Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: When answers create more questions....
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:37 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

If say, there were 100 of the must have characters in their iconic versions/looks that we were able to pick from a poll set up by Mattel. From a list they know they can make. Then we wouldn't need to know the line up for the year as they could make anyone in that list of 100 at any point, but fans would know that in any given year, 12 of the most wanted, most agreed on characters will be made.

When the JLU was finally coming to an end, Mattel set out to make every card carrying member of the JLU team from the show, and they achieved it.

If they could just let us vote on the top 100 characters we want, then they can pick in what order they make them, but at least you'd know at some stage you'll get the ones you chose made.

I know 100 sounds like a lot, but when you think of all the varied characters that made it into the DCUC line at retail, and how many more characters are still wanted, some obvious, some obscure, I think that would give people the best chance of agreeing on a list

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:46 am 
Aspires to be #1

elvis8batman wrote:
If say, there were 100 of the must have characters in their iconic versions/looks that we were able to pick from a poll set up by Mattel. From a list they know they can make. Then we wouldn't need to know the line up for the year as they could make anyone in that list of 100 at any point, but fans would know that in any given year, 12 of the most wanted, most agreed on characters will be made.

When the JLU was finally coming to an end, Mattel set out to make every card carrying member of the JLU team from the show, and they achieved it.

If they could just let us vote on the top 100 characters we want, then they can pick in what order they make them, but at least you'd know at some stage you'll get the ones you chose made.

I know 100 sounds like a lot, but when you think of all the varied characters that made it into the DCUC line at retail, and how many more characters are still wanted, some obvious, some obscure, I think that would give people the best chance of agreeing on a list

Have you seen the wishlists for this line? Even if it was 100 characters long, how many people would want all of them, or even half of them? I don't think we can reach a consensus at this point, they've just done too many figures already.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:52 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

j1h15233 wrote:
elvis8batman wrote:

Have you seen the wishlists for this line? Even if it was 100 characters long, how many people would want all of them, or even half of them? I don't think we can reach a consensus at this point, they've just done too many figures already.

Yeah I have seen the wish lists, and most of them have a lot of the same characters on them, then just the personal randoms that are to be expected. I think between Mattel, DC/WB and fans, a list could be decided upon. Or a list could be drawn up by Mattel of 200 names, and we vote for our top 100. Then they make those 100 in what ever order they want to keep us guessing who's coming next.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:32 am 
Aspires to be #1

But my point is that I don't think there are that many characters left that people are actually willing to buy. It doesn't matter if a consensus list of 100 is reached if I only want 25 of them. Assuming a list of 100, that's 8 plus years of subs they would be trying to sell. If there are even 30 figures on that list I don't want then I'm probably not signing up for any more subs and the line ends. That's one of the biggest problems with Mattel laying out the entire list for a year.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:58 am 
categorically opposed

j1h15233 wrote:
But my point is that I don't think there are that many characters left that people are actually willing to buy. It doesn't matter if a consensus list of 100 is reached if I only want 25 of them. Assuming a list of 100, that's 8 plus years of subs they would be trying to sell. If there are even 30 figures on that list I don't want then I'm probably not signing up for any more subs and the line ends. That's one of the biggest problems with Mattel laying out the entire list for a year.

Not to mention that 2012 and 2013 have seen characters like Huntress, Platinum, Fire, Elongated Man, and Larfleeze - all of whom finished in the top ten in the Fwoosh's 2011 most-wanted 6" figure poll - get released. They're clearly looking at who they can do with the budget that they have, plus throwing in a handful of outliers for variety's sake.

You can probably hazard a guess as to who is likely to be announced. Looking for Vixen? Sub up. She's got a good shot. Looking for Renee Montoya? Tough noogies. If your personal want list deviates a great deal from the consensus, you're probably going to be better off not wasting your money.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:46 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

MoMoney wrote:
GregNYC wrote:
This method creates conversation, speculation, and buzz all year.

Yes but once the sub window is closed-all the talk in the world really doesnt matter because nobody new can buy in at that point-- and if there is not enough push to sign up for the sub up front, and keep it viable who cares if there is something to talk about in December, as if there arent enough sign ups- theres nothing to talk about for the entire year.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:06 am 
shirtless hugger

Hey! I didn't write that! :D

But I do agree with it. The buzz might not help subscription sales, but it does encourage day-of sales.

Last edited by GregNYC on Thu May 23, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:15 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I would have a hard time coming up with 50 more DC characters I would want. My must have list is getting pretty short:

1) Mera
2) Aqualad/Tempest (I want both, but at this point I'll settle for one)
3) Prometheus
4) A properly scaled Doomsday
5) Vixen
6) Ocean Master
7) Wonder Girl (Cassie)
8 ) Spoiler

After that, my interest really starts to taper off.

I will stick with the sub because I don't like most of the New 52 designs and because my retail purchases have dwindled (Star Wars is practically a non-entity at this point and both the Joes and Formers have been lackluster).

Trade Rating +55 and counting