Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1803 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121  Next
 Post subject: Re: The "ASK MATTY" Q&A Question thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:12 am 
Resin

Here's a question for Ask Matty --

With the new 6" Total Heroes line introduced at the San Diego ComiCon, have we seen the last of DCUC-style figures at retail? Will they now only be available through the Signature Series? Have DC Unlimited and Batman Unlimited been scrapped?

Okay, that's more than one question, but the same basic theme.

Thanks,

EDIT -- Then again, never mind. It's been confirmed on MattyCollector's forums that Unlimited is dead, and the only place to get DCUC style figures now is the Signature Series.

I wish I could say I was surprised by this news, but I'm not. I'm not a fan of the New 52, but I guess I had some small hope that "Unlimited" meant we would one day get back to DC figures based on the DC Universe that I believe most of us prefer, and that they would be at retail beyond the Signature Series.

Instead, now the only place to find figures in that style will be the Signature Series, which I pray is renewed for 2014 (and beyond).

I am NOT impressed with the "Total Heroes" design. I don't expect to be collecting.

Whatever factors led to this, including, I am sure, retailer disinterest and the economy, I hope that someday, DCUC-style figures will return to retail.

But at the moment, I'm not Saint Walker. I'm not convinced that "All will be well..."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:14 pm 
Knows his stuff

TrekkerGI wrote:
I'm not a fan of the New 52, but I guess I had some small hope that "Unlimited" meant we would one day get back to DC figures based on the DC Universe that I believe most of us prefer

It'll come soon enough. New 52 won't last forever... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:20 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

You recently teased an upcoming Power Sword for the 2014 MOTUC sub. In the press release you stated that the accessory would be packaged with someone that might not be connected to the sword (storyline wise I'm assuming).

Could you use this strategy to give us Nekron's Scythe in the DCIE sub for 2014? It seems that you have a real concern for adding accessories to the MOTUC line, how about sharing that drive with us DC collectors?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:03 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

rickwj324 wrote:
TrekkerGI wrote:
I'm not a fan of the New 52, but I guess I had some small hope that "Unlimited" meant we would one day get back to DC figures based on the DC Universe that I believe most of us prefer

It'll come soon enough. New 52 won't last forever... :wink:

Nothing's gonna change until the books start tanking massively. And a lot of them aren't so . . . don't hold your breath.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:10 pm 
Knows his stuff

Shellhead wrote:
Nothing's gonna change until the books start tanking massively. And a lot of them aren't so . . . don't hold your breath.

Yeah.. if there's one thing that's true about DC Comics...they always return to their roots! Costume changes (gimmicks) run their course and go away. No, I'm not holding my breath... just waiting patiently. BTW... I've been a DC Comic collector for 30 years and my collection is over 6,000 comics stretching back to the 70's. I've watched many eras come and go. Not a prophet...just a fan. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:52 am 
Bob Vila

Q1. Why do Mattel feel it wise to invest in brand new tooling and design for a brand new line like the new 6" Total Heroes line, not knowing if it will sell at retail, when that money could have been spent on rebranding and promoting a new direction for 4H DCUC style figures at retail that already have a committed fan base?

You refer back to the lack of customer support for DCUC style figures, but surely it's better to build on the 63% that were still up for buying the sub, by going back to retail with a rebranded version of this line than it is to throw money at something new that may have even less buyers and tank at retail?

Surely you could've thought how to resell DCUC style line to retail again, you've already managed to sell them on picking up DCSH, then DCUC, then DC Unlimited and Batman Unlimited, so how could you not convince them to buy into yet another iteration of these styles of figures?

If 4H DCUC style figures can be picked up by retail chains, then you'd be making them in the large production runs needed to keep the price lower than what it was for the sub. Yes, they'd still be more expensive than this new 6" Dc line due to the extra articulation and paint apps, but they could still sell for between the $10.99 RRP of the new line and the $20 for sub figures.

Q2. When you do SDCC exclusives, you have a separate, larger budget right? If so, can this stand alone budget be used to get the Unleashed Doomsday out to fans? (That is, unless you don't already have something in the works to get this made.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:32 am 
Bob Vila

Q. News that Yvonne Craig has signed a deal for her likeness to be used in merchandising opens up the possibility for a Batgirl figure in the 66 line. If you do plan on making her, can you do so with a sculpted plastic cape as she would be fine with this if sat on her motorbike should that be made. And if you did put her in a future wave, could you also re-issue Batman and Robin with sculpted plastic capes as variants? Re-issuing these two with new capes seems like a no brainer as it would be an easy resell of already tooled figures.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:18 am 
Loose, Missing Package

After seeing the box for Castle Grayskull in videos and pictures from Power Con could you list the box dimensions for us (would be great if you could tell us the size box DR will be shipping these in, too) because I'm not sure that the thing will fit in my car and I'll need to find an alternate way to pick it up from the post office if it won't.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:05 am 
Daniel Pickett

Anyone have any questions for Mattel for the next round of "Ask Matty?" They are changing the the format up a bit starting this month where they will only be answering questions about product sold on MattyCollector.com. They will no be covering any Mattel retail lines in these Q&As.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:40 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

Directly contradicting an answer from 15 days ago:

Q2. Why is the DC retail team never around to answer questions?

A2. The DC team will be sending answers in the near future.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:42 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

So we can ask questions about MOTUC and ... ?????

I guess that's about it...
:(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:56 am 
Daniel Pickett

There's also the Ghostbusters props and the DC Total Heroes that were announced as Matty Exclusives.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:06 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

Right, the Black Manta DC Comics Total Heroes exclusive which makes an immense amount of sense given the trajectory of that line.

I suppose you could also ask every month is they've reached decision on selling the tooled 2014 DCIE figures if that floats your boat.

Or the possibility of a '66 Yvonne Craig Batgirl with Batcycle sold at SDCC and Matty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:31 pm 
Bob Vila

The DC sub didn't go through this year, and despite what you tell us and expect us to believe, there is still a big market for 4H DC 6" figures in that style. What I want to know is, are you going to dig your heels and just give up on the line or are you going to start listening to fans, working with them through the various toy sites and Matty collector, and re-focus the character selections to produce characters that fans are asking for and that will sell in big enough numbers to make it worth your while and keep the bean counters at mattel happy?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:47 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

And which characters would those be, Elvis? There aren't enough "must haves" for people, apparently.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1803 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121  Next