Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Man of Steel Movie Masters Thread
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:20 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Wildcard wrote:
I'm glad you like your figure as you've modified it. Personally, I don't like such washes since it makes the figures look dirty. It's for that reason I never got into Marvel Legends. I preferred the cleaner Hasbro versions when they eventually took over. As far as plastic vs. cloth capes, that's an endless debate. I personally prefer plastic capes since at this scale, the fabrics used never seem to look right. I'm ok with fabric capes when the figure needs to be able to sit (such as the Batman 66). That said, Hot Toys is able to produce scale accurate clothing which I admire.

I just like to see a little depth. I will admit that this F'N HUGE photo is not as complimentary as admiring it from a foot away. But I just hate when we see these great paint masters and then what we get is this high contrast flat "Toy". Marvel Legends is fine for 2D comic heroes but for movie properties I just expect a little more effort. Fabric capes can be done well (not like Batman '66) but after doing a few I can understand why they are not AS common but solutions should be looked at. I'm just an individual hobbyist but I know Mattel can come up with someway to take a craftsman's job and boil it down to a cheap labor friendly solution. It's what they DO.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:17 pm 
Cold-cast

Jim_Abell wrote:
I believe the mirror thing was something John Byrne came up with in the 80s.

Bah! See, serious answers like that take all the fun out of being a smart alec. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:48 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Jim_Abell wrote:
I believe the mirror thing was something John Byrne came up with in the 80s.

Which still makes no sense to me as I recall Superman's hair and Nails never grew when in a Blue or Yellow sun environment... (I read that in one of his many many profile books somewhere.) The other reason that the mirror shaving technique wouldn't work... is he has HEAT vision not LASER vision, he vision isn't light based so him shooting his Heat vision at the mirror would just melt it... yes I over analyzed that whole thing, and thought far too much about it, lol.
... i'm going to go sit over in the corner now and read my superman comics... ;) lol.

D.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:06 pm 
ABS

Superman has both heat and laser vision. It's referenced in the comics, Justice League, and even the internet somewhere :) Superman certainly has a lot of hidden talents that help him with tasks that don't include saving hundreds of people.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:50 am 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
princeofpop98 wrote:
Superman has both heat and laser vision. It's referenced in the comics, Justice League, and even the internet somewhere :) Superman certainly has a lot of hidden talents that help him with tasks that don't include saving hundreds of people.

Yeah he certainly does have a bunch of hidden powers doesn't he? lol...
Now that you mention it, I remember them saying he had Laser and Heat (almost like they considered them the same thing,) back in the pre-90's, but in the 2000's I remember some writer or a DC Bio/profile of his powers saying specifically he has Heat, not Laser vision... But you are right still, he did have it once before (I just kind of forgot, lol) and as for recent stuff, I haven't been reading SM comics for the last 2 years so I have no clue what his powers are now. Has DC changed them again? lol. ;)

D.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:31 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Full 360 view here:

Full 360 of custom here:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:08 pm 
serves the Otter

Man that figure looks bad. Very disappointed in the final product. The dark colored suit combined with the ridiculous 5 o'clock shadow makes him look like the evil/drunk Superman from Superman 3. Definite pass for me now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:41 am 
Brand Manager

geeksummit wrote:
Full 360 view here:

Full 360 of custom here:

Wow! Thanks for sharing. The figure looks awesome. I just can't wait to get mine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:45 am 
Brand Manager

Your custom looks incredible, specially the cape. Great work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:20 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

shabbyblue wrote:
Man that figure looks bad. Very disappointed in the final product. The dark colored suit combined with the ridiculous 5 o'clock shadow makes him look like the evil/drunk Superman from Superman 3. Definite pass for me now.

I don't think it looks so bad. forgive my lighting. ( its an old projector flatscreen tv converted into a photo booth... pretty roomy) but the colors are pretty movie accurate for sure judging by the editorial stills (typically pretty true to cinematography). As far as the 5 o'clock shadow goes... who knows. I brushed it off as a depth thing but maybe he's just kinda casually doing the Superthing on Saturdays and doesn't really give in to the norelco treatment on the regular. Maybe he hasn't really realized he's a public servant and a Messiah figure yet and needs to keep it churchy.

I remedied mine with Magic Eraser of all things. I've found alot of uses for that in dealing with toys lately. Pretty sharp... for a sponge.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:09 am 
Brand Manager

The figure looks a lot to it's source material:

http://dailyblam.com/news/2013/04/11/ne ... -in-action

Except for Zod's beard. Maybe he appears without it at first. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:42 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

funtime3 wrote:
I know this issue is brought up every year over centuries of toy collecting, But why is someone willing to pay $70 for a Superman that will unarguably be everywhere in a month or two for $15? Just bragging rights? Or maybe the buyers live in countries/cities that don't sell toys or figures are really difficult to come by. Based on the ridiculous distribution of past Movie Masters lines, I have no doubt some figures will be impossible to find but I don't think Superman will be one of them.

I do agree-- but maybe some people dont like to take chances-- like with the last wave of CNC GL movie masters--

I wish I hadnt taken a chance waiting on some of the last Action league or Super Hero Squad to come out, despite final versions being on display at toy fare or SDCC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:49 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Magog wrote:

That's basically what I'm thinking. Armored Zod looks a lot more grayed than Super Suit Zod from this 1st wave. I figure that is how he will appear in the Krypton scenes vs JorEl. I've heard a couple people get schmidty about it but I figure that's all we're looking at. Who knows... that very mix up could be why we were robbed of more previews from ToyFair'13.

I saw the first shots of the 3.75"/5" Zod in the Super Suit with the beard and possibly some carded versions but I wouldn't be surprised if that mixup via small complexity made it into all avenues of their licenses being they have been so secretive of the plot mapping.

I would hang a laurel on the Movie Masters version that has escaped to be the accurate depiction of Zod as we will see him in said suit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:33 am 
Brand Manager

geeksummit wrote:
Magog wrote:

That's basically what I'm thinking. Armored Zod looks a lot more grayed than Super Suit Zod from this 1st wave. I figure that is how he will appear in the Krypton scenes vs JorEl. I've heard a couple people get schmidty about it but I figure that's all we're looking at. Who knows... that very mix up could be why we were robbed of more previews from ToyFair'13.

I saw the first shots of the 3.75"/5" Zod in the Super Suit with the beard and possibly some carded versions but I wouldn't be surprised if that mixup via small complexity made it into all avenues of their licenses being they have been so secretive of the plot mapping.

I would hang a laurel on the Movie Masters version that has escaped to be the accurate depiction of Zod as we will see him in said suit.

He looks exactly like this pic :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:28 am 
Brand Manager

Wow! :shock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321104760189?ss ... 1423.l2649

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 392 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 27  Next