Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Do you plan on collecting DC Total Heroes?
Yes, I plan on collecting all the figures 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I may occasionally pick up a figure 38%  38%  [ 24 ]
No, this line does not interest me 60%  60%  [ 38 ]
Total votes : 63
 Post subject: Re: Do you plan on collecting DC Total Heroes?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:18 am 
Bob Vila

Shellhead wrote:
The point is, Mattel probably bought the DC license for Batman. I bet Batman and his allies/enemies is the vast majority of all DC toy sales.

Restarting the line with Batman and the rest is probably a good move, since most toy buyers (or consumers, anyway) are the under 12 set.

This is my feeling too, if Mattel could just take a break and look at re-introducing the line as a Batman 6" 4H sculpted line at retail and work the waves as follows......

One of the versions/characters in each set/wave as follows:

1x Batman (any incarnation from the comics, AzBats first costume, Elseworlds costumes, variant costumes, different eras, Dick Grayson Batman, blue and grey TDK Batman on MOTUC buck etc)

1x Robin (small teen buck Dick Grayson, Damian Wayne Robin, Tim Drake original outfit on small teen buck, redux of Red Robin outfit on the older teen buck, Stephanie Brown Robin, Earth Two Robin, NU52 Robin, Red Robin on older teen buck, Carrie Kelly Robin, Perez New Teen Titans disco collar Nightwing on older teen buck, Night Fall era Nightwing, NU52 Nightwing)

1x Batman supporting characters (Huntress - 90's Morrisson costume, classic/Earth Two huntress costume, Oracle, Stephanie Brown Batgirl, Commissioner Gordon, Alfred, Batwoman, Catwoman - Balent costume, Catwoman Long Halloween costume, Catwoman in grey catsuit with tail, etc)

2x classic villains (take your pick...Killer Croc (using MotUC parts), KGBeast (using MotUC parts), Talia, Firefly, Classic Poison Ivy with white skin and green tights, Ventriloquist and Scarface, The Mad Hatter, The Wrath, Rat Catcher, New Scarecrow, Anarky 90's, Classic Black Mask etc , the list goes on....

1x DC Universe team up character (anyone one in the DCU that has worked with or teamed up with Batman, so any of the Classic Outsiders, basically use the Batman Brave and The Bold template).

If you worked to that mix you could continue on DC Universe all under the banner of it being a Batman line, and we'd all know roughly what to look forward to with each wave.

This is one of the best ways to resell DCU to retailers as Batman always sells.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:08 am 
An Insider

shabbyblue wrote:
joeace wrote:
I just hope that Mattel will do Comic style costumes in future waves of the DC Comics Multiverse line.

That's assuming that their new 4" Multiverse line lasts beyond 2 waves at retail. I seriously don't expect it will.

I agree, there is a high chance that those VIDEO GAME versions of figures will not sell well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:10 pm 
ABS

I'm not planning to buy Total Heroes. I'm just not interested in starting a new line/style what with all the time, money, and effort I've put into DCUC over the years. It's really too bad the sub died, but that's a whole other topic.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:15 am 
Resin

After seeing the pics of this line its a pass for me. But with the lull in collecting Im currently in (save for Lego Super Heroes) I can see me breaking down and buying,say, Black Manta and Martian Manhunter(should he be produced) because Im a fan of both of those characters.
The look of these isnt very appealing though. Not as bad Beware the Batman stuff, but too close to BATB, which I didnt care for. And sort of like the Imaginext figures, but enlarged.

Marvel Figures: Deadpool,just about any Deadpool

DC Direct Figures: New 52 Vibe/New 52 Catwoman

[/i][/b]Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:39 pm 
An Insider

One thing that I find surprising is that Mattel says that there will be 10 figures at Retail in 2014. Then they also plan Quarterly exclusives on Mattycollector, like Black Manta.

Only 4 figures in wave 1 ?
Superman
Batman
Green Lantern
Sinestro

I don't think that a good idea. It's going to kill the line. Well the sooner the better, as some people say.
You can go to a Target store and see their wave 1 exclusive Justice League figures filling the pegs.
Superman
Batman
Green Lantern
Flash

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:57 am 
serves the Otter

Aquaman's an A-lister due to Super Friends. He may be a joke to many people but everyone still knows who he is. The same cannot be said for either Flash or Green Lantern (and Green Lantern actually had a big budget movie). Both of those guys are second tier with the general public right now but I'd bet anything they will FINALLY move up to A list once the Flash and Justice League movies hit. And I hate to say it, as great as JLU was it was still a cartoon that aired sporadically on cable. It had a huge fanbase but it didn't register with the general public the way Super Friends or even Batman: The Animated Series did, so Flash and Green Lantern, while both getting their profiles raised a bit, didn't actually become household names.

