Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013 Target Justice League figures
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:23 am 
Brand Manager

Bunger43 wrote:
It seems to me that DC/WB and mattel have no direction right now with what toys they want to make.

They have different figures in different sizes all over the place right now.

I tend to agree. I mean... I for one, couldn't tell these were Brave & the Bold "cousins" until people started pointing it out. Honestly, my first instinct was to look at the Super Friends Fisher Price line for compatibility.

Soooo... (and I know I'm going to get tons of hate for this) ...but any word on how this line came about? 'Cause... you know... Toy Guru once mentioned that JLU was canceled out of Target's desire to carry Young Justice as their "Collector Line"; and well... now that Young Justice is no more, I'm kinda wondering if Target changed their mind, and asked to get their exclusive Justice League line back... and this line was the end result of that request. Not that there's anything wrong with this line. But you know... just wondering if at the end of the day... when all has been said and done... it was JLU's track record with Target, what made this "second chance" possible.

Anyways... yeah... lines all over the place, with Mattel kinda looking to see what sticks. Which makes me as nervous as I was when Mattel announced their Green Lantern centric overkill of 3.75 inch Movie Figures, and DC Universe Classics wave 17, and GL Classics Wave 1 & 2, and Green Lantern Movie Masters, etc., etc., etc.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:10 am 
4" scale

These were produced so DC and the New 52 can have a presence on the retail shelf and so Target can have exclusive product that they can slap the "Only at Target" sticker on. Nothing less, nothing more. These are not meant to tie in with BatB or any other toy line. It's a stand-alone limited line. It just so happens that for Mattel to produce an exclusive for a retailer, they had to modify existing molds to save on costs. It's also at a price-point that clearly reflects that these are for kids and moms, not collectors.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:38 am 
Brand Manager

Wildcard wrote:
These were produced so DC and the New 52 can have a presence on the retail shelf and so Target can have exclusive product that they can slap the "Only at Target" sticker on. Nothing less, nothing more. These are not meant to tie in with BatB or any other toy line. It's a stand-alone limited line. It just so happens that for Mattel to produce an exclusive for a retailer, they had to modify existing molds to save on costs. It's also at a price-point that clearly reflects that these are for kids and moms, not collectors.

First of all, I never said this line was aimed at collectors, so chill. Second of all, "exclusives" stopped being a given a while ago. And aside from JLU and those light-up Green Lantern Movie figures, I just don't remember Target having any other DC based exclusives. At least not in the last 2 years. So basically, they are neither automatic, nor a given. Meaning that it's possible JLU didn't underperform as bad as we were told; and probably helped convince Target to give these figures a chance (which was my main and only point! Got it?!?! Good.) And as far as the New 52 is concerned, they look sufficiently represented to me. In fact, new 52/DC Unlimited versions of Superman, Batman, Flash and Batgirl are far easier to find than these new Justice League figures.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:03 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I really want to see the Faceless Hunter done:

I wanted to add him to my JLU collection but he never showed up.

I just came back from my 4th Target and all they had were the single packs. I picked up the Flash and Green Lanterns for custom fodder and ordered 2 more of the 7 packs. With all the DCnU Brave & Bold figures I have in stock I am now done for this month. I should have enough figures to redo my old Batman TBATB figures and still work on customs.

I have said this before: Mattel really needs to step back and rethink there DC action figures.

3.75" figures
There 3.75" lineup does not sell because they look like $1 store figures and they charage $7-10 each for them. The movie figures just sit on there shelfs because they do not offer enought characters. The fact that the movies do not even came close to looking like there comic book character hurts more.

7" figures
Why does the Movie Masters have to be different size and build as the DC Super-Heroes? Could they not fit in more so people can use them in both lines?

Animated figures:
Mattel really has messed this line up.

If I were in charage I would handle this much easier:

3.75" figures
I sorry but I would make this lineup all comic book inspired and make them look more like Marvel/Star Wars/G.I.Joes. If its not broke why fix it. I would love to have my G.I.Joes team up with the Invaders and JSA/Easy Co. I would love to have in my Star Wars Senate Green Lanterns and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Animated figures:
I would keep them in the JLU line. The line last 10 years (more if you count Batman TAS). Why could't you have included Green Lanterns and Young Justice into this lineup to expand it out. They may not look like the cartoon but the kids will buy them. Just put them under one banner:

DC Nation

7' figures:
The Sub line should be done by votes, not people in charge who want a figure out for themself. This is a Sub line, they pay more for them so use your silly msg board and ask the people who are going to spend there money on who they want.

