Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How much impact do you think the DCnU has had on retail?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:53 am 
declined to be a vampire

Obviously about the time waves 15 and 16 hit of DCUC, we had one of the most successful lines of action figures ever, but...

With Mattel supposedly saying they have to plan out in advance, how much of that impact the last several waves we saw, and how much of the DCnU maybe negatively impacted the retail market?

Thoughts?

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

Post subject: Re: How much impact do you think the DCnU has had on retail?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:13 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

All I know is these suffered from the same distribution problems as the JLU and I have only seen the figure 5 times in the last however many years in Chesterfield Virginia. I found a Green Arrow once on clearance that someone must have returned from somewhere else because they never got a single figure from that wave or any other at this particular Target. And then I saw a few at a Walmart one night, Zatanna and Jungle Boy with the ripped off blue jean shorts, whats his name Kamandi or something?

Other than that I haven't seen these anywhere local.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:59 am 
Displays Backwards

I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Are you just complaining about the New 52?

Or are you complaining about the Blackest Night figures, too? They were a big success for DC Direct, but I felt like Mattel doing them as well would not be as successful because DC Direct had already made them - and that seemed to be the case.

So are you just picking at old scabs again or what?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:29 am 
Collector Inspector

Maybe some day there will be a tell-all memoir and we'll know how everything went down.

I'm no expert on this subject, but it seems like the retail market's needs changed, and Warner Bros/DC's needs changed and Mattel was caught in the middle. I think.

You're right, things seemed to groove along really nicely for 16 waves. Each new wave was exciting. We used to get really fun variants, C+C figures came with weapons/accessories, and we used to get crazy uniquely-shaped and tooled figures like Man-bat, Etrigan, Orion, Parademon, Jonah Hex, Ares, etc. For the last 4 waves, they seemed to be phoning it in, in some ways.

I don't know how to attribute it to the NEW 52. I don't have a huge beef with it. I'm mostly negative, but I just sort of shrug it off and save my money. I found and passed on the Hawkman for 11.00 at Target, which is pretty crazy because it was one of the nicer figures.

I'm just as snippy at Target, Walmart, etc. as I am at The New52 and Mattel, since I think there's some back and forth collaboration and input on what gets made and bought and sold on the shelves. They want inferior New52 figures for $9.99 on their shelves? Great, guys, you got it. Good luck with those because I'm not going to help out with that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:46 am 
declined to be a vampire

BCYa wrote:
I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Are you just complaining about the New 52?

Or are you complaining about the Blackest Night figures, too? They were a big success for DC Direct, but I felt like Mattel doing them as well would not be as successful because DC Direct had already made them - and that seemed to be the case.

So are you just picking at old scabs again or what?

Not at all. I didn't mind the rainbow DCUC figures, and I don't have an issue with the DCnU.

But with all the changes that were happening at DC, and the fact that around that time we were 15-16 waves into DCUC and they have to plan ahead, do you think it's possible that maybe inadvertently, the DCnU kind of killed DCUC?

I think at that point the DCUC line had started to run it's course, but it seems to me that it either would've just ended, or the DCnU would've been a doorway to re-energize the line. So I'm just wondering what impact the DCnU had on the DCUC line.

Sidenote: It's a message board, so even if I was picking at old scabs what does it matter?

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:56 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I think you might have a point. Mattel was clearly got off guard by the new 52, and I bet many of the figures we got in last years sub were originally intended for retail.
It's too bad they couldn't continue on while sprinkling in the new 52 big guns. That might have kept the line going, but a lot of people would have complained.

As usual. :wink:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:58 am 
declined to be a vampire

Shellhead wrote:
I think you might have a point. Mattel was clearly got off guard by the new 52, and I bet many of the figures we got in last years sub were originally intended for retail.
It's too bad they couldn't continue on while sprinkling in the new 52 big guns. That might have kept the line going, but a lot of people would have complained.

As usual. :wink:

Yeah, they seemed surprised. I'm just wondering what the DCUC would look like (if it were even still around) had the DCnU not happened.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:18 pm 
serves the Otter

GeekVarietyDotCom wrote:
All I know is these suffered from the same distribution problems as the JLU

No it didn't. JLU was exclusive to Target stores at the end of it's run. That was the ONLY place you get it.

DCUC was always available for pre-order online through BBTS, Entertainment Earth, and other e-tailers. I was able to easily get every single wave up the end of the line that way without ever once having to visit local stores (with the exception of the Walmart exclusive waves). Yes, I had to pay a little more for shipping, but it was totally worth it to just pre-order an entire wave thru BBTS than to hassle with daily or weekly store hunts as I did with JLU.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:39 pm 
3 3/4"

I think we would have gotten most of the same stories from Court of Owls to Aquaman kicking ass. 52 was a cheap gimmick to make a buck and it worked in the short term. Batman,Green Lantern and Aquaman were gold others were ok.But god did they fudge up Teen Titains.Star

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:01 pm 
shirtless hugger

I would add Wonder Woman to your list of New 52 successes, but yes; the Teen Titans are beyond all hope.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:48 pm 
3 3/4"

Most of the costumes sucks.High collars like its 1986.Marvel at least had the right idea to make a seperate universe for the Ulltimate line

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:47 am 
ABS

Zero impact.

The Green Lantern movie had the biggest impact & I think Mattel has been reeling from it ever since, and perhaps are just starting to recover from that debacle.

I'd like to know how the Superman toys are performing actually.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:12 pm 
3 3/4"

Matty did a reverse GL all the secondary people are hard to find while the Title character is everywhere

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:45 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

While the smaller stuff is clogging up the pegs, I think they got the MM numbers just about right. There's always a few on the pegs, but no where near the overwhelming numbers MM GL got.
I've seen everybody except Faora at retail (including the newer shackled Zod and Black Suit Superman), and Faora was sent to me by an upstanding member of the board.
So, all in all, no too shabby.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:56 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Shellhead wrote:
upstanding .

Theres a word I rarely ever get called.. :lol: