Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: DC Universe Club Infinite Earths...does it survive for 2
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:12 am 
Aspires to be #1

red Ricky wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:
Finally an update and only 51%. Not looking too good.

They can still extend the sign up period and even announce there won't be any day-of-sale figures for Damian. FYI, not being snarky. Just extrapolating what happened when the sub failed to meet that Tier 1 requirement two years ago, with what they just did with Two-Bad.

I just don't think that's an enticing carrot. You can always go to ebay, BBTS, amazon or a million other places and find a figure that's sub only. I guess if it brings in even one person who wasn't going to sub then it's worth it but its not the only way a figure like that will be bought.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:23 am 
Brand Manager

Totally agree. Plus, as seen with Fisto, limited production runs also hurt subscribers. From what I recall, there ended up being almost no customer support stock for defective figures and no early access for subscribers who wanted to buy an extra figure to keep MoC.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:37 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

red Ricky wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:
Finally an update and only 51%. Not looking too good.

They can still extend the sign up period and even announce there won't be any day-of-sale figures for Damian. FYI, not being snarky. Just extrapolating what happened when the sub failed to meet that Tier 1 requirement two years ago, with what they just did with Two-Bad.

It has already been stated that the subscription period cannot be extended this year for DC.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:47 am 
4" scale

Superpowers1980 wrote:
The problem with getting people to sub for this line is in with the price increase which is absurd considering it is direct to consumer.

It's not a mass-market line. It's economics -> lower quantities = higher prices. The cost of the tools are the same whether it's a mass market line or exclusives such as these. But since they are selling significantly less than what Star Wars Black or a similar line makes, they have to have higher prices to make the cost of producing the figures make business sense.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:58 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Sshhh. Don't try to be rational and teach economics. You'll be accused of being a lousy apologist for corporations.

:roll:

Sad to say, I think it's toast. It had a nice run. . .

Hope I'm wrong.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:24 am 
declined to be a vampire

I think maybe some time off would be a great thing.

No one likes to see a line end, but maybe (as has been stated here multiple times) saturation has sunk in.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:02 pm 
Collector Inspector

Old, pervy tmi post but...

Superboy...
I try not to find fiction cartoon/comic book characters "hot" or attractive.
But back when they changed Superboy's outfit to the black tshirt and jeans, there were a few pics that made me say "d@m!".
This figure has none of that.

I think its the face, and I don't know how else to put this...
but Superboy looks more like guido than anything. Nothing like a young Superman.

Granted, I do not collect 6in stuff so I have no dogs in the race or voice about this DCIE thing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:35 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

DrGreenEvil wrote:

Superboy...
But back when they changed Superboy's outfit to the black tshirt and jeans, there were a few pics that made me say "d@m!".

but Superboy looks more like guido than anything. Nothing like a young Superman.

Granted, I do not collect 6in stuff so I have no dogs in the race or voice about this DCIE thing.

Your right about the face being "off model". The head sculpt should be inbetween the one on the leather jacket version and the adult version. Heck if they had reused the existing teen Superboy head sculpt but just redone the hair that would've been fine, infact that's probably what I'll end up doing if these get made. (I'll also be swapping the waist and upper legs out with the legs from captain cold to gt the height correct). They said In one of the posts that they guy who sculpted this face also did matter eater lad, and it shows. Definitely not what I'd expect Superboy to look like. Face sculpts are where the detail needs to be when your reusing buck bodies, and the accuracy/quality does seem to have lapsed of late.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:36 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

DrGreenEvil wrote:

Superboy...

