Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Batusi: Shut out at SDCC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:14 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Went to Con three days. Thursday-SOLD OUT, Friday-No Figures Available, & Saturday-SOLD OUT by 9:45 AM.

Why didn't they make enough product for the demand? How many were made? 1,000 figures? Why even bother with exclusives anymore?

Thanks Mattel.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Post subject: Re: Batusi: Shut out at SDCC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:49 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

So much for toy guru saying in the video that new product would come in daily. Still, it is meant to be on matty after the con so hopefully you can get one there. Just sucks you'll be stung with postage.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:27 pm 
4" scale

They had it on Friday. It just sold out early. Then again, they also had pre-orders available for all their exclusives. If you knew you were going and wanted them, trying to get them at the Mattel booth was a foolish decision.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:45 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

You should've pre ordered for pick up! But you can still get it on mattycollector in a week or so. You had to get in line first thing in the morning early.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:39 am 
5" Scale

I'll echo Captain Collector, preorder is the way to go. I did this back in 10'(the first year they offered it?) & it can go smoothly if you plan it right. We did our best to get exclusives out of the way by Thursday and finished everything except Matty. Got up early on Friday and picked up my order and still make it to the con no problem. Highly recommend it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:17 am 
4" scale

I actually wish Hasbro would start pre-selling their exclusives. They have the worst distribution and line-management at the entire convention

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:59 am 

Wildcard wrote:
I actually wish Hasbro would start pre-selling their exclusives. They have the worst distribution and line-management at the entire convention

1000% agreed, you are right on the
Money.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:46 pm 
5" Scale

That, and get rid of that damn raffle time to stand in line. Seems you always have carryover from the last time. Were they still doing that this year CC? I actually got in Hasbro's line on Preview Night the last time I attended. It went much smoother that way, getting the big boys out of the way ASAP!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:35 am 

The_Donster wrote:
That, and get rid of that damn raffle time to stand in line. Seems you always have carryover from the last time. Were they still doing that this year CC? I actually got in Hasbro's line on Preview Night the last time I attended. It went much smoother that way, getting the big boys out of the way ASAP!

Yes, and it was even worse this year. They only let like 40-50 in line on preview night, and you had to be outside in line before 5 am to get a raffle ticket for the other days. If you showed up at 9am everyday, the ticket line at the sales pavilion was closed until the following day. It was brutal.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:22 am 
4" scale

I had a ticket to get in the purchase line and they still wouldn't let people in. I ripped up my pass since buying Hasbro exclusives was more of an impulse buy than a want.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:19 pm 
Cold-cast

I had a friend go there for the first time also and all he wanted was boba fett. He tried on all the days even went before 5 am and no luck. They apparently let the wrong people in or something. I even tried online for him suffice to say no luck.

I agree hasbro needs to stop that "look at us, we are the hottest thing at sdcc" attitude and presale for pickup. What i don't get is the exclusives were not that strong this year, yet their was chaos. They also did not repost online periodically as in the past, unless i kept missing it.

Personally, to me a con exclusive is an item that would not be able to be sold at retail because of lack of mass popularity or other features like blood spatter, naked bodies, names like kick ass, marfblooger on packaging, etc. I think they should make a ton of them but offer a preorder for pick up and online shipping so they know how much to make. I think they are loosing a money making opprtunity and we as collectors are loosing patience. If they made more it would cost less too and they would make hard core fans happy.

SDCC has been taken over by posers and scalpers and not the con us geeks used to look forward to as our annual sacred pilgrimage to the geek mecca. Getting items, food, toilets, panels just about everything is a nightmare.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:36 pm 
Displays Backwards

I agree with you Zim. Hasbro makes stuff people want to buy but because they are exclusives they get snatched up and scalped to high heaven. Seems to me they could make more money if they just made more to sell. It feels like Mattel just makes more - or the Hasbro exclusives are just better. A little of both, maybe.

It seems to me like SDCC is a nightmare - I can't imagine how I could possibly enjoy it. Then again, I've never been to any comic con ever - maybe one of these days. I did go to a few baseball card shows way back in the day, but they weren't all that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:06 am 
5" Scale

Well, for what its worth, I like Matty's presale vouchers myself. It ran pretty smooth for me and it would be nice if more companies did this.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:40 am 

The_Donster wrote:
Well, for what its worth, I like Matty's presale vouchers myself. It ran pretty smooth for me and it would be nice if more companies did this.

/\ TRUTH /\

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:25 am 
Cold-cast

Zim wrote:
I agree hasbro needs to stop that "look at us, we are the hottest thing at sdcc" attitude and presale for pickup. What i don't get is the exclusives were not that strong this year, yet their was chaos. They also did not repost online periodically as in the past, unless i kept missing it.

I have to disagree with you on this. I think their exclusives were pretty strong. That Boba Fett you mentioned your friend wanting is excellent. That Ravage with the baroness is absolutely amazing. Metroplex looks pretty cool & I really like those 6 inch Transformers set with Megatron, Prime, etc, even if they don't transform.Hasbro did a great job with their exclusives. Where I feel mattel just came up really short.

I do agree that Hasbro should have a pre order pick up. Seems like a more logical way to do things.