Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: DC Shazam SDCC Exclusive
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:35 pm 
Tis' but a pup

Wow, no problem passing on this one, very disappointing - I hate the new 52 look!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:33 pm 
Collector Inspector

Mattel has been consistently shooting down any possibility of Granny Goodness or Doomsday in the DC Club IE, so SDCC would have been a good opportunity to get one of these two characters to fans. Remember the good old days when they could deliver a Plastic Man with a million accessories and a big ol' Lobo with extra stuff?

The New 52 wins again.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:09 pm 
ABS

I actually like this new figure. I want him really badly as much as all the new 52 figures. The only design I hate is the Wonder Woman. Silver is not her thang

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:41 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

The figure is ok, would be fine at retail. The real issue is that for 2 years in a row, Mattel has failed to give us an exclusive geared to the fans of the line.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:15 pm 
Hat Pooper

Am I alone in feeling like Mattle is shoving 52 characters down are throat? How many people from the Morrison run of JLU should have been made ahead of this guy. DCUC versions of the the JLA cartoon that guys like Hunter Knight Customs make and sell for huge bucks

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:32 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:30 am 
Fugitive Dust

Isn't DC Direct doing the same figure though? I think it's in the pipeline. I'd have to ask my LCS retailer when I get the chance. Either way, all of the SDCC reveals thus far are passes for me.

I don't quite get why people are saying this is bad for the sub however. People have said they don't want New 52 in the sub. Well, here's one less potential figure for that. And it still means Doomsday and/or Granny Goodness (wishful thinking, I know) are still viable. Plus, we all won't be trying to order the figure (if it was Doomsday or Granny) on Matty Collector & hoping it doesn't sell out prior when doing so.

I see this as a win-win.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:00 am 
categorically opposed

starks wrote:
I see this as a win-win.

The only "win" that I can see out of this is watching the temper tantrums that are being thrown on Matty's forums. They're pretty entertaining.

Other than that, this is pretty much a complete misfire, and the poor performance of this exclusive will affect any future exclusives that Mattel offers. Poor sales of the Death "staction" from last year killed that execution before it got off the ground, and when they have piles of New 52 Shazams to unload at discount rates at Ollie's, they're probably not going to look at doing another DCUC-style figure.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:23 am 
Aspires to be #1

MoMoney wrote:
starks wrote:
I see this as a win-win.

The only "win" that I can see out of this is watching the temper tantrums that are being thrown on Matty's forums. They're pretty entertaining.

Other than that, this is pretty much a complete misfire, and the poor performance of this exclusive will affect any future exclusives that Mattel offers. Poor sales of the Death "staction" from last year killed that execution before it got off the ground, and when they have piles of New 52 Shazams to unload at discount rates at Ollie's, they're probably not going to look at doing another DCUC-style figure.

They should probably stop making figures at all. Does anything sell well anymore?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:44 am 
categorically opposed

j1h15233 wrote:
They should probably stop making figures at all. Does anything sell well anymore?

If their licensor partner would stop pretending that they're good at marketing toys (which their own toys should disprove in and of themselves) and just let a toy company do what they signed up for when they took on the license, maybe they would sell.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:09 am 
shirtless hugger

To be honest, as much as I don't care for the character, I'd probably pick him up if I saw him at Ollie's for $10.

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:34 am 
PVC

I must be the odd ball here, I like the new 52 Shazam better than the old version. Planning to pick one up at SDCC.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:27 am 
Grickle Grass Grower

I'm actually looking forward to getting a New 52 Shazam. It's just that it's a character that could have done well at retail so it seems like a wasted space for an exclusive. Likewise, he's not special enough for an exclusive. I wish they would have done something with his lightning symbol to make it more special -- a holographic sticker or even sparks would have been nice.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:03 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

talosman wrote:
I must be the odd ball here, I like the new 52 Shazam better than the old version. Planning to pick one up at SDCC.

I like the new Shazam (Captain Marvel) look too (especially in Injustice) but I will be waiting for the DC Collectibles version instead. I hope one is really in the pipeline. They have a Black Adam coming so they have to be doing Billy too.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:04 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

the figure, AS IS, should be a retail figure.

If they were to make it a 2 pack with a Billy Batson figure, THEN we'd have something interesting as a con exclusive.

Oh well, if I can get one from Matty post-con, fine, if not, no big loss.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next