Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Ideas? What's next for DCUC?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:37 am 
Aspires to be #1

Surely you guys realize that any form of figures that go to retail now will be New 52. Are you really going to buy that? Action figures based on what we all knew the DCU to be are probably dead until/if they return to their roots over at DC.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:26 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

While we may get the occasional "classic" version now and then, I concur with the above sentiment. DCUC's toast. If we are lucky, we'll get Ice, Aquaman, and Superboy. Beyond that, I'll be shocked if we get anything.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:48 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

What I don't get is that every 'new' line or concept they come out with is untested and uses up loads of money in R&D and new tooling, only to be a roll of the dice. If these new lines they choose to put out fail, then all that new investment is for nothing. But DCUC has a base, surely, even if it just gets rebranded each year or so just to make the retail buyers think they are getting a new line, that would be better than throwing money at a new gimmick line that only lasts a year if lucky. A mix that includes some NU52 and classics that can deceive (for want of a better word) retail to buy in makes sense. I just think that to quit pushing these style of figures when there is still a strong fan base is backwards thinking.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:29 pm 
serves the Otter

elvis8batman wrote:
What I don't get is that every 'new' line or concept they come out with is untested and uses up loads of money in R&D and new tooling, only to be a roll of the dice. If these new lines they choose to put out fail, then all that new investment is for nothing. But DCUC has a base, surely, even if it just gets rebranded each year or so just to make the retail buyers think they are getting a new line, that would be better than throwing money at a new gimmick line that only lasts a year if lucky. A mix that includes some NU52 and classics that can deceive (for want of a better word) retail to buy in makes sense. I just think that to quit pushing these style of figures when there is still a strong fan base is backwards thinking.

That was exactly my point earlier in this thread. They are stupidly wasting time and money on new styles and new scales instead of sticking with what works. Nobody likes the ugly new 6" retail line that was shown at SDCC, and many of us also scoffed at the absurdity of doing a new 4" scale line that won't fit in with any other existing scale, big or small. Both are bound to fail next year, and it will just be yet another nail in the coffin of Mattel's DC efforts, which will likely discourage them even more in giving us what we want rather than going back to their roots and providing more DCUC goodness.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:09 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

But that's just it: DCUC wasn't working anymore. They tried a revamp and it crashed and burned. They tried a sub and it limped along for a couple years, then crashed and burned.
Personally, I don't think Mattel cares about the DCU, it just cares about Batman. As long as Batman sells (the evergreen line plus occasional movie), anything else is gravy. Look at Imaginext, it is still majority Batman, because Batman is what sells. I bet Batman is at least 80% of the money that comes in from the DC license.
Now, if Matty had a six month Batman sub, I bet it would do well, but the bean counters probably don't want to potentially cannibalize retail sales.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:12 am 
ABS

shabbyblue wrote:
Nobody likes the ugly new 6" retail line that was shown at SDCC, and many of us also scoffed at the absurdity of doing a new 4" scale

No offense, but you are throwing out a lot of generalizations based on a small contingent of potential sales.

"We" are just a small part of the buying public. And "we" meaning those that voice our opinions online (which, btw, you're talking about 100 people, if that).

There are a lot of collectors and buyers out there that will buy them because they are new. There's the mom + kid segment as well.