Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Am I the only adult male on here... (Monster High thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:25 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Congrats on the Catrine find! Really hoping we get another case of her (or basically anything as our shelves are almost bare) this weekend...

Oh, anyone planning to get the new swimsuit dolls, the first shipments of Venus has pretty much the same make-up deco as the signature doll but the new shipments have a new make-up deco (she now has green eyeshadow instead of pink) and the whole doll is apparently a brighter shade of green as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:00 am 
Loose, Missing Package

More pics have shown up online via someone taking photos of a Spanish language retailer catalog, seems to be some of the fall exclusives...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/obsegebitz_livlover/

(BTW, Walmart is supposed to have a MH feature area this weekend- though I'm not sure how that's going to work considering that we have no stock at my store... And word has it that Scaris Duece is about to be rotated out of the cases and replaced with a second Ghoulia, so keep an eye open and everyone you know looking if you still need him)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:56 am 
5th Horseman

Ok... Some critique..

Yay for Scarah in a 2 pack... But yet another Clawdeen? Don't we have hundreds clogging pegs?

Dance class 5 pack with Gil- yay Gil's back!!!! But a Dance Class? Why not a swim class set? And all of the others are repackaged. Here's where I'd like a dance class Clawdeen, Spectra, Venus, or Ghoulia.

2 pack with Drackulaura and Claud- ok. But why them? We know 13 wishes is going to be about Lagoons switch from Salt to freshwater- For Gil... Why not a Gil /Lagoona 2 pack, with a regular Gil in is hi standard uniform. Or why not a new Deuce/Cleo set?

Ghouls night out is fabulous (Venus looks amazing). But again.. Why Claudeen? Why not a new Skeleta or Jinafire in there? Same with Rochelle, she's becoming ubiquitous. She's in everything. Ease up Mattel... Spread the wealth!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:26 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Just a clarification, Scarah and Clawdeen should be seperate items. They appear to be the next two in the "I <3 Fashion" TRU exclusives (Frankie and Abbey are already out). And the Draculaura/Clawd set is tied to the Music Festival line (the VIP passes they're wearing give that away). Gil in the dance class is a head scratcher as the guys tied to that episode were Invisibilly and Mr. Where. The Ghouls Night Out set is okay, but it could've done without Rochelle since she's being sold as a single anyway...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:02 am 
The Last Word

Jim_Abell wrote:
And word has it that Scaris Duece is about to be rotated out of the cases and replaced with a second Ghoulia, so keep an eye open and everyone you know looking if you still need him
That's the only doll we're searching for currently. Hope we come across one before he's replaced.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:33 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Well, I just gave myself a good scare... Put together a list of all the 2013 dolls that have been announced and those that have been seen in leaked pics... Not including the SDCC exclusive(s) I got 71 different dolls including the CAM add-ons. Clawdeen is the winner this year with 8 different dolls. Lagoona and Draculaura each have 6 while Frankie gets 5. Spectra may have 4 or 5 as one doll in the leaked pics could be her or not... Cleo and Abbey have 4. Ghoulia, Rochelle and Venus have 3 while Operetta and Howleen will have 2. Robecca and Toralei are the only previous dolls to get just one release this year besides the boys.

Gotta wonder how many more that we don't know about...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:52 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Whoops, made a mistake in my numbers... Need to up the total to 74: I forgot the Werecats Fearleading set when I was making the list. BTW, for anyone who doesn't know, just watched a review of the CAM Siren and was surprised to find that the reason two belts are included is so that the tail can be used with a male CAM as well!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:10 am 
Brand Manager

I found a few Catrine yesterday for my GF I got her 1 and bought 2 extras for trade. They had like 7 but if anybody needs one pm me I do not really bother to pick these up unless my GF wants them but I noticed a few of you regularly post in this thread. I am ashamed to say but I am well versed in this line and got to hand it to the team that handles these dolls! I mean I thought these were a 1 year trend thing then every couple months she would say "Keep and eye out for this one" then it was "They got a new line with this new one " it just kept going lol. They handle this line very well she passes on a lot of them only does the new characters but with the toons they keep showing she keeps wanting them to make more!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:21 am 
The Last Word

Monster High is not only a great line of toys, but it's a real throwback to the lines of yesteryear that helped make adult collectors out of all of us. How many properties in the last ten (or more) years have been introduced as toys first with virtually no media support and been wildly successful? Monster High completely shatters the oft-repeated fiction that today's kids no longer play with toys. Character toy sales will never match their '80s numbers, but capture their imagination, and kids will always collect and play.

Monster High is fantastic, and it's a reminder of what toy-first properties can be. I'm glad Jennifer started collecting them when she did, or else they'd be occupying space in my room. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:46 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Finally got myself a Catrine yesterday, she is an absolutely beautiful doll.

A couple more dolls have surfaced via a German(?) retailer's online site... Two more CAMs -- Sea Monster and Werewolf -- that are add-ons to the Color-Me-Creepy set. The cool thing is that they are complete dolls with plastic wigs, one outfit and a pair of shoes along with wrist and leg "jewelry" to use with the color change feature. Hopefully these won't be too much more than a regular CAM add-on. There are also two outfit sets for those dolls, each with two dresses, two pairs of shoes, the arm and leg jewelry and a "pen" of some sort that allows you to use the color change feature to draw designs on them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:37 am 
Displays Backwards

Caped Crusader wrote:
How many properties in the last ten (or more) years have been introduced as toys first with virtually no media support and been wildly successful? Monster High completely shatters the oft-repeated fiction that today's kids no longer play with toys.

Actually, Monster High had a lot of media support at its launch, including a vast website, regular webisodes and a series of books. That has grown to include TV specials and direct-to-DVD movies.

What Monster High did not have was an episodic TV show, because girls of that target age don't watch as much TV as boys do. They engage with properties more often through books and the Internet.

Toy companies are getting smarter about building a multimedia approach to selling toys. Monster High is no fluke; Mattel spent a couple of years researching, testing and building the brand before its launch.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:00 pm 
The Last Word

GregNYC wrote:
Actually, Monster High had a lot of media support at its launch, including a vast website, regular webisodes and a series of books. That has grown to include TV specials and direct-to-DVD movies.
Only the first book in the series was published the year the line debuted, and that was a couple months after the dolls were in stores. Web-only content is exactly as I described, virtually no media support, and I am so not interested in having a silly debate over it.

I never said anything about it being a fluke; I said it was a great line of toys.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:09 pm 
Daniel Pickett

Easy CC. No one is attacking you or your premise.

Greg is a journalist and has been researching this sort of thing.
He's not looking for a "debate" either.

Now. Back to talking toys.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:08 am 
Displays Backwards

Sorry if I came across too strong. I need to remember to sprinkle a few smileys into my posts. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:21 pm 
5th Horseman

Girls ... Girls you're BOTH Pretty! :D

To both of your posts... this was a huge strategic initiative at Mattel. Entertainment WAS a strategy... but it wasn't relying on it to propel the dolls. They believed in the concept and characters and because it was so different in the marketplace, it stood out from the crowd of other fashion dolls. But it will only reach a certain level without broad main stream awareness, which is where media comes in. Whether in half hour, shorts, or DVDs. Whether on cable, broadcast, or internet... media DOES lift properties to a new level.

BUT, to CC's point, Kudos to Mattel for balking at the notion that it was a requirement to launch a new brand.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next