Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: DC Universe Club Infinite Earths...does it survive for 2
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:40 am 
shirtless hugger

elvis8batman wrote:
There clearly is still a large fan base of people wanting DCUC styled 4H sculpted figures. I brought subs each year and even broke with my own limits and brought two this year just because I wanted to try and help it go through.

I think Mattel, DC Entertainment and WB need to sit down and consider where they're going from here on in.

I hope we see the revealed figures from the sub make it out. Especially the unleashed Doomsday (although I'd like both versions).

It would be great if in a years time, Mattel decide to rebrand DCUC at retail, following the DC Superheroes plan with the line being led by Batman and Superman, with peppered in supporting characters from the DC Universe. There really aren't many characters that haven't come into contact with those two so any classic character could feasibly be included in the waves.

If Mattel no longer wish to continue, then I would like to see DCC take over and continue the line with the exact scale and articulation of DCUC and create a DC Collectibles Classics line. Re-create the bucks from DCUC and either hire the 4H or get sculptors that can mimic the design of the line so far.

There are still far too many characters and versions of characters that are yet to be made to fill out the line.

I appreciate that you bought two subscriptions; I did too! But in the end, there were not enough other collectors who were willing to subscribe. The line sputtered out at retail, and the direct-to-consumer sales strategy didn't work either. The fan base is just too small at this point.

It would be great if another toymaker took over, but retailers have already balked at carrying the line. There's no outlet anymore. Besides, toy companies want to create new, successful lines, not take over dying ones.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:32 am 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

At the same time, 6" Marvel Legends has died and come back itself, sometimes as retailer exclusives. And now Amazon is getting Hasbro exclusives, so they are a new potential exclusive outlet. While every toy company wants a new, hot line, that isn't so easy to do, and they won't mind making profit off of a "dying" toy line if they can. I don't know if retailers are all balking at any iteration of 6" DC figures. TRU certainly isn't, and Walmart is still carrying the DC Unlimited in their new reset. Also, remember how well the exclusive 2-packs with Azrael and Kyle Rayner sold last year at TRU. They all seem to be sold out now and they weren't clearanced.

Maybe 2-packs are the best way to get out the announced figures, and potentially more if they do well enough. Mattel could pair one of the new figures with another figure that is strictly a repaint with no new molding to cut costs. They could put a translucent Fire with Ice. Super Powers Superman in light blue would go great with Doomsday.

I also noticed DC Comics is coming out with a new crossover comic for DC and MOTU, so maybe that could result in some new DCU/MOTUC 2-packs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:26 pm 
Cold-cast

MoMoney wrote:
The guaranteed sales aren't there for Mattel, and since MattyCollector takes line time away from producing products that actually make material money for the company, I understand why they need a solid number to present to management. I'm actually relieved that this is over.

I think that's the whole problem with Mattycollector in a nutshell. It is not a profit generator. And it's not operated in a way to make it one. It seems fans want it to be another Amazon, but I don't think it was ever intended to be anything other than niche. That I believe is the heart of the problems people have with Matty. Fans hear Scott complain about it being easier to just make Barbies, and then go there to try to buy product only to see "sold out". Then Scott complains about slow sell outs and fans pull out their hair. It's either exclusive niche product or it's not. And you either pay higher prices for said product or you do without. Both fans AND Matty are trying to have it both ways, and it's failing miserably with MoTU on it's last legs. That's how I see it anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:52 pm 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

There's just no way the MOTUC line and the word "failure" can be used in the same sentence. What other action figure line during the last 4 years has been as comprehensive in its character selection, produced very little "filler" like repaints and variants, come out on a very consistent and predictable schedule, delivered toys right to your door, guaranteed nothing you want will sell out before you get it, and been largely directed to what collectors want? It's anything but a failure, it's a model that both companies and collectors should be encouraging for more toy lines. When retail is taken out of the equation, it's so much easier to produce what collectors want in a figure line.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:23 pm 
declined to be a vampire

I had completely forgotten about Vandal Savage. I want him as a six inch figure. Dang it.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:43 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

JediJones wrote:
Also, remember how well the exclusive 2-packs with Azrael and Kyle Rayner sold last year at TRU. They all seem to be sold out now and they weren't clearanced.

They may not have hit clearance at TRU but my sets came from a board member who got them for $15 each at a closeout store.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:30 pm 
serves the Otter

Jim_Abell wrote:
JediJones wrote:
Also, remember how well the exclusive 2-packs with Azrael and Kyle Rayner sold last year at TRU. They all seem to be sold out now and they weren't clearanced.

They may not have hit clearance at TRU but my sets came from a board member who got them for $15 each at a closeout store.

They barely hit any TRU store. They were more abundant in the Canada TRU stores than any in the US when they first hit, and I think Canada was the first place to get them. Most of us who eventually managed to get them here in the US just found them at ROSS stores earlier this year (or Ebay from scalpers who grabbed them all up from ROSS stores). I still have an extra Kyle/Hal 2pack from my ROSS find. Will probably trade it eventually.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:23 am 
PVC

just got an email from Matty:

"We are unable to complete your order due to an authorization failure from your bank when attempting to charge the credit card used to place your order. For this reason, your order has been cancelled."

Called and found out it was the 2014 sub got cancel, and it will be refund back to my card shortly. Nothing to do with my cc.

- Talos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:52 am 
Resin

I filed a claim with my CC company when the sub was cancelled & got credited back instantly last week from CC company. I just figured that I will let my CC company fight with mattel to get their money back. I don't have time to play anymore games with mettel.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:27 am 
Damage Control

I got the same email from MattyCollector, only I received the email 4 times in my inbox.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:29 am 
declined to be a vampire

Jim_Abell wrote:
JediJones wrote:

Most of those newer two packs are dirt cheap on amazon. If you have prime it's free shipping.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:23 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

joeace wrote:
I got the same email from MattyCollector, only I received the email 4 times in my inbox.

Same here, except it went to spam and I just happened to notice it. Ultimately, the card isn't charged, but is it that hard to adjust it so there's one message that doesn't sound like your card is denied. It's this bush league nonsense that lead us to doomed subscriptions in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:38 pm 
Aspires to be #1

I got 4 emails about this and I didn't even buy a sub. Good job DR!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:28 am 
active in the community

talosman wrote:
just got an email from Matty:

"We are unable to complete your order due to an authorization failure from your bank when attempting to charge the credit card used to place your order. For this reason, your order has been cancelled."

Called and found out it was the 2014 sub got cancel, and it will be refund back to my card shortly. Nothing to do with my cc.

- Talos

matty putting the blame elsewhere yet again. so shoddy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:10 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Yeah, I got this too. It's weirdly written. Hopefully it doesn't affect my order of the MOTUC sub which went through.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 47  Next