Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is Rocket Red really that bad?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:16 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Hey all,

So I've been jonesing for a Rocket Red for a while so I can complete my Justice League International team display but I can't seem to pull the trigger on him. First off I'm in the camp that really wanted Dimitri's second armor. But seeing as that was way too much for tooling I can see them going this route to save money which I don't mind. But the size...is he really that huge compared to the rest of the team and figures? I've heard he is on the Atom Smasher buck (which I unfortunately don't have either) and I'd imagine them making Atom Smasher pretty big compared to everyone else.

Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Is Rocket Red really that bad?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:23 am 
ABS

Unfortunately, you are correct about Rocket Red being built off of the Atom Smasher buck. This means that Rocket Red stands about 1.5 times taller than an average human DCUC figure. Just look at the picture below (NOTE: Mary Marvel is on a flight stand, so don't use her for basis of height comparison).

Seeing as how DC Club Infinite Earths is coming to a close as well as pretty much the rest of the DC Universe 4 Horsemen figures, this is the only Rocket Red figure we are likely to get from Mattel. If you are really a big JLI fan, I would say get him. Plus, given that Mattel most likely still has a bunch of these sitting around in the warehouse, it's entirely possible that you will be able to pick up Rocket Red for really cheap during their Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale.

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:18 am 
shirtless hugger

Standing alone, Red Rocket is a really nice figure with some great details. But it is ridiculously out of scale with the rest of the line. A big blunder on Mattel's part, in my opinion.

I think you can get one pretty cheaply on eBay these days. It goes for much less than the $45 it sold for on MattyCollector.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:38 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

It's bad, particularly for your need. There's no waiving it off as just a large robotic suit as there are elements like thighs which are shaped and scaled to reflect human anatomy. What a mess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:40 pm 
An Insider

Mattel really goofed up on this one. I like the Rocket Red characters, but the figure was out of scale.
I bought a 2nd one for $40 to make a custom using shorter legs from Bane or Despero.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:53 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sad to hear that Rocket Red really is that bad. But I think you are correct and that it will be a long time (if ever) until we see another version made by Mattel or DC Collectibles. I do think I will wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday to try and catch him cheap though. I just have to do something I rarely do and exercise a bit more patience.

Thanks again. Especially for the comparison pic. Yeesh.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:03 pm 
Variant Head

I voted for Rocket Red a TON of times but only cause they showed the 80s JLI version but Mattel gave nothing close with this figure. If I were you I would wait I bet these will pop up from Mattel for cheaper