Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: When answers create more questions....
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:26 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:15 pm
Posts: 1889
Location: Earth
elvis8batman wrote:
I wonder what will happen if the sub doesn't get enough sign up for 2014. In ToyGurus reply he said the line up for next year is really great, if so, would these already planned figures make it to the retail line? Would they go back to DC waves again at retail?



So he basically confirmed the list is known and probably finalized for the most part, and yet they'll once again refuse to simply LIST the names of every character planned for the 2014 sub so that potential subscribers know what we're committing to if we sign up.

I'm so sick of the "Mystery Box" mentality of this subscription program. Stop treating us like children that aren't allowed to unwrap our presents until Christmas morning. We're paying for our own damn presents, so we deserve to know what we're buying. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When answers create more questions....
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:07 am 
User avatar
Aspires to be #1
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:54 am
Posts: 12388
Location: College Station, TX
shabbyblue wrote:
elvis8batman wrote:
I wonder what will happen if the sub doesn't get enough sign up for 2014. In ToyGurus reply he said the line up for next year is really great, if so, would these already planned figures make it to the retail line? Would they go back to DC waves again at retail?



So he basically confirmed the list is known and probably finalized for the most part, and yet they'll once again refuse to simply LIST the names of every character planned for the 2014 sub so that potential subscribers know what we're committing to if we sign up.

I'm so sick of the "Mystery Box" mentality of this subscription program. Stop treating us like children that aren't allowed to unwrap our presents until Christmas morning. We're paying for our own damn presents, so we deserve to know what we're buying. :roll:


That's easy to say now, but if they were to tell us Character A was coming in November and for some reason they had to change that, them there would be a riot. Especially from the people who may have bought in for Character A's inclusion. It's just smart business not to reveal what's coming until they know for sure that it will be.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When answers create more questions....
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:51 am 
User avatar
declined to be a vampire
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:41 am
Posts: 2410
Location: Northwest Indiana
elvis8batman wrote:
I wonder what will happen if the sub doesn't get enough sign up for 2014. In ToyGurus reply he said the line up for next year is really great, if so, would these already planned figures make it to the retail line? Would they go back to DC waves again at retail?


Do we know this potentially great lineup yet?

If not, then why not? I'd be much more inclined to purchase if I knew all the figures.

_________________
I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When answers create more questions....
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:12 am 
User avatar
Displays Backwards
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:05 am
Posts: 1185
Location: New York City
j1h15233 wrote:
That's easy to say now, but if they were to tell us Character A was coming in November and for some reason they had to change that, them there would be a riot. Especially from the people who may have bought in for Character A's inclusion. It's just smart business not to reveal what's coming until they know for sure that it will be.


I agree. With so many variables that could lead to delays (i.e., approval from partners, production in China, shipping to the United States), releasing a full lineup is asking for trouble. If a figure were delayed or cancelled, subscribers would claim breach of contract and threaten to sue, which is bad PR for Mattel.

Plus, it could give Mattel's competition a chance to steal the spotlight and release a similar figure sooner. If you've ever been to Toy Fair, you know how secretive toy companies can be.

In addition, providing a full list to adult collectors could backfire on Mattel. If the full list did not include enough "must-haves," collectors could simply opt to cherry-pick instead of subscribing.

Teasing the subscription model with a peek at a few figures gives Mattel more wiggle room. It's a smart business move.

Bottom line, if you're not comfortable subscribing, then don't. The figures will show up on MattyCollector or eBay eventually.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When answers create more questions....
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:54 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 5965
Location: Shelbyville, KY
GregNYC wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:
That's easy to say now, but if they were to tell us Character A was coming in November and for some reason they had to change that, them there would be a riot. Especially from the people who may have bought in for Character A's inclusion. It's just smart business not to reveal what's coming until they know for sure that it will be.


I agree. With so many variables that could lead to delays (i.e., approval from partners, production in China, shipping to the United States), releasing a full lineup is asking for trouble. If a figure were delayed or cancelled, subscribers would claim breach of contract and threaten to sue, which is bad PR for Mattel.

Plus, it could give Mattel's competition a chance to steal the spotlight and release a similar figure sooner. If you've ever been to Toy Fair, you know how secretive toy companies can be.

In addition, providing a full list to adult collectors could backfire on Mattel. If the full list did not include enough "must-haves," collectors could simply opt to cherry-pick instead of subscribing.