Store shelfs should be the DCnU line. The main line should NOT have a Batman or Superman in it. This should be to fill in the shelves with new characters.

Batman Legacey could be a mix of DCnU and old DCU stlye. This should also include one Super Power figure.

Superman Legacey. The line should include a mix of both DCnU and old DCU and could expand the Super Power line as well.

Movie Masters should focus on the current movie but could contiune after the movie is out. You have so many DC Movie/TV series that this lineup could go on. After the Man of Steel movie, you have Arrow you could do figures for, 60's Batman, Lynda Carter Wonder Woman, Legend of the Super-Heroes stc.

Toddler line-up:
The bigger clucker DCnU Brave and Bold figure fit in perfect for this lineup. No more Power Attack Batman, DC Super-Friends. Just the new format of the DCnU Brave & Bold would work out.

Anyways this is how I would handle the DC Action figure line. Make it simple and everybody would be happy. At least they would make money.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:25 pm 
categorically opposed

red Ricky wrote:
Wildcard wrote:

First of all, I never said this line was aimed at collectors, so chill. Second of all, "exclusives" stopped being a given a while ago. And aside from JLU and those light-up Green Lantern Movie figures, I just don't remember Target having any other DC based exclusives. At least not in the last 2 years. So basically, they are neither automatic, nor a given. Meaning that it's possible JLU didn't underperform as bad as we were told; and probably helped convince Target to give these figures a chance (which was my main and only point! Got it?!?! Good.) And as far as the New 52 is concerned, they look sufficiently represented to me. In fact, new 52/DC Unlimited versions of Superman, Batman, Flash and Batgirl are far easier to find than these new Justice League figures.

1.) These Justice League figures weren't supposed to be put out until March 10. DC and Batman Unlimited have been shipping to stores for at least a solid month or two.

2.) If JLU sold so well, why did they opt not to carry those final three-packs? I mean, if product sells well, and there's more product ready to be order, wouldn't logic dictate that you...I dunno...order said product? Or maybe there just wasn't enough Batman and Superman?

Honestly, it's always going to come back to JLU, isn't it? It will never die.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:22 pm 
Collector Inspector

MoMoney wrote:

Correct :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:42 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Quote:

Name another line that Dc/Mattel released that lasted 10 years and well over 100 original figures.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:12 pm 
An Insider

monitor_ep wrote:
Quote:

Name another line that Dc/Mattel released that lasted 10 years and well over 100 original figures.

How about a line that lasted less than that but still produced well over 100 original figures...
DC Infinite Heroes

Target and Kmart still had these figures when Mattel decided to retire them in favor of Young Justice.
If only Young Justice was in the 3.75" to 4" scale instead of the larger 4.5" scale. As you know the 3.75" to 4" scale fits in with Marvel, Star Wars, G.I. Joe, Indiana Jones and other lines.

I've been told that Mattel is working on a 3.75" to 4" scale Justice League line. I hope that they are more like DC Infinite Heroes than the 4" Batman figures that Mattel made.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:33 pm 
Tis' but a pup

I picked up the set today at a Target here in LA. I had to have the Wonder Woman for my collection.
I may get a second set to give to me 4 year old nephew. I love the idea that this "kids" line features a female unlike most lines that don't.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:44 am 
Collector Inspector

...Yeah, I'm pretty sure both DCUC and DCIH released over 100 unique figures.

I found this set tonight and it looks pretty good! The Wonder Woman looks great, but I swear she has some sort of face variant going on. These look really fun and it brings me back to a time long ago when I was actually excited about the BaTB toys. I'd buy this set for my kids if they weren't already growing out of action figures. I find these more appealing than JLU, but then again, I find a box of stale currants more appealing than JLU.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:33 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

funtime3 wrote:
I find these more appealing than JLU, but then again, I find a box of stale currants more appealing than JLU.

