Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: SDCC 2013: MOTUC thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:02 am 
Hangin' with the big boys
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:46 pm
Posts: 336
Sadly, Plundor has been on it's way for quite some time. Not for me either.

Can anyone explain what a Standar is?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SDCC 2013: MOTUC thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:48 am 
Resin
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:03 am
Posts: 359
Some interesting items coming up just for the rest of the year. I have no idea who Sky High is, but I like the look of him. Mantenna is cool, as is Nepthu. Geldor certainly wasn't this fan's choice, but -- whatever.

I am very pleased to hear about the Horde Trooper 2-pack, but I am wondering how we will be able to choose between "clean" or "battle damaged", if this is part of the subscription? I would welcome a clean set. I detest battle damage.

For 2014, I really, really hope that Club Eternia continues, if only for Two Bad, who is long overdue in my opinion. Glimmer and Hydron are also certainly welcome additions.

The Stan Lee collaboration should be interesting, but with a name like "Standar", I wonder what he does. Just -- stands around?

And -- Goatman? Speaking as a WWE fan, I'm trying very hard to avoid any Daniel Bryan jokes just now...

_________________
I urgently need work: Experienced writer/photographer/typist/data entry, etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SDCC 2013: MOTUC thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:10 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 6274
Location: Shelbyville, KY
TrekkerGI wrote:
I am very pleased to hear about the Horde Trooper 2-pack, but I am wondering how we will be able to choose between "clean" or "battle damaged", if this is part of the subscription? I would welcome a clean set. I detest battle damage.
...



I think it is part of the filmation only package-- one of each (damaged/clean) in the 2 pack

_________________
Fastest know derailer of threads in the know universe...expanded or otherwise.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SDCC 2013: MOTUC thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:26 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 6274
Location: Shelbyville, KY
abuddah wrote:
Can anyone explain what a Standar is?



Im sure its a name that Stan Lee came up with-- he may be good at creating new characters and powers- but naming them has never been his cup of tea.

_________________
Fastest know derailer of threads in the know universe...expanded or otherwise.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SDCC 2013: MOTUC thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:44 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:46 pm
Posts: 336
stewbacca wrote:
TrekkerGI wrote:
I am very pleased to hear about the Horde Trooper 2-pack, but I am wondering how we will be able to choose between "clean" or "battle damaged", if this is part of the subscription? I would welcome a clean set. I detest battle damage.
...



I think it is part of the filmation only package-- one of each (damaged/clean) in the 2 pack


I saw reports of it being Filmation as well, however the slide shown indicates they're in the main sub (credit to toyark)
http://news.toyark.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2013/07/zmotuc-2013-14.jpg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SDCC 2013: MOTUC thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:17 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 6274
Location: Shelbyville, KY
You say that as if Mattel would be fully prepared for their biggest fan presentations of the year, and actually proofread their slides..

_________________
Fastest know derailer of threads in the know universe...expanded or otherwise.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SDCC 2013: MOTUC thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:40 pm 
User avatar
Damn you, Autocorrect!
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1525
Can you imagine if the Internet had been around when MOTU first came out? People would have complained about everything. The line would never have been as successful as it was.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SDCC 2013: MOTUC thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:01 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3094
I'm confused...What does Stan Lee have to do with Masters Of The Universe? Standar is strangely interesting, in a Hasbro Star Wars George Lucas as Jorg Sacul/Baron Papanoida sort of way, but at least it makes sense to me with Mr. Lucas.

_________________
'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SDCC 2013: MOTUC thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:29 pm 
Collector Inspector
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1329
I do not collect MOTUC or any of the other online MM...
But I do feel sorry for yall that do.
Reading through the transcipts of that panel, everything was

-IF we hit enough subscribers...
-If enough people show interest

I do not understand why they show anything if there is still a chance of it never even seeing the light of day?
I really do not see how mattel makes a profit off this kind of business plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SDCC 2013: MOTUC thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:07 am 
serves the Otter
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1907
DrGreenEvil wrote:
I do not collect MOTUC or any of the other online MM...
But I do feel sorry for yall that do.
Reading through the transcipts of that panel, everything was

-IF we hit enough subscribers...
-If enough people show interest

I do not understand why they show anything if there is still a chance of it never even seeing the light of day?
I really do not see how mattel makes a profit off this kind of business plan.

IF is no way to run a business.

Sell people stuff or don't. Quit dangling toys in front of us and tell us it's up to us to buy every single one to get the one we want. I have never heard of a business model like this before Mattel.

