Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 615 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mattel Adam West/1966 Batman line thread
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:13 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

I am very disappointed to learn that this line will not be continuing. I have the two-pack, and am impressed with it, and I certainly want the villains.

But why scrap it so quickly? What's the reason?

Certainly it can't be lack of popularity. The series runs every Saturday on MeTV, and DC just started a comic book based on it!

I'm pleased to hear that it's showing up at Walmart as well as TRU (it's certainly not at my Walmart yet...), but I lament the fact that it will be so short-lived.

There is really so little of any interest in the action figure world anymore. So much just seems to have vanished. It's depressing, it really is.

I urgently need work: Experienced writer/photographer/typist/data entry, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:25 am 
Hat Pooper

Trekker odds are likeness rights.From what I hear CBS and WB are very close to getting the Dvd rights done

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:37 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Ashxking wrote:
CBS and WB are very close to getting the Dvd rights done

Which is all the more reason why Mattel should continue the line, at least whenever the tv series comes to DVD/bluray. It's almost like a toy line that ties in with a movie release, along with the new comic book and other related 66 Batman toy lines other companies are currently producing. It's great cross-promotion they should take advantage of when the time comes. I can't believe they'd squash the prospect of producing more figures before the line has even had a chance to hit retail and prove itself through sales numbers. The least they could do is give us a Batman and Robin with plastic sculpted capes. It would require minimal new tooling since 80% of the figure is the same one we have already!

It pisses me off that they are potentially going to sit on yet another license and refuse to produce more toys for it as they have done with Ghostbusters and Back to the Future. If they're unwilling to do more 1966 Batman toys in the 6" scale, then let another company do it. Same goes for BTTF and GB.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:56 am 
Aspires to be #1

I think they just need to do Batgirl and maybe Commish Gordon and Ohara. No one else from the show is going to sell.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:03 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

j1h15233 wrote:
I think they just need to do Batgirl and maybe Commish Gordon and Ohara. No one else from the show is going to sell.

Batman and Robin with plastic sculpted capes would sell really well, and they'd be the perfect anchors for a 2nd wave of figures. The current soft goods capes look like crap on them. Cheap, thin, flimsy fabric. :(

The only time these look good is when they are sitting in the Batmobile (which is why they were given soft goods in the first place), but we need plastic cape versions to pose standing up with the other figures in the line.

What annoys me is that Mattel devoted tooling costs to that stupid Surfer Batman, who has brand new legs and a pelvic joint to give him the swim trunks, on top of the big hunk of plastic that is the surfboard itself. He's going to be a massive pegwarmer when he ships to stores. But apparently Mattel isn't going to bother giving us plastic cape variants of Batman and Robin, which is a much more important variant than the stupid "Surfs Up Batman". The single carded Batman should have had a plastic cape since the 2-pack version already had soft goods, and there should have been a single carded plastic cape Robin released in place of Surfer Batman. :(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:36 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

Totally agree on the plastic cape variants, been requesting that since these were announced. Lets hop someone at Mattel wakes up one morning with a moment of clarity and makes these happen!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:01 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

While I'm personally a fan of soft goods, I completely agree that 1:1 plastic cape variants would help the line OR anchor a second wave nicely.

Surf's Up Batman without a corresponding Joker makes ZERO sense.

FWIW, I finally saw these on the shelf in West Michigan today. Single Batman, Penguin, 2-packs, and no Batmobiles that I could see. Unfortunately, all the 2-packs were gray-legs Robin, so I didn't see anything I didn't already have. These figures were priced at $19.95 at my local TRU. That seems steep to me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:08 pm 
Aspires to be #1

They were 19.99 when I saw them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:09 am 
PVC

I don't know, I am happy with everything Mattel has done so far with this line. Unlike other lines they have massive competition with the license, NECA, Hot Toys, and others. Not to mention the cost for all of the character likenesses. I never expected to see the 66 Batman and Robin in toy form let alone the four major villains and a Batmobile. Sure I want more but I am content enough. The only other essential is Batgirl but even then I am not that pressed for her. I could also do with a Riddler variant with hat and coat and Mr Freeze. Also I could care less about plastic capes, especially the ones that are wind blown to one side...THAT MAKES ME ANGRY. I am happy so with these and just thankful to have them at all. The only other thing I could do with is some thungs in brightly colored striped shirts and those typical hats. I do feel for Mattel in this case, they would stand to lose a lot of money if these figures didn't sell.

You know what would be cool but would never happen, what if they did some 66 Batman version of characters that didn't appear on the show like Two-Face, Poison Ivy, Clayface, Bane. Bane would be cool, in a street tough type of outfit but with a mask and chemical hose to a wrist attachment.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:51 am 
Tis' but a pup

Since we bought them, we figured why not review 'em... So the first of our Mattel Classic TV Series 6" Batman Figure reviews is now up...

Head on over and match wits with the quarrelsome quizmaster- The Riddler! http://www.actionfeatures.net/2013/08/toy-talk-review-mattel-batman-classic.html

-Sallah

http://www.youtube.com/motuclassics *Latest Review- Hot Toys 1/6th Scale Batmobile!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:02 am 
Tis' but a pup

...followed by that feathered fiend, The Penguin!

More pics and our video review here:

http://www.actionfeatures.net/2013/08/toy-talk-review-mattel-batman-classic_19.html

-Sallah

http://www.youtube.com/motuclassics *Latest Review- Hot Toys 1/6th Scale Batmobile!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:14 am 
serves the Otter

shabbyblue wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:

Batman and Robin with plastic sculpted capes would sell really well, and they'd be the perfect anchors for a 2nd wave of figures.

The line was pronounced dead before it got to the shelves, so you have to wonder who's really pulling the strings. Clearly it's not a matter of character selection, capes, or who sells. Someone, somewhere must have decided two waves and a Batmobile were plenty and that's all she wrote.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:06 am 
Tis' but a pup

We return to the Batcave today to finish off our reviews of the 3 currently available Mattel 6" Classic Batman TV Series Figures! We saved the best for last... Batman!

Around 30 pics and our video review here: http://www.actionfeatures.net/2013/08/toy-talk-review-mattel-batman-classic_20.html

Sallah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:45 pm 
shirtless hugger

TrekkerGI wrote:
I am very disappointed to learn that this line will not be continuing. I have the two-pack, and am impressed with it, and I certainly want the villains.

But why scrap it so quickly? What's the reason?

Certainly it can't be lack of popularity. The series runs every Saturday on MeTV, and DC just started a comic book based on it!

I'm pleased to hear that it's showing up at Walmart as well as TRU (it's certainly not at my Walmart yet...), but I lament the fact that it will be so short-lived.

There is really so little of any interest in the action figure world anymore. So much just seems to have vanished. It's depressing, it really is.

So I have not seen them yet and already the line is canceled? Thanks Mattel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:16 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

This line is NOT cancelled! The first wave, the Batmobile, and the 2 pack are hitting store shelves now. Series 2 is coming in the fall (BBTS has Surfs up Batman & Joker in stick now, Catwoman later).
There probably won't be any more retail extension after wave 2 according to Mattel, but we could still easily get more as exclusives. The line will continue to ship as long as it sells.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 615 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 41  Next