Along with the delusional die hards, we must also endure the haters. It's like religion in here, sometimes.

Moderates unite!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:59 am 
Loose, Missing Package

JLU was what got me following Daniel's posts, but I think a read through this (the photo links aren't working right, you'll have to click on each to see the whole image) leaves little to argue about...

http://thefwoosh.com/2012/01/dc-univers ... rospective

...and that article doesn't include the DC Super Heroes line that started things nor wave 21, Club Infinite Earths or the new DC/Batman Unlimited lines.

So can we get back to discussing the *NEW* Target Justice League line?...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:43 am 
Knows his stuff

red Ricky wrote:
Soooo... (and I know I'm going to get tons of hate for this) ...but any word on how this line came about? 'Cause... you know... Toy Guru once mentioned that JLU was canceled out of Target's desire to carry Young Justice as their "Collector Line"; and well... now that Young Justice is no more, I'm kinda wondering if Target changed their mind, and asked to get their exclusive Justice League line back... and this line was the end result of that request.

MoMoney wrote:
If JLU sold so well, why did they opt not to carry those final three-packs? I mean, if product sells well, and there's more product ready to be order, wouldn't logic dictate that you...I dunno...order said product? Or maybe there just wasn't enough Batman and Superman?

I have only collected JLU, and now that it's over, so are my collecting days. You guys know more about this than I do, so I'll ask the question.

I thought the reason many collectors didn't like JLU was because they didn't care for the animated style, and because they looked cheap, compared to your average DCUC (or whatever ridiculous acronym it goes by these days) or MOTUC figure. But these figures look just as cartoony.

So when Target re-ups with another animated styled brand of figures, it makes me think does red Ricky have a point here? Because the end of JLU at retail seemed to have as much to do with Mattel not shipping out product at a reasonable time and with the introduction of Young Justice than anything.

I guess I'm ultimately asking since they are selling the same characters in an animated style, just in different packaging, what's the appeal? And not that I'm asking to bring JLU back, but couldn't they have just rebranded JLU, stuck the figures in new packaging and made it just as appealing?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:10 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

jamiwa3 wrote:
I thought the reason many collectors didn't like JLU was because they didn't care for the animated style, and because they looked cheap, compared to your average DCUC (or whatever ridiculous acronym it goes by these days) or MOTUC figure. But these figures look just as cartoony.

So when Target re-ups with another animated styled brand of figures, it makes me think does red Ricky have a point here? Because the end of JLU at retail seemed to have as much to do with Mattel not shipping out product at a reasonable time and with the introduction of Young Justice than anything.

I guess I'm ultimately asking since they are selling the same characters in an animated style, just in different packaging, what's the appeal? And not that I'm asking to bring JLU back, but couldn't they have just rebranded JLU, stuck the figures in new packaging and made it just as appealing?

Many different people had many different reasons for and against collecting JLU. Just as an example, I started collecting JLU because I love the JLU-verse. So, the "cartoony" look was actually a selling point for me. I know there are others who never collected it, or stopped collecting it, because of quality issues as well as distribution issues, neither of which have much at all to do with the "cartoony" look.

I like these figures. They appear pretty solid, yet reasonably well proportioned. They stand on their own. The paint apps are very simple, but they're also pretty clean with the notable exception of Wonder Woman and all her "cousins". They're a nice size and I don't feel like they'd break easily by looking at them. They remind me of the old Super Powers line. Those figures were pretty simple when you got right down to it, but they were awesome figures.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:12 am 
shirtless hugger

The reason I'm buying them is because of Batman: Brave and the Bold. I loved the cartoon, and I wanted the figures, even with the hex holes. That's pretty much the determining factor for me: If I like the property the figures are based on. (So yes, I bought B:TAS, S:TAS, JL, JLU, Spectacular Spider-Man, Young Justice, etc.) (No, I don't consider liking the Timmverse to mean I can't like B:B&B -- different interpretations, which I enjoyed in different ways.) To me, this is a continuation of the B:B&B line, and as such, I'll buy it. Even the hex/no hex thing doesn't trouble me that much. Grodd didn't have hex holes, for example.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 38  Next