Teasing the subscription model with a peek at a few figures gives Mattel more wiggle room. It's a smart business move.

Bottom line, if you're not comfortable subscribing, then don't. The figures will show up on MattyCollector or eBay eventually.


Im sorry their is no excuse for their model-- If the GI Joe collector club (a completely backwards run company)-- can do it ,there is no reason for Mattel not to be able to do it--(Especially since the collector club has to negotiate with Hasbro as well) -- they just need to change up some of their practices to get around the legalese-- dont claim certain figures will be coming out on certain dates-- just that you will be getting these specific twelve figures-- dont tell me all the other product lines take 12-18 months in advance planning before they come to market and they cant do the same for an internal line. (especially an internal line that doesnt utilize lots of new sculpts)

_________________
Fastest know derailer of threads in the know universe...expanded or otherwise.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When answers create more questions....
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:44 pm 
User avatar
Aspires to be #1
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:54 am
Posts: 12388
Location: College Station, TX
No one said they can't do it, we said they shouldn't.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When answers create more questions....
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:29 pm 
User avatar
Hat Pooper
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:03 pm
Posts: 598
If you go to a wrestling PPV they always say:Subject to change.Why not just do that.Dont tell who is comming in what month just that these are the figures we are getting

_________________
Mattel can go to Hell


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When answers create more questions....
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:35 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:15 pm
Posts: 1889
Location: Earth
j1h15233 wrote:
No one said they can't do it, we said they shouldn't.



That's just your opinion. Others of us say they SHOULD. It has been said time and time again here that more people would probably sign up if they simply KNEW what they were getting for their money instead of taking a blind gamble on a "mystery box". Other similar annual subscriptions, such as the GI Joe one, have proven that it CAN be done, so Mattel has no excuses.

And as others above have said, a simple disclaimer that the lineup is subject to change at any time would be enough to avoid potential breach of contract accusations from subscribers later on. With the way ToyGuru is already hyping up the lineup for 2014, telling us how much we're going to love it, I find it hard to believe that the majority of figures would still be pending approval. Every single figure that is a sure thing for next year should be revealed up front once the 2014 subscription goes up for order this year -- even if its just character photos from the comics, or simply a list of names. That's all many of us need to decide if we want to commit or not, and Mattel would benefit from that a lot more than keeping three-fourths of the lineup a secret. After two years of mixed feelings and buyer's remorse, they need to be a lot more forthcoming about it if they want the sub to suceed for a 3rd year.


Last edited by shabbyblue on Tue May 21, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When answers create more questions....
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:48 pm 
User avatar
Aspires to be #1
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:54 am
Posts: 12388
Location: College Station, TX
shabbyblue wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:
No one said they can't do it, we said they shouldn't.



That's just your opinion. Others of us say they SHOULD. It has been said time and time again here that more people would probably sign up if they simply KNEW what they were getting for their money instead of taking a blind gamble on a "mystery box". Other similar annual subscriptions, such as the GI Joe one, have proven that it CAN be done, so Mattel has no excuses.

And as others above have said, a simple disclaimer that the lineup is subject to change at any time would be enough to avoid potential breach of contract accusations from subscribers later on. With the way ToyGuru is already hyping up the lineup for 2014, telling us how much we're going to love it, I find it hard to believe that the majority of figures would still be pending approval. They should reveal as many of the figures as possible up front once the 2014 subscription goes up for order this year -- even if its just character photos from the comics, or simply a list of names. That's all many of us need to decide if we want to commit or not. After two years or mixed feelings about these subs and many disappointments, they need to be a lot more forthcoming about it if they want it to suceed for a 3rd year.


If you seriously think that the people who would be buying into this sub if they knew all the figures are rational enough to understand that things change and the figure they were promised may not be coming in their sub or may not be coming at all then I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When answers create more questions....
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:51 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:15 pm
Posts: 1889
Location: Earth
j1h15233 wrote:
If you seriously think that the people who would be buying into this sub if they knew all the figures are rational enough to understand that things change and the figure they were promised may not be coming in their sub or may not be coming at all then I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.



