Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: When answers create more questions....
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:25 pm 
declined to be a vampire

BCYa wrote:
I am actually starting to feel sorry for Matty with all this endless bitching I keep seeing. The people who subscribe to this line are the whiniest fussiest pickiest bunch I've ever seen. I don't know how they put up with it.

I've never signed up for the sub, because I don't want to blindly buy action figures ever. I picked up Starman when he went on sale, but the sub thing is just asking for trouble - there is no way they will ever make everybody happy every time. If they could make Doomsday or Granny who you guys keep harping for and have it be a success, why wouldn't they? No matter why they do it's always a bunch of whiners up in arms!

I think that's fairly well said. I'll buy what I want to buy, and the rest I won't. I made the mistake of signing up for the sub for the first year, hoping that we'd get a figure or two I really wanted in the event the sub died and didn't make year two. I thought the first year was terrible and hated that I was on the hook for it. I realize that's my opinion of how good/bad the line was, but it was my money. I didn't feel like the effort was there for them to convince me that year 2 would be good enough for me to spend, and I didn't.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:49 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

I really don't know what the future holds for the line... would a return to waves of classics at retail rejuvenate the fan base? Probably, yes.

But I feel DC and WB are so hell bent on pushing their Nu52 down our throats that this will never happen, and Mattel do what they are told by DC and WB. I feel it comes down to this... DC and WB saying "we will sell you the license to are characters, but these are the versions of the characters we want you to push". If thats they way it is then we are fighting a losing battle.

DCUC was a nostalgia based line, it gave fans of the history of DC the figures they wanted in a uniform and collective style. The year when DC and WB told Mattel they wanted this to change the writing was on the wall, and this is why we are where we are now.

I don't now if mattel are able to fight back or even have the stones to do so, but the money was in doing the classics and feeding the fans the versions of characters that they wanted. Changing that has led to the slow death of what was a great line, a line that could and should have gone on for many, many more years.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:43 pm 
3 3/4"

I alway thought Mattel saw an opening with the fact that there was no Marvel legends.Knew they could make some good money in that void.This line was a nice cash grab that failed more often than not. In 2014 it will be the last of the classic 6inch figures

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:34 am 
Wonderdog

elvis8batman wrote:
TG: We wish we could! The problem with that is things in the toy industry change all the time. One of the things fans/customers tend to find the most frustrating is when we announce a figure or accessories and that figure doesn’t make it to market. Heck, fans are still asking for Modern Red Tornado, Nekron’s weapon and Wonder Woman’s spear (a dropped accessory that was sculpted but not tool’d for the Wave 4 figure in 2009). We just don’t feel comfortable announcing the name of a figure that could potentially change.

Me: Sorry but BS. You always tell us how the toy industry works about a year and a half ahead of itself. Well it either does or it doesn't. You either hit that point of no return where all cost's and licensing agreements are accounted for and your locked in or you don't. If you don't know what your going to make and have ready for production by the time you announce subscriptions for the next years sub then how are you able to make them in the time frame that you state you work to?

This. I might actually consider the sub if I knew a little more about what it contained. And I'm sorry, but no way do I believe that things are that up in the air, not with the time frames involved. I think that as long as they keep us in the dark, they think they'll get more subscribers. Better to have potential subscribers hope for a good selection than to see the actual choices and have all doubt removed.

And I guess it works, for some people. I personally would never go for anything sight unseen. I feel like the whole sub thing came out of the fact that their MOTU stuff originally sold out in minutes, and fans were getting sick of that, and of dealing with Digital River, and of the White Screen of Death. Better to risk getting stuck with a figure you didn't want than to miss out on a figure you did want. But I don't think it works quite that way with DC fans. (At least not with me.) As a DC fan, I want to build teams, or to have a shelf of all-GL-related figures -- you get the idea. I could care less about, say, Superman villains. And I sure don't want things like the version of Red Hood that Mattel is making. When I first saw it, I thought they were making Mr. Toxic.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:46 am 
5th Horseman

I'm sorry, but those who don't subscribe to the sub, have no right to complain about those of us who do. WE are the ones paying money and, as such, the right of the consumer is to criticize the supplier until demands are met. That is the heart of capitalism. If you don't spend money, because you can't or won't, that is your right. But you can not sit there and judge those who do invest their money into a line that you ultimately benefit from, even if you only buy one figure, when we are unhappy with how our money is being spent.

I also agree that it's just a matter of smart resource management and good customer relations. Both of which this brand team is clearly inept at.

Regarding the Sub, I can spit out 12 figures that are fan demanded, that only require a new head, in some cases we wouldn't even need that. Red Hood was no where in that list. However... of this year's revealed slots... he is the ONLY figure I am dissatisfied with.

