Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Do you plan on collecting DC Total Heroes?
Yes, I plan on collecting all the figures 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I may occasionally pick up a figure 38%  38%  [ 24 ]
No, this line does not interest me 60%  60%  [ 38 ]
Total votes : 63
 Post subject: Re: Do you plan on collecting DC Total Heroes?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:45 am 
Knows his stuff

cespenar343 wrote:
jamiwa3 wrote:
But non-comic book fans don't watch comic-book movies, so they don't know Magneto from them.

You think only comic book fans watched The Avengers or The Dark Knight? :roll:

Of course not. That's an odd question to ask.

I don't remember the name of the villian in Transporter 2 even though I saw the movie. That's the point. Most people will immediately recognize Lex Luthor and the Joker without a thought. People may not immediately recognize Magneto, despite the fact they may have saw one of the X-Men movies. If someone says something like, "umm, isn't that the old guy that was also in Lord of the Rings?" instead of immediately recognizing them, they probably aren't A-list. A/B perhaps.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:00 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Fone Bone wrote:
Ashxking wrote:
What about Two-Face and Bane. Both were in huge money making films from Nolan.Lois Lane and Zod for Superman.

Bane yes, Two-Face no. He was only on-screen in The Dark Knight for about twenty minutes (if that) and I don't even remember them calling him Two-Face. But yeah, Bane might someday become an A-lister if he isn't already. My problem with calling him that now is that The Dark Knight Rises is nowhere NEAR as great or memorable as The Dark Knight. Still, you're right a LOT of people did see that movie, even if it was inferior, and Bane was certainly the most memorable part about it.

Forgot about Lois and Zod but you can't really make a Lois figure that will sell anyways so its kinda moot (same with Alfred who is probably just as famous as Lois). And there have been a dearth of Zod action figures not in any Movie Masters type line. The guy is seriously underrepresented in plastic compared to how famous he is.

Two Face was portrayed by Tommy Lee Jones in an over the top effort- and was ultra visual in the public eye at that time. And I stil think Margot Kidder is the most well known Lois on sight (although I do prefer Dana Delaney's as a character).

-I really wish everyone would stop taking the Nolan Films as Gospel for Batman lore.. Yes they were the most recent in the public eye-- but they are also the most recent in the generation that cant remember anything about what they watched 2 weeks ago. And the sooner we forget about Nolan the better...

And although its blasphemy for comic book guys- the Wonder Twins, Apache Chief and even Aunt Harriet, Commisioner Gordon and Cheif O'Hara are probably higher up on the list than most normal comic book characters when it comes to recognizeability.... Yes they are always made fun of-- but the reason for it - is they can make fun of it and people get the joke

Do you know how many shows (non geek ones included) have played up the Wonder Twin Powers Activate-- or "Form of _____" over the years...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:41 am 
Aspires to be #1

Yea and the Womder Twins are just cash cows too :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:04 am 
Bob Vila

I don't plan on getting any of these figures for myself but if my kids are interested in any of them I may pick some up for them. They just don't appeal to me at all.

Successful transactions with: Funtime3, Vancleef9000, Clark Kent, ivelostr2, Tuning4k, and Shellhead. Special Thanks to Stewbacca and Jim Abell. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:49 pm 
5" Scale

jamiwa3 wrote:
Although I'd swap out Aquaman for Lois Lane (the archetypical damsel in distress), it's hard to disagree with that list. Although ten legit A-listers is impressive. Except for Star Wars (Han, Luke, Leia, Chewbacca, Yoda, Obi Wan, 3CPO, R2-D2, Vader, maybe one or two I'm forgetting), no one I can think of else is close. Marvel certainly doesn't have more (Spider Man, Wolverine, Hulk, Captain America, and Iron Man thanks to Robert Downey Jr.'s portrayal).

I still contend Aquaman is an A lister but I should have clarified why: because he's a joke. But a famous joke. He by all rights should be less famous than Green Lantern or Flash but he isn't because he has become the butt of pop-culture jokes on everything from Family Guy to Entourage to The Simpsons. I haven't seen the Big Bang Theory but if there aren't any cheap shots at him there they aren't doing comedy right. Everyone knows who Aquaman is because everyone thinks he is lame. I don't necessarily agree with that sentiment but his most famous powers (being able to breathe underwater and command fish) are patently ridiculous. Everyone knows who Aquaman is even if its only because he's being made fun of.

Frankly, if I were an Aquaman fan I'd be kind of furious that that is the reason he is an A lister and gets so much attention. But it is what it is.

