Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: SDCC 2013: DC Comics Multiverse 4" line thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:03 pm 
Aspires to be #1

And yes, like Fone said, an animated line would not just be JLU. It could be anything DC animated - past, present and future. Particularly their dtv movies.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:27 pm 
serves the Otter

So yet another new scale that is neither compatible with other 3.75" lines, nor the larger 6" lines. Why would anyone be excited about this? If you're a fan of 3.75", these figures are going to be too big to fit in with the DCIH or Marvel Universe or other similarly scaled toy lines. It's just like how the Movie Masters figures were slightly smaller in scale with DCUC stuff, much to our frustration. So I guess we can forget about ever getting a Christopher Reeve Superman or Michael Keaton Batman to display with the other Movie Masters figures. :(

Oh, and scale aside, I fully expect the sculpting and paint jobs on these to look like crap if the DCIH line and 3.75" Batman, Man of Steel, and Green Lantern figures are an example of what Mattel does with smaller scaled figures.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:40 pm 
shirtless hugger

The only thing about this that interests me is the Keaton Batman. The rest are total passes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:40 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

Another swing and a miss. I have a perfectly fine Arkham collection in the 6" scale from DC collectibles with more on the way. How much of the Keaton likeness are you going to get at the 4" scale? We were asking for Keaton and Reeves at the 6" scale in all those Q+A's. No mention of Batman Unlimited's future? This was really underwhelming

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:46 pm 
Cold-cast

The Multiverse concept is great, and is exactly what a lot of us have been asking for for some time now. Theoretically, we could get a random JLU, Brave and the Bold, and Beware the Batman figure all sprinkled throughout the line over the long haul.

However, consolidating the Movie Masters into this line is a bad idea. I'll get the Keaton Bats, but will probably wrap up my MM collection now that the new figures are out of scale. Too bad. MM was one of my all-time favorite Mattel lines. 2nd only to JLU.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:03 pm 
Brand Manager

batfink wrote:
The Multiverse concept is great, and is exactly what a lot of us have been asking for for some time now. Theoretically, we could get a random JLU, Brave and the Bold, and Beware the Batman figure all sprinkled throughout the line over the long haul.

However, consolidating the Movie Masters into this line is a bad idea. I'll get the Keaton Bats, but will probably wrap up my MM collection now that the new figures are out of scale. Too bad. MM was one of my all-time favorite Mattel lines. 2nd only to JLU.

I'm totally upset about one of the figures I'm waitting for sooooo long being released in a totally new scale. Why not releasing Keaton Batman in the Movie Masters scale? That's the old matty style of making the collector feel completely "mattyd up" :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:10 pm 
Brand Manager

abuddah wrote:
We were asking for Keaton and Reeves at the 6" scale in all those Q+A's. This was really underwhelming

Amen!

How could they simply ignore the collectors like that? No one ever asked about these figures in 4 inch scale. So many of us asked for 6 inch scale or Movie Masters scale figures for years.

Why Matty? Why you just refuse to give your consumers what they want, and release it the way it could be sooo frustrating?

That's it. Hasbro started to release Star Wars in 6 inch scale (almost ALL the movie figures are in 6 inch scale, by the way). I'll save all the $ I would spend with these figures and start a 6 inch Star Wars collection. Big thanks Matty!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:14 pm 
active in the community

There are pics of this line up over at TNI. The Arkham Batman looks pretty good, only a few articulation points from the 6" Arkham Asylm/City Batman. As far as scale goes I think them being 4" isn't going to be too bad, you have to remember that MU tends to be closer to 4" than 3 3/4".

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:22 pm 
Collector Inspector

^That is right. MU is closer to 4in than 3.75in. Didn't a few of the DCIH start hitting that height to towards the end?

This is really the only line I am looking forward to that was show. Depending on price...
Deadshot and Azrael will be definite buys.
The second wave could be really awesome with figures from Tim Burton's Batman movies.

Although, it is kinda funny that after all these years of asking for Burton Batman MM, then we get the 60's stuff and think you are on the right track, to then just get kinda slapped like this.
Can't say this isn't mattel's pattern though. All our wants and ideas for JLU got sucked into DCIH.
If Batman/DC Unlimited have really been cancelled at retail, it just seems that mattel is getting out of the retail collector market and focusing on simple toys. Which isn't a terrible thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:50 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

Magog wrote:
I'm totally upset about one of the figures I'm waitting for sooooo long being released in a totally new scale. Why not releasing Keaton Batman in the Movie Masters scale? That's the old matty style of making the collector feel completely "mattyd up" :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I can't find the image now, but there was a funny cartoon about this a few years back where Matty walked up to a collector and kicked him in the crotch with this kind of behavior: "You just got Matty'd!"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:03 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

j1h15233 wrote:
The one thing I never understand is why they're not prepared with toylines when a show actually debuts. They work really closely with DC but they always seem caught off guard with show lines. Strike while the iron is hot dummies!

I'd blame the retailers for that. They want to make sure a show has the ratings with the right demographics before dedicating peg space to it. I expect them with the January resets provided the show is doing well with kids.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:08 pm 
serves the Otter

And here I thought the toy line drives the cartoon, not the other way around. If the toys are selling well, the cartoon stays on the air. When the toy line's sales weaken, the cartoon gets cancelled, and soon after the toy line too. See the GL:TAS and Clone Wars cartoons as recent examples.

Last edited by shabbyblue on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:09 pm 
Cold-cast

The only silver lining about the 4 inch scale is that the Keaton Batman will be able to fit inside the Kenner 1989 Batmobile / Batmissile, and will probably fit in well with the Super Powers line.

I hope the smaller scale will make vehicles, playsets, and collector cases more likely to be made for this line.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:13 pm 
serves the Otter

batfink wrote:
The only silver lining about the 4 inch scale is that the Keaton Batman will be able to fit inside the Kenner 1989 Batmobile / Batmissile, and will probably fit in well with the Super Powers line.

Not quite. The Super Powers figures are generally 4.75" to 5" in scale, so the Keaton Batman will be underscaled to them just as the Movie Masters figures compare to the DCUC line.

No matter how you look at it, 4 inches was a terrible scale to go with. Not small enough, or not big enough. Not compatible with any other toy line. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:19 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Has Mattel ever officially explained their need to change the scale with each and every new line? I remember when they asked us about what scale the late, lamented Young Justice figures should be in.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next