Catwoman is an A-lister too due to the Adam West Batman series and Batman Returns. I count A-listers as characters that people who hate superheroes and think they are for babies could name. The few major characters that have seeped into the pop-culture zeitgiest in the same way Star Wars or say, Seinfeld has. There are not a ton of DC characters that fit this mold. I think only ten currently really qualify (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Robin, Joker, Aquaman, Lex Luthor, Penguin, Catwoman, Riddler).

When truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:05 pm 
3 3/4"

What about Two-Face and Bane. Both were in huge money making films from Nolan.Lois Lane and Zod for Superman.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:47 am 
serves the Otter

Ashxking wrote:
What about Two-Face and Bane. Both were in huge money making films from Nolan.Lois Lane and Zod for Superman.

Bane yes, Two-Face no. He was only on-screen in The Dark Knight for about twenty minutes (if that) and I don't even remember them calling him Two-Face. But yeah, Bane might someday become an A-lister if he isn't already. My problem with calling him that now is that The Dark Knight Rises is nowhere NEAR as great or memorable as The Dark Knight. Still, you're right a LOT of people did see that movie, even if it was inferior, and Bane was certainly the most memorable part about it.

Forgot about Lois and Zod but you can't really make a Lois figure that will sell anyways so its kinda moot (same with Alfred who is probably just as famous as Lois). And there have been a dearth of Zod action figures not in any Movie Masters type line. The guy is seriously underrepresented in plastic compared to how famous he is.

When truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:52 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Some of you have a super wide view of what an A-List is.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:04 pm 
Knows his stuff

Fone Bone wrote:
There are not a ton of DC characters that fit this mold. I think only ten currently really qualify (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Robin, Joker, Aquaman, Lex Luthor, Penguin, Catwoman, Riddler).

Although I'd swap out Aquaman for Lois Lane (the archetypical damsel in distress), it's hard to disagree with that list. Although ten legit A-listers is impressive. Except for Star Wars (Han, Luke, Leia, Chewbacca, Yoda, Obi Wan, 3CPO, R2-D2, Vader, maybe one or two I'm forgetting), no one I can think of else is close. Marvel certainly doesn't have more (Spider Man, Wolverine, Hulk, Captain America, and Iron Man thanks to Robert Downey Jr.'s portrayal).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:37 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

If you want to talk Marvel, most people know the Fantastic Four and many of the X-men, which would put their numbers at least as high as DC's. and I would say many people know Doom and Magneto.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:17 pm 
Knows his stuff

Shellhead wrote:
If you want to talk Marvel, most people know the Fantastic Four and many of the X-men, which would put their numbers at least as high as DC's. and I would say many people know Doom and Magneto.

As much as I like Dr. Doom and Magneto, they are A/B at best. If we are counting them, then you have to count Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman and possibly the Wonder Twins and Captain Marvel. That's also why I couldn't include Thor, despite the movies. I suppose one could make the argument since he's a mythological character, but I think he's B-list also.

Non-comic book fans may have heard of the Fantastic Four and certainly heard of the X-Men, but I doubt they could name the members excluding Wolverine. I'd even bet most non-comic book fans that heard of the X-Men think Wolverine is the leader. Mr. Fantastic, Cyclops and Storm aren't A-list.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:08 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Trust me, among the younger set (I am a teacher), a lot more people know Magneto then the Riddler. Think about it. Mags has been in four movies in the past 15 years. Riddler? Zero.

Plus the 90's Fox X-men cartoon was incredibly popular, as was its follow up toon circa 2000.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:29 pm 
Knows his stuff

But non-comic book fans don't watch comic-book movies, so they don't know Magneto from them.

Maybe, as J1h commented, you have a different definition of A-list, which is fine. When I say A-list, I mean people who don't care one iota about superheroes knows who they are. For example, I haven't and don't care to ever watch Sex in the City, but I know who Carrie is. The producers of Family Matters originally expected Steve Urkel to be a very minor character, but he's by far the most popular character on the show. Most people don't know the main family's last name, and probably don't know the name of the show, but they know Urkel.

Kids who watched the X-Men cartoon in the 90s may know the main members; the kids that didn't may have heard of the X-Men, but couldn't tell you who Cyclops and Magneto are.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:01 pm 
active in the community

jamiwa3 wrote:
But non-comic book fans don't watch comic-book movies, so they don't know Magneto from them.

You think only comic book fans watched The Avengers or The Dark Knight? :roll:

Anyway, I have no interest in this Total Heroes line. I don't like the cartoony style or the level of parts reuse. I don't know how many people noticed that they all have the same legs and upper arms, and everyone besides Aquaman has the same torso (Supes and Bats have the neck cut out so the fabric capes can tuck in).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next