For the record, Aquaman's ridiculed status used to belong to Robin. People have gotten used to the idea of Robin after many decades so perhaps someday the same thing will happen to Aquaman.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:35 am 
Knows his stuff

Fone Bone wrote:
jamiwa3 wrote:
Although I'd swap out Aquaman for Lois Lane (the archetypical damsel in distress), it's hard to disagree with that list. Although ten legit A-listers is impressive. Except for Star Wars (Han, Luke, Leia, Chewbacca, Yoda, Obi Wan, 3CPO, R2-D2, Vader, maybe one or two I'm forgetting), no one I can think of else is close. Marvel certainly doesn't have more (Spider Man, Wolverine, Hulk, Captain America, and Iron Man thanks to Robert Downey Jr.'s portrayal).

I still contend Aquaman is an A lister but I should have clarified why: because he's a joke. But a famous joke. He by all rights should be less famous than Green Lantern or Flash but he isn't because he has become the butt of pop-culture jokes on everything from Family Guy to Entourage to The Simpsons. I haven't seen the Big Bang Theory but if there aren't any cheap shots at him there they aren't doing comedy right. Everyone knows who Aquaman is because everyone thinks he is lame. I don't necessarily agree with that sentiment but his most famous powers (being able to breathe underwater and command fish) are patently ridiculous. Everyone knows who Aquaman is even if its only because he's being made fun of.

Frankly, if I were an Aquaman fan I'd be kind of furious that that is the reason he is an A lister and gets so much attention. But it is what it is.

For the record, Aquaman's ridiculed status used to belong to Robin. People have gotten used to the idea of Robin after many decades so perhaps someday the same thing will happen to Aquaman.

I'm a fan of Aquaman and over the years he's been written as a total bad@$$ king of the seas and can more than hang with the best of the DC heroes.
And btw... Big Bang HAS poked fun of him as well!! There was an episode where the gang was dressing as the JL for Halloween and Raj got stuck with the Aquaman suit to which he replied: Aquaman Sucks! He even said he'd rather dress as Wonder Woman than Aquaman. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:24 pm 
5" Scale

rickwj324 wrote:
I'm a fan of Aquaman and over the years he's been written as a total bad@$$ king of the seas and can more than hang with the best of the DC heroes.
And btw... Big Bang HAS poked fun of him as well!! There was an episode where the gang was dressing as the JL for Halloween and Raj got stuck with the Aquaman suit to which he replied: Aquaman Sucks! He even said he'd rather dress as Wonder Woman than Aquaman. :lol:

I'm aware that Aquaman has been successfully reimagined as a bad@$$ in the comics. But among the general public his most well-know role is still Superfriends. And that's where all of the jokes come from. :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:00 pm 
Tis' but a pup

I have no plan on buy any unless they make a Wonder Woman. It's pretty sad that the first wave has 5 of the JLA members and then Sinestro and not Wonder Woman. I'm so sick of the sexist nature of toy companies.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:20 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

It's got less to do with that than you think. To keep costs down, the line is composed primarily of repaints, hence Sinestro. Wonder Woman would require a new female body, and there are less characters that "fit the mold", if you will. If the line succeeds and continues, I'm sure a New 52 version if here will be made. Keep in mind, they're cutting lots of costs & corners to make that $9.99 price point.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:07 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I thought Wonder Woman was supposed to be on display at NYCC?... Have they changed their stance on her?...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:05 pm 

She may be coming (I'm sure she's planned at some point), but she wasn't shwon as part of series 1.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:11 pm 
my tummy itches

No

I only bought the last JLU TARGET 6 pack due to sale price of $35... with NuDCU I'm pretty much out of DC toy / statue collecting, except for the Adam West Bat figures, and classic Imaginext style characters.

Over all, I luv new designs for 'toons (Batman @McDonalds now) and I'll grab a few of these... but the new DC proper I'm done with... until a new classic or retro style line comes along.

BTW - the McDonald's WIZARD OF OZ figures (out now too) are pretty damn awesome.

Regards,

geoffdude

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:40 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

I'll be surprised if this Total Zeroes line lasts beyond 1-2 waves at retail. And if it doesn't, is Mattel going to use it as an excuse to just give up on 6" DC figures entirely with the assumption that there's no demand out there for them?

Last edited by shabbyblue on Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:46 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

shabbyblue wrote:
I'll be surprised if this Total Zeroes line lasts beyond 1-2 waves at retail. And if it doesn't, is Mattel going to use it as an excuse to just give up on 6" DC figures entirely with the assumption that there's no demand out there for them?

THIS!!! If and when this line does bomb, they need to rethink rebooting the 4H line at retail and not just give up on DC 6".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:09 am 

Clearly the line is aimed at a younger audience, so I was surprised when they announced "collector focused" mattycollector exclusives for the line. They should Black Manta, with extra accessories, for a $20 price point, plus shipping. Anyone else think that they'll be swimming in these things, no pun intended?
Just seems too contradictory to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next