Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 669 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mattel announces Adam West 1966 Batman line
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:02 pm 
serves the Otter

Wildcard wrote:
They said they had rights to the property, not necessarily to all the actors. I won't be surprised if Yvonne wants as much as what Adam West, the lead of the show and titular character, gets.

That's what I'm guessing. Mattel knows how popular Batgirl would be as a figure and would no doubt be pursuing likeness rights with her, so it's gotta be some issue on Craig's end that is holding up the rights (ie. $$$).

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:16 am 
Brand Manager

...or Mattel could be waiting to see if there's interest past the first two waves before committing additional money to secure her rights. I mean, why spend the money if the line is not going to last. After all, a lot of these Movie Masters lines don't make it past the first couple of waves.

Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:32 pm 
serves the Otter

Yeah but this is not like the DCUC line, where they could potentially just keep churning out wave after wave for years with a numerous list of characters to make as long as the line remains profitable. However, I'm confident there's a large enough fanbase out there ready to buy into this line to justify at least one more wave. People are underestimating the "Batmaniacs" that practically worship this tv series and have been anticipating the day when merchandise like this would finally be released. It also has the nostalgia factor to offer cross-appeal to casual buyers who don't normally buy Batman toys.

Mattel could easily cover the entire lineup of main characters and villains, along with significant variants (ie. plainclothes Bruce and Dick) within just 3-4 waves, and for the sake of "completing the team" they need to find a way to give us Batgirl! She ranks pretty high on the list of main characters, so it would be a shame to get all the major players EXCEPT her before this line ends.

It's like with the Ghostbusters line... getting lame characters like "The Rookie" from the video game, but not getting Gozer and the Demon Dogs (the main villains from the first film). Sure it was a lot cheaper to produce that stupid Rookie figure, but the principal of it hurts all the same. The GB line is now dead, and there's a glaring hole in it with the lack of Gozer and the Demon Dog. But hey... at least we got Vigo! :roll:

So if by some miracle the 1960s Batman line gets at least one more wave and it has Egghead or King Tut in it (not likely) or more silly Batman and Robin variants (very likely), but it DOESN'T have Batgirl in it, then I'm going to be severely disappointed in the lack of completeness for this toy line.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:19 am 
5th Horseman

Huge agreement on making the Batgirl figure without Craig's likeness. How much of a difference will it make. Yes, she had those pouting lips and pretty eyes, but I'm sure we'd all rather have Batgirl without her likeness than no Batgirl at all. For me, it's not a deal-breaker, as I have never been a huge Batgirl fan, but I get the nostalgia appeal as she was such a huge icon for the show.

I will pick up most of what this line has to offer. I would LOVE to see things like Batcave set pieces, Gordon and his desk with the Batphone, Bruce and Dick with study pieces (Shakespeare head, anyone?), and Alfred... But in all honesty, I don't know if it has a broad enough appeal for Mattel to sink any substantial coin into items that don't have a broad market appeal, such as the Dynamic Duo and their well-known rogues. We'll have to wait and see, but if I were a betting man, I'd say the one wave is about all we'll get.

But man... I'd love to be wrong!

Joe G. wrote:
Awesome. I had these pre-ordered from BBTS, but they're $2 cheaper per item from Amazon, plus I got free shipping.

Yeah, but I'd rather support BBTS.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:35 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

According to the front page, the Batmobile will be sold at Entertainment Earth's booth at comicon for $60. http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/toysrus-heads-to-sdcc-at-ee-booth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:01 pm 
Brand Manager

Saw that. And since you're here... and you're more experienced... do we take the $60 dollar tag to mean that the cost went up from $50? Or are those, in your opinion, just "convention" prices?

'Cause if it's the former... Called it!!! :P
Well, sort of. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:14 pm 
PVC

with all these big size items... will need a bigger box to ship all the stuff back home. Just the Man of Steel vs Zod box is huge.

Talos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:37 pm 
5" Scale

talosman wrote:
with all these big size items... will need a bigger box to ship all the stuff back home. Just the Man of Steel vs Zod box is huge.

Talos

Don't worry, there are plenty of boxes around the showroom :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:24 am 

red Ricky wrote:
Saw that. And since you're here... and you're more experienced... do we take the $60 dollar tag to mean that the cost went up from $50? Or are those, in your opinion, just "convention" prices?

'Cause if it's the former... Called it!!! :P
Well, sort of. :wink:

I noticed that, and if I had to make an educated guess based on 20+ years of comicon attendance, that's a convention price. Hasbro does it regularly, and it's not unusual for exclusives(even ones available at retail after the show) to have jacked up prices. They know you'll fork over that additional $10 spot, so they charge it.
Oftentimes, these items are flown in for the show, which adds to the cost versus the regular shipment coming by boat, and that could account for the higher price as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:52 am 
Aspires to be #1

Sorry if this info is around, I haven't been paying attention...when does this line start hitting stores? And the batmobile will be at retail right?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:45 am 
Brand Manager

1- Thanks, Cap! Bad news, though. Did a little research... looks like the price did go up. Which is bad news, on account that I have seen their Brick & Mortar stores markup items a few dollars above their online price.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... d=20500956

2- Joel... this line is scheduled for the August reset. Amazon has the 2-pack coming out on 8/1/13, the Riddler wave on 8/15/13, and the Joker wave on 8/30/13. The Batmobile is a TRU exclusive, and well... it's scheduled for July 15-18, but some Toys R' Us stores are better at restocking than others. The good thing is... once it hits their inventory system, it should be fairly easy to track using the product id numbers.

“R”Web#: 930506
    SKU: A3CD13C4
    UPC/EAN/ISBN: 746775282769
    Manufacturer #: BCG11

Last edited by red Ricky on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:36 am 
Aspires to be #1

Thanks for the info. Confirmed what I was thinking.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:24 am 

Great info, Red Ricky!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:47 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

Just got an e-mail form Amazon regarding my pre-orders for this line indicating Amazon won't be able to make the advertised release date and cannot give out a revised one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:43 am 
Brand Manager

...and the previously "exclusive" to Toys R' Us '66 Batmobile is now showing up in Target's website.

http://www.target.com/p/batman-classic- ... sic+batman

Oh, what will those wacky guys from Mattel's "DC retail team" think of next? :P
http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=clas ... sic+batman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 669 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 45  Next