Your right about the face being "off model". The head sculpt should be inbetween the one on the leather jacket version and the adult version. Heck if they had reused the existing teen Superboy head sculpt but just redone the hair that would've been fine, infact that's probably what I'll end up doing if these get made. (I'll also be swapping the waist and upper legs out with the legs from captain cold to gt the height correct). They said In one of the posts that they guy who sculpted this face also did matter eater lad, and it shows. Definitely not what I'd expect Superboy to look like. Face sculpts are where the detail needs to be when your reusing buck bodies, and the accuracy/quality does seem to have lapsed of late.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:01 pm 
ABS

Wildcard wrote:
Superpowers1980 wrote:
The problem with getting people to sub for this line is in with the price increase which is absurd considering it is direct to consumer.

It's not a mass-market line. It's economics -> lower quantities = higher prices. The cost of the tools are the same whether it's a mass market line or exclusives such as these. But since they are selling significantly less than what Star Wars Black or a similar line makes, they have to have higher prices to make the cost of producing the figures make business sense.

I understand economics, but what you fail to realize is that in order for retailers to of sold figures for 15.00 then they had to pay a considerable amount less than 15.00. Now that the middle man is not there and Matty sells directly + your explanation an 18.00 figure is plausible. 20.00 is too much, especially considering DC has a larger fan base than MOTUC. The price hike in today's economy is for these figures is not reasonable, or at least where they are for 2014. It still probably cost Mattel less than a dollar to produce per figure and a steady price of 18.00 is a decent profit instead of 20.00, plus they are probably getting insane cheap shipping from digital river which is why they keep them around.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:06 pm 
Aspires to be #1

I wonder if they'll bother updating the totals again today or just leave them where they are.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:10 pm 
serves the Otter

j1h15233 wrote:
I wonder if they'll bother updating the totals again today or just leave them where they are.

I suspect the 39% to 51% jump over the weekend was mostly due to BBTS or other e-tailers placing their orders rather than individual subscribers jumping on at the last minute. I think it's safe to say at this point that the sub is dead. It's not going to gain another 50% within the few remaining hours. :(

However, I'm somewhat amused that MOTUC hasn't hit its goal yet with only a few hours left. It's at 84% after the weekend jump, so can it really secure another 16% in these last hours? Sorry to those who are rooting for the He-Man sub to suceed, but I'm going to laugh if it ends up failing too. It has always been the flagship collector line that DCUC and JLU has taken a backseat to on Mattycollector.com, with some resentment from myself and others. So if it really does fail, Mattycollector.com is going to look pretty pathetic next year with no more collector lines to sell. :)

Last edited by shabbyblue on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:12 pm 
ABS

Shellhead wrote:
Sshhh. Don't try to be rational and teach economics. You'll be accused of being a lousy apologist for corporations.

:roll:

Sad to say, I think it's toast. It had a nice run. . .

Hope I'm wrong.

I have a degree in business so I understand rationality and economics. What you fail to realize is that even in today's production climate it still probably cost Mattel less than a dollar to make a single figure. If production/shipping were half the cost of a single figure and with the supposed low sales then the line would of failed years ago. The profit margins would be too low to maintain if the figures production were half the price. A 20.00 figure is not economical for Mattel UNLESS a portion of the profit goes to overhead which I doubt. Considering the volume of figures sold loose from China there is no way that type of gross illegal activity could go on if they were truly hurting. Someone is paying for the plastic and the production of figures, if they aren't sold by Mattel, Mattel still pays the bill.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:22 pm 
An Insider

I have a question: how much is your credit card initially charged when you purchase a sub? I'm thinking about getting the quarterly but when I go to checkout the total is $111. If that charge were to show up on my card right now my wife would have a cow.
I thought it would only be $35 for the sub but it's listing the sub fee, 3-4 figures, and shipping.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:25 pm 
Aspires to be #1

zaxilla2 wrote:
I have a question: how much is your credit card initially charged when you purchase a sub? I'm thinking about getting the quarterly but when I go to checkout the total is $111. If that charge were to show up on my card right now my wife would have a cow.
I thought it would only be $35 for the sub but it's listing the sub fee, 3-4 figures, and shipping.

It'll just be 35. The other charges drop off until its time to actually pay for them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 47  Next