Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: SDCC 2013: Ghostbusters thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:39 pm 
We're going streaking!

HalJordanist wrote:
Thanks, guys! I see some squirms from the price, and I haven't seen that info. What are they talking?

$215.00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:49 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

great pics here: http://news.toyark.com/2013/07/19/sdcc- ... to-1-96077

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:37 pm 
5th Horseman

TRDouble wrote:
HalJordanist wrote:
Thanks, guys! I see some squirms from the price, and I haven't seen that info. What are they talking?

$215.00

Wow! That's pricey, but it looks promising!!

Question #1: Do you think there will be enough pre-orders at that price point for them to take it into production?

Question #2: Does Matty charge your card upon pre-order, or do they charge upon shipping, like BBTS?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:40 pm 
5th Horseman

Also, I'm confused. The photos say "Available Aug 15th." That's awfully fast. Matty says the pre-order runs from July to November. Is there a typo in the info somewhere here?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:06 pm 
serves the Otter

Maybe it's August 15, 2014. The pre-order page is already up at Matty by the way...

http://www.mattycollector.com/store/mat ... 1337553509

With the 30th anniversary logo there (the film came out in 1984), that means this probably won't be shipped until next Summer.

I just placed my order for the Ecto-1 plus the newly sculpted Peter and Ray. I guess it's safe to assume the vehicle will only be able to hold 2 figures, which is why they only bothered to resculpt these two. Oh well... I'd be displaying all four standing out in front of it instead.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:36 pm 
We're going streaking!

HalJordanist wrote:
Wow! That's pricey, but it looks promising!!

Question #1: Do you think there will be enough pre-orders at that price point for them to take it into production?

Question #2: Does Matty charge your card upon pre-order, or do they charge upon shipping, like BBTS?

#1, it is hard to say. Castle Greyskull went through, but MOTU has a strong following and a long, successful subscription program. Ghostbusters didn't have enough interest to keep it's subscription going. I'm modestly optimistic because it is an in-scale Ecto-1, but the price might be the deterrent.

That said, I pre-ordered the full package with the figures. After I thought about how much I have spent on Voltron and The Watchmen the last two years, I figure that the Ecto-1 is this years purchase, just in one shot.

#2, like BBTS, Matty will not charge you until they ship.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:20 am 
4" scale

here's how this is gonna go:

if the Ecto-1 fits 4 figures and they also plan to release Winston and egon with removable packs, then I WILL buy this. If it only seats 2 in the front and/or they don't plan on releasing the other 2 guys, then I will not, because if it only seats 2, it's just a fancied-up version of the crappy kenner one.

can someone at the con please ask someone from mattel if all 4 figures will fit inside?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:20 am 
5th Horseman

shishalzafrazz wrote:
can someone at the con please ask someone from mattel if all 4 figures will fit inside?

Second. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:49 am 
Tis' but a pup

Mattel is good at one thing. Holding us hostage with "well its this or nothing" and taking advantage of our collective OCD. :lol: :roll:

I just don't understand why the Batmobile and Windraider are $50, but this is over $200!?!?!
I can't help but laugh considering it cost me less then $10 to convert my 80's one with lights and sounds.
I spent like $60 for the K.I.T.T from Diamond. This thing shouldn't cost more then $100.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:20 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Y'know, I LOVE that Matty finally looked into providing us an Ecto-1 for our Ghostbuster figures, but a couple of things bug me. When they decided to design the thing, why couldn't they simply make it an inch longer so that it could accommodate the figures we already bought instead of forcing us to buy new ones? And as I look at the size of the drawing in relation to the outline of their figures, I really don't see this as much bigger than the Trendmasters Ecto-1 Extreme... which also lit up and had sirens, and was less than a quarter of this $215 price tag.

I get that Mattel is a business, and that they have to make money to keep afloat. But let's not kid ourselves. They could do more to say "thank you" to the customers that have already invested in their products.

I would love to have this, but it's just waaaay to expensive for me. Sorry, Matty. This is a pass.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:02 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I don't have the links, but it's in the Matty forums... The car will hold 4 figures and they will make Winston and Ray with removable packs later on if this goes through.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:30 am 
4" scale

well then I submit my order. I feel like this is less likely to happen than greyskull, but i'd love to see it anyway. and if i'm being honest, i'd rather have a less bells and whistles version for cheaper if that option exists after this one possibly doesn't happen. just having something that fits all four of the guys without a "ghost-catching winch" and a swiveling roof-mounted laser-boy chair would be awesome. I probably wont use the siren noises ever because siren noises are awful. also, I wonder how detailed it'll be under the hood. does the hood just lift or does it raise for a purpose? cause for $215 you better be able to check the damn oil.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:29 pm 
Tis' but a pup

shishalzafrazz wrote:
for $215 you better be able to check the damn oil.

for $215, I except them to polish the $#@^%$ license plate! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:35 am 
5th Horseman

Jim_Abell wrote:
I don't have the links, but it's in the Matty forums... The car will hold 4 figures and they will make Winston and Ray with removable packs later on if this goes through.

Thanks, Jim!!

I love the possibility of all four GBs with removable packs. This Ecto-1 will be the quintessential vehicle. Lights, sounds, detail, and fits all four figures? I'm not one to nitpick price point margins when it comes to iconic pieces like this. I'll pay for it. I just expect to get what I pay for.

I don't have the "money is no object" attitude when it comes to most toy lines. Despite some of Mattel's issues, they've really knocked the MMGB line out of the park, and I'm happy to support it.

It's pricey, but I'm all in on this one. In fact, I'm so stoked about this, I may pre-order two, just to "do my part" to get this puppy made.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:41 am 
serves the Otter

I'm just glad it has until November to reach the goal, unlike the DC sub.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next