Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: DC Shazam SDCC Exclusive
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:25 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

An answer about New 52 in the sub from the Matty forums...

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve/fo ... 5081090028

er13601 wrote:
Are we to assume now that Shazam is to be released in CIE packaging that we will be getting New 52 figures in the sub now? If this the case,count me out.

Toyguru wrote:
No. There will not be New 52 versions of characters in the sub. Shazam is a SDCC item and is not in the sub.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:16 pm 
Resin

I think it is both hilarious and sad that Scott is stuck responding to a horde of fans all hating Mattel's decision for DC at SDCC as he tries to spin it positively and explain why it's a great decision when it's clearly not by majority - vast majority - opinion.

It's a cross-sell! Don't care. No one seems to, in fact...
You don't have to buy it! Still doesn't make it not a waste of a figure.
$25 - but only because it's a lower quota! Still awful quality compared to a $40 Figuarts.
"It wasn't me! I'm only part of a team!" Sounds like you need a new team, or for the ToyGuru to be a more strategic player.

Again, Mattel is totally ignoring what fans are saying, what fans want, and just crams down the same corporate B.S. we've been hearing and that's really hurting Mattel's lines, good will, and image.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:29 am 
Tis' but a pup

No Billy! Hold in the sneeze!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:37 am 
shirtless hugger

DirkMaximus wrote:

No Billy! Hold in the sneeze!

SHA-CHOOOO!!!

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:42 am 
Variant Head

SDcomics wrote:

Amen :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:03 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

I like the figure, but it seems lacking for an SDCC exclusive, especially compared with previous exclusives like Lobo, the Wonder Twins, Plastic Man and Swamp Thing. It could have easily sold at retail as part of the DC Comics Unlimited line. I guess it's better than Vertigo's Death, the staction that was offered last year.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:30 pm 
An Insider

Toyguru wrote:
Shazam is a SDCC item and is not in the sub.
[/quote]

He's just dressed that way.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:33 am 
PVC

GoldBlade6 wrote:
$25 - but only because it's a lower quota! Still awful quality compared to a $40 Figuarts.

Since Tamashii Web / event exclusive S.H. Figuarts usually at a lower quota, it cost $60 instead of $40 with still the same amount of joints.

To be fair, how about comparing a $60 convention/event exclusive Figuarts with a $25 convention exclusive Shazam?

(Asia market is huge for Kamen Riders, DragonBall, Sailormoon, etc. Bandai can afford to have more joints, details and better quality due to much much higher volume.)

Just saying.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:55 pm 
Brand Manager

Yes, Bugs.
Yes, they are.
ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:05 pm 
Daniel Pickett

Exclusive Interview with Toy Guru about the SDCC New 52 Shazam. Why it was picked and what it means for the future of DC Club Infinite Earths.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main ... ith-mattel

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:46 pm 
shirtless hugger

I can understand some of the reasoning Scott provides about why they picked Shazam for SDCC. They would want to save the truly fan-demanded characters for the sub so that people will buy into it and keep it going.

Looking for: MOC trilingual Super Powers Flash, and any pre-production Super Powers Flash items (proof cards, prototypes, etc.). Basically anything that's Super Powers and Flash related, I am interested in.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:24 pm 
Brand Manager

Here's my take away from ToyGuru's interview...

1. Captain Marvel was conceived as a potential retail figure.

2. No oversized Signature Figure was planned or developed for ComicCon.

3. There were no slots left in 2013 for Mattel to schedule Captain Marvel as a DC Unlimited retail offering.

4. The options were simple... hold on to CM until 2014 (and have no SDCC showing); or sell him as an exclusive.

5. Early release and low production numbers will result in customers paying $25 dollars instead of $15.99. Maybe even $35, if that's your only SDCC purchase. (I guess impatience has a price.)

6. Toyguru finds it amusing that collectors are still asking for Nekron's Scythe. (I mean... The gall of some fans! Can't they tell a lost cause when they see it? Idjits!) :wink:

7. According to ToyGuru, there's some list somewhere in the internet, where the Red Hood was a highly demanded figure. The funny thing about it is that... he found the list, but he didn't care enough to check which version of the Red Hood, fans were actually demanding. That and the fact that he could achieve the character's classic look by simply mixing existing DCUC tools like Vigilante's legs/boots and Animal Man's upper half.

8. Not addressed, but definitely a problem... the fact that most Captain Marvel fans who decide to buy this figure, will eventually want a New 52 Black Adam to go with it. This creates a no-win-scenario for them. For instance... Mattel can outright deny the figure based on Captain Marvel's performance (which looks to be poor.) They can also schedule it for retail (thus creating a 2-to-1 disparity between CM & Black Adam figures.) Or they can schedule Black Adam for a future Comic Con and risk having this discussion all over again.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:28 pm 
Bob Vila

Glad to see I'm not the only one that sees the holes in his story, sorry, explanation. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:57 pm 
Mattel Mogul

What holes? He was never developed for the retail line, he was the Sdcc item from day (if that clarifies)

Also, to clarify, I tend to get way to much "credit" sometimes. I do not just choose characters. I am part of a much larger team Including design, marketing, packaging, as well as our great partners at WB and DC. Together each year is planned out based around many factors including fan requests, costs, tooling, entertainment (ie what is going on in the comics, tv and film) as well as other strategic and logistical factors.

Not every figure will be for everyone. And I don't think it is at all odd fans want unreleased but shown figures. I feel the same way! It kills me that Toy Biz never made the Darkhawk 6" fig. I was just using an example to show why we don't announce things that aren't locked in. I wasn't implying fans wanting these items is bad. It's the total opposite! It was an example to illustrate my answer, not a commentary on the request.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:08 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

If the budget for DC figures is so anemic, has anyone proposed the idea of less figures per year that cost more but have more accessories and unique sculpting?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next