Regarding the retail line, I'm ok with wanting to represent New 52 on shelves, but they just aren't smart about how to do it. There are prominent characters in the New 52 that haven't been made as figures at all. Where is Ocean Master- the lead villain in two titles this year? Why wasn't Phantom Stranger at retail? He has his own book in the new 52!!! Throwing one of those figures in the mix with the obligatory Superman/Batman repaints would keep collector interest on shelves, and let's face it... kids/moms buy toys, but collectors are also helping to move stock.

The INJUSTICE figures look horrid. The fact that they are releasing an INJUSTICE Green Lantern BEFORE a New 52 GL is simply inane. The fact that we are getting 2 (count em 2!) INJUSTICE Batman, is baffling. I am a HUGE fan of INJUSTICE. I would buy every single figure in those designs... but these figures do not represent what I love about that game and the characters in there. And, mark my words, will cause the line to stagnate.

Mismanaged.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:16 am 
ABS

AnimateTed wrote:

Regarding the Sub, I can spit out 12 figures that are fan demanded, that only require a new head, in some cases we wouldn't even need that. Red Hood was no where in that list. However... of this year's revealed slots... he is the ONLY figure I am dissatisfied with.

Regarding the retail line, I'm ok with wanting to represent New 52 on shelves, but they just aren't smart about how to do it. There are prominent characters in the New 52 that haven't been made as figures at all. Where is Ocean Master- the lead villain in two titles this year? Why wasn't Phantom Stranger at retail? He has his own book in the new 52!!! Throwing one of those figures in the mix with the obligatory Superman/Batman repaints would keep collector interest on shelves, and let's face it... kids/moms buy toys, but collectors are also helping to move stock.

Red Hood was a demanded figure, just not the version they picked. I'm disappointed with their choice, because I'd rather get the biker version (as people refer to it as) but judging the Red Hood as a figure alone, I'm going to be fine with it. I think it'll make for a cool looking figure. It'll just irk me if the red dome comes off revealing red hair.

As far as retail, I don't know if the two you mentioned would work at retail. Maybe Ocean Master...maybe. I don't know if kids would care about him or not. Phantom Stranger would be an extremely hard sell and I'd say a peg warmer.

Now, if you said Frankenstein, I think that could work. It's a name people know. Kids may say, Frankenstein with a gun?...a sword?...cool!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:05 pm 
declined to be a vampire

I haven't read each post, but has anyone in here been complaining about people who buy the sub? You are right in that each person has the right to buy it or not. Although each figure from the sub is available to non subscribers day of release, so ultimately it doesn't matter if you subscribe to the sub or not, you have access to the figures. My point was (if any of this was directed at me), that like you said, this line is mismanaged and I think they have an awesome way to bump up sales of the sub. So many of us don't like the idea of blind subscribing, but might be more on board if at least a portion of the figures we do know about ahead of time are ones we picked. I think each year we know what...4-5 of the figures before it comes out? Imagine if we knew who they were and they were ones we picked. I think that would increase sales of the sub.

But I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. Also, I apologize if anything I've said here gave you any indication that I'm "judging" anyone who buys the sub. I don't, and I hope it continues to be successful enough that you guys continue to get it. I just haven't been happy with the figure selection on the methodology behind it.

AnimateTed wrote:
I'm sorry, but those who don't subscribe to the sub, have no right to complain about those of us who do. WE are the ones paying money and, as such, the right of the consumer is to criticize the supplier until demands are met. That is the heart of capitalism. If you don't spend money, because you can't or won't, that is your right. But you can not sit there and judge those who do invest their money into a line that you ultimately benefit from, even if you only buy one figure, when we are unhappy with how our money is being spent.

I also agree that it's just a matter of smart resource management and good customer relations. Both of which this brand team is clearly inept at.

The INJUSTICE figures look horrid. The fact that they are releasing an INJUSTICE Green Lantern BEFORE a New 52 GL is simply inane. The fact that we are getting 2 (count em 2!) INJUSTICE Batman, is baffling. I am a HUGE fan of INJUSTICE. I would buy every single figure in those designs... but these figures do not represent what I love about that game and the characters in there. And, mark my words, will cause the line to stagnate.

Mismanaged.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:08 pm 
declined to be a vampire

starks wrote:

Red Hood was a demanded figure, just not the version they picked. I'm disappointed with their choice, because I'd rather get the biker version (as people refer to it as) but judging the Red Hood as a figure alone, I'm going to be fine with it. I think it'll make for a cool looking figure. It'll just irk me if the red dome comes off revealing red hair.

As far as retail, I don't know if the two you mentioned would work at retail. Maybe Ocean Master...maybe. I don't know if kids would care about him or not. Phantom Stranger would be an extremely hard sell and I'd say a peg warmer.

Now, if you said Frankenstein, I think that could work. It's a name people know. Kids may say, Frankenstein with a gun?...a sword?...cool!

