Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mattel announces Adam West 1966 Batman line
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:40 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

The 1960's Batman show and the Reeve Superman movies are the reasons I love superheroes to begin with. They were my introduction to the genre and the reasons I became a fan. Everything else came later. Buying figures based on the '60's series is a no brainer for me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:52 am 
Aspires to be #1

All I really want is the Batmobile but I'm sure I'll get suckered in to some figures. I'm not happy that Robin can only be had in the 2-pack and the Catwoman looks terrible but the others have looked good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:20 pm 
4" scale

The show has continually aired somewhere in the world since it was first broadcast. The US isn't the only market for this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:24 pm 
Cold-cast

Magog wrote:

Anyway, if, and when Mattel produce a Tim Burton Batman series I will be buying all of them too ;) not to mention Chris Reeve Supes, George Reeves Supes, Lynda Carter Wonde Woman, John Wesley Shipp Flash...

Drool!

Wow, didn't realize that there were so many people into it. Especially for people under 45. My surprise is that mattel felt that was a market.... a MASS market for these items. If they were a matty sub item that would make sense but a mass market item? Then i wonder why they would not do a reeves superman, linda carter wonder woman, etc. i think those would do really well. I guess i'll make my mind up if and when i see them in stores. I guess then the Batusi pack will be a hit at SDCC this year.

Agree that newmar catwoman pic looks more like a barbie. That is exactly what my wife said when she saw the pic on my computer screen. She said why do you want buy a catowman barbie...your buying barbies now! LOL!! I had hot coffee pouring out of my nose. Then i explained this was a pic for the highly anticipated 66 line from mattel. Then she looked at me and said "REALLY! want to get into bed with those losers again. Aren't your nuts blue from being matty'd". She was refering to a Short Packed cartoon strip i had pinned on my kitchen black board.

it was a very funny conversation this morning.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:59 am 
Aspires to be #1

Zim wrote:
Wow, didn't realize that there were so many people into it. Especially for people under 45.

I'm only 27 but me and my little brother watched most of the series and the infamous movie when we were little and loved it. And we were watching right alongside BTAS. I'd probably watch it now if it was on tv.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:15 am 
categorically opposed

Zim wrote:
Wow, didn't realize that there were so many people into it. Especially for people under 45. My surprise is that mattel felt that was a market.... a MASS market for these items. If they were a matty sub item that would make sense but a mass market item? Then i wonder why they would not do a reeves superman, linda carter wonder woman, etc. i think those would do really well. I guess i'll make my mind up if and when i see them in stores. I guess then the Batusi pack will be a hit at SDCC this year.

If this were a sub, they'd be missing out on a huge amount of money. It's Batman, Robin, and their four most iconic villains. Iconic (if silly) representations. You look at these guys, and you immediately know who they are. You don't need to see a name on the package. You don't need to know anything further than what your eyes tell you.

Why limit a license that has so much instant recognizability to an execution that is barely a blip on Mattel's radar like a MattyCollector subscription? You can't possibly compare the '66 Batman license to something like Watchmen, who needs the subscription execution to survive.

I don't know what kind of legs this line will have, if any, but at least to start, with offerings as iconic as Batman, Robin, Joker, Penguin, Riddler, and Catwoman, they'd be stupid not to go for mass retail. If they were launching with Batman, Robin, Egghead, Louie the Lilac, and Marsha, Queen of Diamonds, I'd probably have a different opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:49 am 
Fugitive Dust

I thought it looked like a Barbie (head anyway) too. Did she not wear a mask on the show? I honestly can't remember.

Man, can you imagine if they do a Linda Carter Wonder Woman figure? I think that would actually outsell any Batman '66 figure, which I think will be huge.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:02 pm 
Cold-cast

I learn something new everyday. Well, i m so glad that this line was finally made. As for me i guess i will probably pass as i have to really scale back on what i collect but who knows when i see it a store. Its cool that a lot of you can do online and be cool. I unfortunately am cursed with the need see before i buy. Sometimes pics look great and the product does not and vice versa.

I would so buy a reeves supes even though i have hot toys version and a linda carter- i considered getting the statue but i wish HT made her and 1989 batman series catwoman and robin.

The one thing that gets me though is that they feel this line will be huge mass commercial success but they shy away from a marvel univ like DC line.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:11 am 
categorically opposed

Zim wrote:
The one thing that gets me though is that they feel this line will be huge mass commercial success but they shy away from a marvel univ like DC line.

If the rest of the DC Universe were as instantly recognizable and popular as Batman, Robin, Catwoman, the Joker, the Riddler, and the Penguin, maybe they wouldn't shy away from it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:40 am 
Cold-cast

MoMoney wrote:
Zim wrote:

If the rest of the DC Universe were as instantly recognizable and popular as Batman, Robin, Catwoman, the Joker, the Riddler, and the Penguin, maybe they wouldn't shy away from it.

Maybe they could start with those known characters like batman, superman, wonder woman, green lantern, green arrow, robin, nightwing, batgirl, supergirl, joker, catwoman, riddler, penguin, bane, two face, etc. That's like 3 waves right their, 4 waves if they include suit repaints. I think people are now more comfotable with the 9.99 price point which along with lmited articulation was the death of YJ figs (and horrid paint apps).

I collect MU and i initally started buy saying i want the ones i know like hulk, FF, etc. I know nothing of marvel chracters beyond the more famous one. But MU line drew me in wanting the ones i knew but get me to buy others i did not, thus educating me on something i did not know and it was exciting until this line gotten so difficult to collect that i feel its jlu all over again with a 21st century twist. However, the bios on the cards of chracters i did not know really helped and then i started watching some the marvel cartoon reruns on disney xd. Which gave me the overall gist but man do they change the stories wilyl nilly. That is the power of MU line. I feel mattel can do well if they tried. I liked IH the perfect figure would have been the v1 lower torso paired with version 2 upper torso (gl animated movie best buy movie fig)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:04 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

Mattel keeps hinting at an "Infinite Heroes" type-line, so I'd say anything is possible. Of course, if such a line were to get off the ground at retail, I'm sure it would consist entire of New 52 designs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:05 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Captain Collector wrote:
Mattel keeps hinting at an "Infinite Heroes" type-line, so I'd say anything is possible. Of course, if such a line were to get off the ground at retail, I'm sure it would consist entire of New 52 designs.

Which would once again means we wouldnt get Harley Quinn in that scale again-- and if we did-- would shoot their "mom and kid friendly" line right in the gut...

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:17 pm 
Cold-cast

Did you hear that catwoman is being pulled from series 2:

Mattel has pulled Catwoman from the second assortment of Batman The Classic TV Series action figure collection. Word is this figure will not be ready in time to be included in the shipment and will be made available later on

You know i think mattel and other toy manufacturers has it wrong on female hero characters. Both boys AND girls like female superheroes. The problem with these toy companies is that they are holding on to 1980 concepts when making toys, deciding case packs, characters, etc. Variants in this day and age is not cool but a PITA and very few people like them. Really popular lines do not need gimmicks.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:03 pm 
Brand Manager

Zim wrote:
Did you hear that catwoman is being pulled from series 2:

Mattel has pulled Catwoman from the second assortment of Batman The Classic TV Series action figure collection. Word is this figure will not be ready in time to be included in the shipment and will be made available later on

Well, that's bad news. They could release her with a Batgirl figure and another Bat-villain in another wave. That would be great. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:42 pm 
MINT!

you can pre order them on amazon now....joker,batman,catwoman,riddler,penguin,surfs up batman....15.99 each...batman and robin 2 pack is 29.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWXPHWU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 646 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 44  Next