsen rating with 3,040,000 viewers. WWE Main Event on ION Television averaged a 0.8 Nielsen rating and 1,380,000 viewers for the roughly 2.5 months it aired in 2012. WWE Saturday Morning Slam on the CW averaged a 0.7 Nielsen rating with 1,140,000 viewers.

Now discuss!

1!... 2!... 3!!!!... and the winner is Red Ricky!!!!... Just kidding everyone, lol, I am not trying to start anything, mentioning WWE got me all into that mode. ;)

D.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:03 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

Not to add fuel to the fire, but some of the issue might also come from the amount of profit the shows were turning, despite ratings. A reality show (for example) with minimal acting/writing/production costs can survive much lower ratings than, say, Firefly.

I don't have a horse in this particular race, but I think focusing on any one metric (other than profit... maybe) oversimplifies the issue.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:54 pm 
Brand Manager

The original articles made the point that there was no merchandise revenue available to suplement the Young Justice & Green Lantern budgets. Which falls in line with what you're saying about ratings not being the only factor in play. But if I hadn't dug up the show's viewer data (and put an asterisk on the popularity theory,) people would've continued questioning Bruce Timm's word. And I don't think he was lying. I think they needed both to be good and only got one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next