I think that's fair. Was this the Red Hood I wanted? Nope. And that seems to be the majority (I know some prefer the one that's coming in the sub, but the vocal seems to indicate the biker one is the one we want). I will try to grab the one that was made from someone, but again, getting the one we receive is a reason why I'm glad I didn't purchase the sub. It seems that some figures there just isn't a good reason why one was made. Was Constantine that heavy of wanted figure? I honestly don't know. Uncle Sam? I know everyone wanted Wally West, so that seems to be a home run, but then looking back at 20 waves of DCUC, I can't for the life of me figure out why that one wasn't already made. A lot of people hooked up to a sub for a figure we should've gotten 2-3 years ago. At least in my opinion anyways.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:32 pm 
5th Horseman

Bunger43 wrote:
I haven't read each post, but has anyone in here been complaining about people who buy the sub? You are right in that each person has the right to buy it or not. Although each figure from the sub is available to non subscribers day of release, so ultimately it doesn't matter if you subscribe to the sub or not, you have access to the figures. My point was (if any of this was directed at me), that like you said, this line is mismanaged and I think they have an awesome way to bump up sales of the sub. So many of us don't like the idea of blind subscribing, but might be more on board if at least a portion of the figures we do know about ahead of time are ones we picked. I think each year we know what...4-5 of the figures before it comes out? Imagine if we knew who they were and they were ones we picked. I think that would increase sales of the sub.

But I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. Also, I apologize if anything I've said here gave you any indication that I'm "judging" anyone who buys the sub. I don't, and I hope it continues to be successful enough that you guys continue to get it. I just haven't been happy with the figure selection on the methodology behind it.

Nope! It wasn't you. It was the comment about us being "whiny". I agree that the Red Hood in the Mr Terriffic Jacket would have been perfect and well recieved!

I also think that Frankenstein would rock at retail.

But for clarity, if there were NOT subscribers, the line itself would either not exist (giving cherry pickets the opportunity to purchase single figures) or be exhorbantly expensive. They need to have a baseline production order to trigger. And they use the subscription numbers to account for that.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:22 pm 
declined to be a vampire

AnimateTed wrote:

Nope! It wasn't you. It was the comment about us being "whiny". I agree that the Red Hood in the Mr Terriffic Jacket would have been perfect and well recieved!

I also think that Frankenstein would rock at retail.

But for clarity, if there were NOT subscribers, the line itself would either not exist (giving cherry pickets the opportunity to purchase single figures) or be exhorbantly expensive. They need to have a baseline production order to trigger. And they use the subscription numbers to account for that.

I think all of us as toy collectors tend to be a bit whiny from time to time. LOL.

I agree the line is dead without subscribers.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:31 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Personally, I like the sub because it's pretty much the only place to get classic figures anymore. Plus, DC retail has been nearly dead (Hawkman is the only figure I bought at retail in months) for the better part of two years.

Of course, I wish the sub catered to my tastes more (Mera, Ocean Master, Aqualad, Tempest, Dolphin, Tula, notice a pattern?), but that's just the way it is. I do think they could do a poll and make sure the top three make it into a sub. Like do the poll at SDCC and get the figures done by the end of the following year's sub. That would still fit into the 12-18 time frame they speak of, while drumming up sales for the new sub.

Personally, considering how close it was last year, I wonder if 2014 will even be a go.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:17 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

jamiwa3 wrote:
I just want to know why he keeps spelling "tooled" as "tool'd." Is there a joke that I'm not getting, or is this just the new way of spelling regular verbs in simple past tense?

That's ToyGuru humor. Or maybe, he's taking a page from us when we call out when people are Matty'd :) On a side note, I loved the fact that we got Superfriends in the DCUC line. Loved it. Only, I'm certain that those characters weren't on any fans' or fansite's absolute wish lists. at least, not near the top of them. Should've been a concept saved for Justice League Unlimited if you ask me! They started it there w/ the Apache Chief three pack.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:05 am 
Knows his stuff

Howard the Duck wrote:
On a side note, I loved the fact that we got Superfriends in the DCUC line. Loved it. Only, I'm certain that those characters weren't on any fans' or fansite's absolute wish lists. at least, not near the top of them. Should've been a concept saved for Justice League Unlimited if you ask me! They started it there w/ the Apache Chief three pack.

I don't collect DCUC, but I honestly would have gotten just the Superfriends figures, if 1). I actually saw the Superfriends wave in the store and 2). I could get the Wonder Twins and Gleek without taking out a second mortgage.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:51 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

I wonder what will happen if the sub doesn't get enough sign up for 2014. In ToyGurus reply he said the line up for next year is really great, if so, would these already planned figures make it to the retail line? Would they go back to DC waves again at retail?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:03 am 
Aspires to be #1

elvis8batman wrote:
I wonder what will happen if the sub doesn't get enough sign up for 2014. In ToyGurus reply he said the line up for next year is really great, if so, would these already planned figures make it to the retail line? Would they go back to DC waves again at retail?

They would probably find some way to release them like they did with the JLU 3-packs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next