Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: SDCC 2013: MOTUC thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:02 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

Sadly, Plundor has been on it's way for quite some time. Not for me either.

Can anyone explain what a Standar is?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:48 am 
Resin

Some interesting items coming up just for the rest of the year. I have no idea who Sky High is, but I like the look of him. Mantenna is cool, as is Nepthu. Geldor certainly wasn't this fan's choice, but -- whatever.

I am very pleased to hear about the Horde Trooper 2-pack, but I am wondering how we will be able to choose between "clean" or "battle damaged", if this is part of the subscription? I would welcome a clean set. I detest battle damage.

For 2014, I really, really hope that Club Eternia continues, if only for Two Bad, who is long overdue in my opinion. Glimmer and Hydron are also certainly welcome additions.

The Stan Lee collaboration should be interesting, but with a name like "Standar", I wonder what he does. Just -- stands around?

And -- Goatman? Speaking as a WWE fan, I'm trying very hard to avoid any Daniel Bryan jokes just now...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:10 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

TrekkerGI wrote:
I am very pleased to hear about the Horde Trooper 2-pack, but I am wondering how we will be able to choose between "clean" or "battle damaged", if this is part of the subscription? I would welcome a clean set. I detest battle damage.

I think it is part of the filmation only package-- one of each (damaged/clean) in the 2 pack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:26 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

abuddah wrote:
Can anyone explain what a Standar is?

Im sure its a name that Stan Lee came up with-- he may be good at creating new characters and powers- but naming them has never been his cup of tea.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:44 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

stewbacca wrote:
TrekkerGI wrote:

I think it is part of the filmation only package-- one of each (damaged/clean) in the 2 pack

I saw reports of it being Filmation as well, however the slide shown indicates they're in the main sub (credit to toyark)
http://news.toyark.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2013/07/zmotuc-2013-14.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:17 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

You say that as if Mattel would be fully prepared for their biggest fan presentations of the year, and actually proofread their slides..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:40 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Can you imagine if the Internet had been around when MOTU first came out? People would have complained about everything. The line would never have been as successful as it was.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:01 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

I'm confused...What does Stan Lee have to do with Masters Of The Universe? Standar is strangely interesting, in a Hasbro Star Wars George Lucas as Jorg Sacul/Baron Papanoida sort of way, but at least it makes sense to me with Mr. Lucas.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:29 pm 
Collector Inspector

I do not collect MOTUC or any of the other online MM...
But I do feel sorry for yall that do.
Reading through the transcipts of that panel, everything was

-IF we hit enough subscribers...
-If enough people show interest

I do not understand why they show anything if there is still a chance of it never even seeing the light of day?
I really do not see how mattel makes a profit off this kind of business plan.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:07 am 
serves the Otter

DrGreenEvil wrote:
I do not collect MOTUC or any of the other online MM...
But I do feel sorry for yall that do.
Reading through the transcipts of that panel, everything was

-IF we hit enough subscribers...
-If enough people show interest

I do not understand why they show anything if there is still a chance of it never even seeing the light of day?
I really do not see how mattel makes a profit off this kind of business plan.

IF is no way to run a business.

Sell people stuff or don't. Quit dangling toys in front of us and tell us it's up to us to buy every single one to get the one we want. I have never heard of a business model like this before Mattel.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:59 am 
categorically opposed

Fone Bone wrote:
IF is no way to run a business.

Sell people stuff or don't. Quit dangling toys in front of us and tell us it's up to us to buy every single one to get the one we want. I have never heard of a business model like this before Mattel.

It's the exact same model that the toy industry has used for years, only the customer is usually retail and not direct consumers.

If retail heavy hitters don't go all-in on a product, they're not going to produce for a mom and pop, local retailer. They dangle products in front of every retailer that may be interested, but if they don't get a big enough order (i.e. Walmart balks), the product is scrapped.

It's the same concept.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:28 am 
Tis' but a pup

I'm happy with everything except Nephul, I never found his single episode that memorable.

Modulok is a dream come true! he is so beautiful...

The Horde troopers "eyes" seam misshaped. They are rounder and larger then they should be.
He doesn't look as menacing with these new softer, more rounded eyes...

The fact that MOTU has the range from Plundor to Modulok is what makes me love it so much.
It truly is a UNIVERSE full off all kinds, shapes, sizes and colors. Robot elephants, Ninja, space Cowboys, ancient Sorcerers, BIG BAD evil scary shingbling from before time and cutesy wootsie cuddley wuttily creatures all under a single property...Nothing is as diverse as MOTU...NOTHING!

Standor looks awesome. I'm going to give him a Comedy/Drama mask and make him Cosmic Chess budies with Zodac! :lol:

Howard the Duck wrote:
I'm confused...What does Stan Lee have to do with Masters Of The Universe? Standar is strangely interesting, in a Hasbro Star Wars George Lucas as Jorg Sacul/Baron Papanoida sort of way, but at least it makes sense to me with Mr. Lucas.

Stan Lee had nothing to do with MOTU. His company iis partnering up with Mattel for other promotional purposes. Mutual back scracthing to make money! MOTU sculpts are fully owned by Mattel, where as they can't use DC tooling for non DC purposes.

Wildcard wrote:
Kowl and Lo-kee alone are enough to make me a happy camper

Looking at them just totally makes my heart grow 3 times its normal size. I can't wait for "lo-Kee sightings" to become a new thing in collection photos. the vintage one was always inconspicuous looking and besides that rare...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:32 am 
Resin

TG said that they currently have no plans to release Lookee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:44 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

MoMoney wrote:
It's the exact same model that the toy industry has used for years, only the customer is usually retail and not direct consumers.

If retail heavy hitters don't go all-in on a product, they're not going to produce for a mom and pop, local retailer. They dangle products in front of every retailer that may be interested, but if they don't get a big enough order (i.e. Walmart balks), the product is scrapped.

It's the same concept.

Thank you!

Big retailers come first in this business. But this line was dying at retail, and the big players passed, so now the figures are being sold directly to collectors.

The subscription model reduces a lot of the risk for Mattel. It's a smart business move. For years, this risk was passed on to the retailers, who sometimes got stuck with excess product. Collectors benefited by buying toys on clearance. But retailers have learned to keep their inventory much smaller. Shareholders like that because it saves money.

Now, the risk is passed on to collectors. I understand people balking at that concept. If you are averse to risk, the subscription is not for you. The figures will be available on eBay or through collectors in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:18 am 
serves the Otter

BeeDub wrote:
TG said that they currently have no plans to release Lookee

Then I have no plans to visit their crummy website.

Kowl's still a go though, right? I may have to eat crow about the above statement then.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next