Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Post-JLU/DCAU Toyline Discussion
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:43 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

I love Bruce TImm art-- I loved the JLU figure line (even with all its problems)-- My collection is complete (other than MHO - pointless variants)-- but its just 1/100 of my collection so it is what it is-- there will always be something else..
I dont do customs (as thats a slippery slope )-- Although I always want more-- as long as I always get all the figures shown (prototype stage included)-- for a line-- I have no problems with it ending.. At least we as JLU collectors got that-- I havent got closure with most of my other animated lines in that fashion. -- Still missing Hepzibah, Warpath and Kraven for SHS, Gentleman Ghost, Dr. Polaris for (B&the Bold), No Alloy or Alternate Universe (Action league), No Wave 2 of Darkwing Duck, No Wildcat from Tale Spin-and it looks like Ben 10 may head down this path as well...- there are much bigger let downs out there for me than what we got in JLU (although I still want a Roxy Rocket, DeeDees and Curare)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:43 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

I don't miss JLU at all. Now that I look back All the hassles & headaches with the line weren't
really worth it to me.

To pay the prices for those figures at retail towards the end was outrageous. I mean $9.99 for
a small figure with 5 points of articulation, a buck that's already been used on 100's
of other figures, all details painted on instead of sculpted, & made out of the cheapest
possible plastic ( more like rubber ) on the face of the planet. It was all really ridiculous
towards the end. Had the line kept going, I would have never stopped buying it.
But now that it's over, I really don't miss dealing with mattel. I guess that's why I don't
miss it. Because I don't have to put up with all the BS from mattel & still have to give them my
money. It was like being in an abusive relationship that you just couldn't get out of for years.

It's just fun now finding cheap figures at the discount stores that mattel is dumping or on ebay
to customize. Now that it's over, I can make customs knowing that I will not see the figure at retail
in 6 months. My figures are done right anyway with actual sculpted on details like sleeves, badges,
belts, etc. Plus they are the correct size unlike mattel's figures, Bane, Atom Smasher for example. Just
because mattel was too cheap to make a new buck.

Then there's also work in correcting mattel's mistakes on just about every figure they made.

This is just a small representation of the stuff that I have made. Since the line ended I started making
customs. I wasn't doing that when the line was being produced. The line ending was a good thing IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:12 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

I post it here when I reach a milestone, but with all the other plugs I'll do it here too. Go to the Wiki. Seriously. Where else are you going to find over 12000 customs.

http://jlucustoms.wikia.com/wiki/JLU_Customs_Wiki

Having said that, it's not really over for me. I'm still making customs in JLU scale, and actually the end of the "official" line freed me up to do that even more. Now I don't have to worry that a custom version I've done will be released the next week by Mattel.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:10 am 
Collector Inspector

I do miss the thrill of hearing a new JLU wave or pack or whatever was going on sale. But although my customizing work has been pushed to the back burner lately, I still have an insane To Do List for figures and diorama/playset ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:33 am 
serves the Otter

xrmc20 wrote:
--JLUhateritis--

Ha! :P

jamiwa3 wrote:
...and it's always good to read a good red Ricky rant.

I do it for the fans!!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:48 am 
Aspires to be #1

xrmc20 wrote:
Lots of cool collection pics, and neat customs, in this thread. Nice work everyone.

Good thing Shellhead had one more opportunity to let everyone know he doesn't like this toyline (note the title of the thread = "Toyline Discussion").

I know I can't get enough of that. (I shouldn't bring it up, since it's a mental condition--JLUhateritis--and he can't help himself, but maybe he'll get back on his meds.)

There's a lot of cool and awesome customs in my picture if you can spot them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:41 am 

Yeah, Bryan Long just posted a bunch of his customs too J1. Almost every one of them was sculpted by one of the Custom Justice guys. And I know you've kept some of the guys there busy too.

We're carrying on where Mattel dropped the ball. :D

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:56 am 
Aspires to be #1

texgnome1 wrote:
Yeah, Bryan Long just posted a bunch of his customs too J1. Almost every one of them was sculpted by one of the Custom Justice guys. And I know you've kept some of the guys there busy too.

We're carrying on where Mattel dropped the ball. :D

I have 23 in my picture alone and another 4 that aren't pictured because they need some super glue work.

Not to mention the hundreds more I'd like to buy in my head.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:17 am 

Yeah J1 lots of good ones there. Especially behind your Legion four pack hahahahahaha....

And I hope I have pics of all the ones you have there. Some are hard to see.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:11 pm 
Dog Squeezer

Hey Angel,
How much to commission in making a KAI-RO?
Yours looks GREAT!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:53 pm 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Asiatic Prince wrote:
Hey Angel,
How much to commission in making a KAI-RO?
Yours looks GREAT!!!

TheGuff made him out of one of my Ben-10s.

AFi Positive Feedback: +198

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:41 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I think I've probably going to have the strangest post in the thread, stick with me it *is* on topic...

Some of you may have recently seen a viral video called Bar Bar Bar (빠빠빠) by a K-Pop group called Crayon Pop. Their first video was for a song called "Saturday Night" which came out a little over a year ago, now I saw this just after it was released and never saw the item in question back then but it's there plain as day now... Set the playback to 1080p and put it in full screen mode. Watch the member named Ellin (she's the second from the right in the blue and gold sequined top when the video starts) and pay close attention to what is hanging around her neck (you can see it best beginning at the 2:37 mark)...

Here's a translated interview from around the same time, go to the 9:25 mark for the "important" part (it's visible throughout the interview, but that's the point where she holds it up for the camera)...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:15 pm 
shirtless hugger

So the Chinese eBay JLU sellers are supplying ... necklace manufacturers? Man, if anybody starts sporting a Volcana, things are gonna get ugly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:59 am 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

Ha! That's great. Of course that should be a necklace.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:22 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

I just fell in love with the girl with that necklace! And Yes, they are all in their 20's! lol I will send her one of my customs to wear around her neck!

That one girl in the interview vid is like " this is our kangaroo " It looks more like a rabbit to me? lol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next