Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: How much impact do you think the DCnU has had on retail?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:05 am 
Brand Manager

I think the GL movie hurt ALOT ! I mean the Parallax design was changed and Mattel has no control over that. But I did feel ...... odd when 17, 18,19, and 20 hit. I feel like 19 was them throwing us a bone I liked wave 20 but man it was phoned in, Zoom gets a weapon but not Nekron ?

Post subject: Re: How much impact do you think the DCnU has had on retail?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:40 pm 
Damage Control

Blame the formation of DC Entertainment in September 2009. They fired many of the staff at DC Direct and scrapped some of the proposed figures.
February 2010 Geoff Johns becomes Chief Creative Director at DC Entertainment.

By then Mattel probably had the DCUC figures pretty much planned for 2010 and part of 2011.
With the Green Lantern movie coming, I'm sure that DC Entertainment pushed for the Green Lantern Movie Masters and the Green Lantern Classics to hit in late 2010 and early 2011. By now you can see the Geoff Johns influence on the character selection of DCUC.
June 2011 - DCUC Wave 17 - The multi-colored lanterns. (based on comics by Geoff Johns)
July-August 2011 - DCUC Wave 18 - Super Powers themed, plus Captain Boomerang (Geoff Johns writing Flash, Brightest Day)
September 2011 - DCUC Wave 19 - JSA themed wave. (Geoff Johns wrote JSA and created Stargirl)
January 2012 - DCUC Wave 20 - a mix of fan requested figures. (Half of which were from comics Geoff Johns wrote.)

June 2011 DC Comics announces the reboot of the DC Universe with 52 new #1 titles which become know as the "NEW 52" beginning in September 2011. I am sure that DC Comics/ DC Entertainment shared the new costume designs with Mattel.

July 2011 Mattel announces the 2012 Club Infinite Earths Subscriptions for "classic DC Characters". Probably knowing at this time that DC Entertainment wants the NEW 52 costumes to be the focus at retail.

August 2012 - DCUC Wave 21 All Stars - first NEW 52 designs of Superman and Batman, Superboy Prime (from comics by Geoff Johns)
October 2012 - DCUC TRU 2-pack - Yellow Hal Jordan and Blue Kyle Rayner, (more characters written by Geoff Johns)

DCUC is CANCELLED and no longer available at retail - except for peg warmers from Waves 17, 18, 19, 20, 21

DC Unlimited figures come to retail now focused on NEW 52 Justice League characters. (from comics by Geoff Johns)