I do think that the MAJORITY of people here are rational, mature adults who would understand and accept such a disclaimer, and they would still be MORE willing to subscribe to it if they had a clear idea of what they were investing their money in as opposed to a "mystery box" where only 2 or 3 of the 12 figures are revealed from the start. If you believe otherwise, then you are perceiving us the same as Mattel often does -- just stupid naive children. I'm actually surprised that you are arguing in favor of secrecy instead of open information.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When answers create more questions....
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:01 pm 
User avatar
Aspires to be #1
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:54 am
Posts: 12388
Location: College Station, TX
shabbyblue wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:
If you seriously think that the people who would be buying into this sub if they knew all the figures are rational enough to understand that things change and the figure they were promised may not be coming in their sub or may not be coming at all then I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.



I do think that the MAJORITY of people here are rational, mature adults who would understand and accept such a disclaimer, and they would still be MORE willing to subscribe to it if they had a clear idea of what they were investing their money in as opposed to a "mystery box" where only 2 or 3 of the 12 figures are revealed from the start. If you believe otherwise, then you are perceiving us the same as Mattel often does -- just stupid naive children. I'm actually surprised that you are arguing in favor of secrecy instead of open information.


Here yes, everywhere else no. It certainly seems like I encounter more "Mattel is evil, Toyguru is a manipulative liar" people than rational ones. I just can't imagine it would go well if they had to change even one figure that they said was coming. Personally, I would love to see the whole lineup. I don't really trust TG's opinion of a great year of figures (he did love Kamandi) but of course I'd want to hear the whole list.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When answers create more questions....
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:42 am 
User avatar
categorically opposed
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 2721
Location: Pittsburgh
j1h15233 wrote:
Here yes, everywhere else no. It certainly seems like I encounter more "Mattel is evil, Toyguru is a manipulative liar" people than rational ones. I just can't imagine it would go well if they had to change even one figure that they said was coming. Personally, I would love to see the whole lineup. I don't really trust TG's opinion of a great year of figures (he did love Kamandi) but of course I'd want to hear the whole list.

All you have to do is go to Matty's very own forums to see the crazies. If you don't hate Mattel and have a bunch of conspiracy theories at the ready, you're not welcome, and rational posts are ignored in favor of wishlists.

As I said before, revealing an entire lineup is a double-edged sword. There are valid arguments for both sides. Personally, I want a fleshed-out DC Universe in DCUC style, so I don't really care. I'm their target customer for the sub.

The guy who only wants characters that have spoken to Black Canary over nonfat lattes on Tuesdays is not.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When answers create more questions....
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:08 pm 
User avatar
declined to be a vampire
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:41 am
Posts: 2410
Location: Northwest Indiana
If good faith means a figure doesn't get made when they say it will, I can handle that.

Where I would get upset is if they gave us the list of 12 and 9 of them weren't made, then yeah...that wouldn't be cool.


But the simple disclaimer method above would solve problems, and there shouldn't be any reason that Mattel couldn't keep up with the majority of figures they said they could offer to us.

_________________
I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When answers create more questions....
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:57 pm 
User avatar
Displays Backwards
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:05 am
Posts: 1185
Location: New York City
MoMoney wrote:
As I said before, revealing an entire lineup is a double-edged sword. There are valid arguments for both sides. Personally, I want a fleshed-out DC Universe in DCUC style, so I don't really care. I'm their target customer for the sub.

The guy who only wants characters that have spoken to Black Canary over nonfat lattes on Tuesdays is not.


Agreed. There are many good reasons to release a lineup of figures in the subscription plan. I'd love to see that list!

But I think it's a smart business move for Mattel to only tease a few figures on the list because it offers the ability to move things around to accommodate for delays or a change of heart by a retailer.

And I have to say, I don't think revealing a full list last year that included the upcoming Red Hood figure would have enticed anyone to subscribe. It might have had the opposite effect! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: When answers create more questions....
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:13 pm 
User avatar
categorically opposed
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 2721
Location: Pittsburgh
GregNYC wrote:
And I have to say, I don't think revealing a full list last year that included the upcoming Red Hood figure would have enticed anyone to subscribe. It might have had the opposite effect! :D

Exactly. At least with the buy-in blind method, we all have hope that our favorite character is going to make the cut. You tell us all twelve figures in July? We have nothing to look forward to until the following July. This method creates conversation, speculation, and buzz all year.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright © www.actionfigureinsider.com


[ Time : 0.044s | 12 Queries | GZIP : Off ]