_________________
"I'm not Smiley! I'm a real cow! Mooooo! Think I'll chew me some cud!" - Smiley Bone a.k.a. The Mystery Cow.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SDCC 2013: MOTUC thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:59 am 
User avatar
categorically opposed
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 2721
Location: Pittsburgh
Fone Bone wrote:
IF is no way to run a business.

Sell people stuff or don't. Quit dangling toys in front of us and tell us it's up to us to buy every single one to get the one we want. I have never heard of a business model like this before Mattel.

It's the exact same model that the toy industry has used for years, only the customer is usually retail and not direct consumers.

If retail heavy hitters don't go all-in on a product, they're not going to produce for a mom and pop, local retailer. They dangle products in front of every retailer that may be interested, but if they don't get a big enough order (i.e. Walmart balks), the product is scrapped.

It's the same concept.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SDCC 2013: MOTUC thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:28 am 
Tis' but a pup
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:24 pm
Posts: 31
I'm happy with everything except Nephul, I never found his single episode that memorable.

Modulok is a dream come true! he is so beautiful...

The Horde troopers "eyes" seam misshaped. They are rounder and larger then they should be.
He doesn't look as menacing with these new softer, more rounded eyes...

The fact that MOTU has the range from Plundor to Modulok is what makes me love it so much.
It truly is a UNIVERSE full off all kinds, shapes, sizes and colors. Robot elephants, Ninja, space Cowboys, ancient Sorcerers, BIG BAD evil scary shingbling from before time and cutesy wootsie cuddley wuttily creatures all under a single property...Nothing is as diverse as MOTU...NOTHING!

Standor looks awesome. I'm going to give him a Comedy/Drama mask and make him Cosmic Chess budies with Zodac! :lol:

Howard the Duck wrote:
I'm confused...What does Stan Lee have to do with Masters Of The Universe? Standar is strangely interesting, in a Hasbro Star Wars George Lucas as Jorg Sacul/Baron Papanoida sort of way, but at least it makes sense to me with Mr. Lucas.


Stan Lee had nothing to do with MOTU. His company iis partnering up with Mattel for other promotional purposes. Mutual back scracthing to make money! MOTU sculpts are fully owned by Mattel, where as they can't use DC tooling for non DC purposes.

Wildcard wrote:
Kowl and Lo-kee alone are enough to make me a happy camper

Looking at them just totally makes my heart grow 3 times its normal size. I can't wait for "lo-Kee sightings" to become a new thing in collection photos. the vintage one was always inconspicuous looking and besides that rare...

_________________
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007. Total posts: 1095. Last visited: Thu May 20, 2010.
Formally known as Fallen EldorReason for the change in this thread


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SDCC 2013: MOTUC thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:32 am 
User avatar
Resin
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:56 pm
Posts: 385
Location: Lexington, Ky
TG said that they currently have no plans to release Lookee


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SDCC 2013: MOTUC thread
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:44 am 
User avatar
Killer Moth Fanatic
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:05 am
Posts: 1318
Location: New York City
MoMoney wrote:
It's the exact same model that the toy industry has used for years, only the customer is usually retail and not direct consumers.

If retail heavy hitters don't go all-in on a product, they're not going to produce for a mom and pop, local retailer. They dangle products in front of every retailer that may be interested, but if they don't get a big enough order (i.e. Walmart balks), the product is scrapped.

It's the same concept.



Thank you!

Big retailers come first in this business. But this line was dying at retail, and the big players passed, so now the figures are being sold directly to collectors.

The subscription model reduces a lot of the risk for Mattel. It's a smart business move. For years, this risk was passed on to the retailers, who sometimes got stuck with excess product. Collectors benefited by buying toys on clearance. But retailers have learned to keep their inventory much smaller. Shareholders like that because it saves money.

Now, the risk is passed on to collectors. I understand people balking at that concept. If you are averse to risk, the subscription is not for you. The figures will be available on eBay or through collectors in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SDCC 2013: MOTUC thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:18 am 
serves the Otter
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1907
BeeDub wrote:
TG said that they currently have no plans to release Lookee

Then I have no plans to visit their crummy website.

Kowl's still a go though, right? I may have to eat crow about the above statement then.

_________________
"I'm not Smiley! I'm a real cow! Mooooo! Think I'll chew me some cud!" - Smiley Bone a.k.a. The Mystery Cow.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], DirkMaximus


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: