Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: The future of DCUC?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:12 am 
Aspires to be #1

1. It probably my isn't hard to find gremlins...I mean, who's buying those? It doesn't strike me as some super popular thing.

2. Mattel has nothing to do with distribution. They probably should, but their model involves selling the product to stores and that's it. Once that's done, the stores distribute the stuff.

3. JLU and DCUC are dead and dying. Could some things have been better? Yes. Could some figure choices have been better? Yes. Did we get 200 something figures for each line? Yes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:33 am 
5" Scale

#2 is incorrect j1h. Mattel actually has merchandiser that stock the shelves, build features, etc. But that doesn't mean Clayface is right. If the license were to go to NECA or any other smaller company things would go from bad to worse. Don't get me wrong, I love NECA and actually collect the Gears of War line. That being said, they aren't the best at getting product on the shelf in a timely manner and they don't evenly distribute across the country. Something collectors fail to grasp(and I've seen it with numerous lines over the years) is this specific line isn't Mattels bread and butter. DCU is just a drop in the bucket and there are actually other lines that generate more revenue for them. Which I'm sure is more important to them than making a small part of that happy. I think between j1h's #3 point and link to the figures we do have we had a pretty good run compared to most lines these days. So if it ends, it ends.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:39 am 
Aspires to be #1

Well all I've ever heard is that it's up to the stores to distribute the figures out. I know there are reps that check the aisles (and it seems Hasbro is better at this) but actually shipping product to stores is not on Mattel I thought.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:59 am 
Resin

@ j1h
Don't be so naive to things. Just because you may not collect them or care for them doesn't mean there isn't a fan base for something. Neca was going to end the Mogwai/Gremlin line because they didn't think there was enough interest. The customer base spoke up, made a FB page among other things so the line has continued. Unlike mattel who has a customer base that is " loud but not numerous " & can't get enough support for lines to continue. Plus I mentioned I never have a tough time finding them when they are released. Miss out on the release when they first hit retail stores & you're going to have to hunt for them. Because unlike most of mattel's lines they actually do completely sell out.

@Donster

I'm not sure about any other lines from Neca, but I know the Gremlin stuff is distributed pretty well. I have never seen anyone complaining online that these figures didn't make it to their region of the US. Even overseas customers get them in a timely manner. Besides I personally never really said that Neca is the answer to this problem. I just said mattel is not. Their sales tactics are anything but resembling professional & they just need to lose the DC license already.

j1h15233 wrote:
Well all I've ever heard is that it's up to the stores to distribute the figures out. I know there are reps that check the aisles (and it seems Hasbro is better at this) but actually shipping product to stores is not on Mattel I thought.

When mattel keeps sending out the same case asst's to the stores even though there is a new asst just because they don't want to be stuck with the old stuff, that is a problem. That's the exact reason why stores missed complete series with JLU & DCUC. There were asst's in both line that I never even saw at retail. Doesn't really matter if they made 20,000 unique figures for these lines if you can't actually find some of them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:44 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

As someone who collects the occasional Predator, NECA is just as bad as the rest of them sometimes.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:06 pm 
serves the Otter

I was one of the few who endorsed the idea of NECA sub-licensing DC figures, but I never wanted them to take over doing DCUC or other comic-styled figures. I specifically would like them to take on any MOVIE-based license Mattel currently owns. I have no doubt they could offer us an impressive 6" Keaton Batman, Nicholson Joker, or Reeve Superman, as well as a full line of 6" Back to the Future figures or a continuation of the 6" Ghostbusters line.

They do a great job with 6" scale highly-detailed, highly-articulated movie lines and their level of quality for likenesses has vastly improved in the last few years. Just look at their Dutch (Arnold Schwartzenegger) figure in the Predator line or the Hicks and Hudson Colonial Marine figures in their ALIENS line. Any one of those movie lines would only require a minimal number of figures between 1-3 waves to satisfy the demand for any character on our wishlists. It doesn't have to be a vast line of 100+ figures like DCUC.

Mattel has shown zero interest in doing Back to the Future figures, and added insult to injury by producing a hoverboard in that scale which will never have a figure to go with it. So if they are unwilling to produce such figures, along with classic DC film-based figures like the ones mentioned above, then let someone else with a proven record try it instead. Mattel could even partner with them to let NECA sculpt and produce the figures and Mattel distribute them under their brand to split any production costs. That's what Hasbro is doing with its new 6" Star Wars line. Gentle Giant is sculpting the figures for them, and the improvement in quality really shows.

Last edited by shabbyblue on Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:14 pm 
Aspires to be #1

This is all probably a moot point anyway. Action figures are a dying item. Soon enough you'll just print whatever you want.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:49 pm 
Brand Manager

Count me in as one who thinks NECA is all kinds of wonderful. From Kratos to Gears to Predator... some of their figures lines have been truly fantastic. In all honesty, I don't see how this is up for debate. Any card carrying Bat-Fan should've already started collecting their Batman: Dead End Predator figures at least a year ago.

Either way, if Mattel's subscription falls through... and NECA is out of the question for some of you... can we at least ask DC Direct/DC Collectibles to switch back to their original 6.5 inch scale? Or are we supposed to watch Mattel sit on the ball and do nothing for the next two years?

http://kastorskorner.com/wp/2013/01/14/ ... e-big-red/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:44 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Oh, they'll still make stuff. It just won't be the kind of stuff we collectors have been used to the past several years.

I fear it'll be more and more like that with Hasbro as well in the upcoming years. :(

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:48 am 
3 3/4"

If Toybiz could have gotten both Dc and Marvel back in 99/00 we would never have to worry about this mess.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:30 pm 
Knows his stuff

Let's not let DC Comics/Entertainment off the hook.