Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 615 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: SDCC 2013: DC Comics Multiverse 4" line thread
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:56 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Exactly- claming Batman '66 is proof that Movie Masters is a hit-- is a joke-- Batman '66 is not Movie Masters-- Maybe they are the same scale- but they are not movie masters--- They are TV masters if they are anything..

The movie figures continue to clog pegs and always will...

And for those of you claiming sellouts-- I will gladly sell you the truckloads that are sitting all over the place in the entire midwest...since apparently your areas are the ones that are the hotbeds for all this activity-..

Because Ollies or Tuesday Morning or Big Lots apparently cleaned your shelves out for you.. I can still find Movie Master Joker, Batman and Clown Masked thugs if I spent 10 minutes looking for them..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:58 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

batfink wrote:
Quote:
Every single movie masters figure ever sat on the pegs for years (I dont consider Batman '66 movie masters)-- for crying out loud you can still find movie masters from the Dark Knight and Green lantern at stores.

I love this rationale. The 1966 Batman is Movie Masters, despite the fact that it does not fit your argument. ?

Its not from the movie-- how is it a movie Master-- same scale does not equal same line-- 12" scale figures made by sideshow for 2 different properties arent the same line-- you are the one using false comparisons to prove your point..

And they were there for three years- because they just sat there.... Just like the same reason Iron Man 3 figures will still be there 2 years from now..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:00 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Actually, the last few MM figures on the pegs in my local store aren't there because they were all that's left after the dozen previous cases sold through. its because they never sold in the first place and my stores aren't bothering to restock until it all gets cleared out.

I can still find DK and DKR figures at my local TRU.

I can still find GL figures at my local TRU

My local Targets are so flooded with Superman movie toys they have them in the aisle AND on 3 separate endcaps and they still aren't selling them.

Some of the local Walmarts have been taking stock off the shelves and moving to the back to make room for other properties that do sell.

Again, if they are selling well for you and.or in your area, great. But that is not true across the board and in all regions.

As for Mattel's statement about Batman '66 selling well, remember, they don't track how well it sells AT RETAIL TO US, they talk about how well it sells to the internal BUYERS THAT STOCK THE STORES. Based upon that, every First wave of every movie tie in is the hottest selling toy of all time. The collector/end user sees that very differently when trying to locate waves 2, 3, 4 etc.

Again, I personally don't have a stake in the success or failure of these figures. It truly doesn't matter to me. And it won't until the start adding Comic Style to the Multiverse lineup. But that is the beauty of this new brand, it will have offerings of DC characters from all over the place, from movies, to tv, to video games, to comics, and animation. Some offerings will be met with great hurrahs, others will be ho hum. Not everyone will be pleased with everything coming out, and I'm fairly certain that Mattel is ok with that.

Im sorry you aren't getting the figures in a scale that you want. Truly. I wish the toy world were much stronger and we all got what we hoped for. I still wish the DC sub would've gone through, DCUC were still on the pegs with DCIE, JLU, Young Justice, and Action League, and they were still offering more and new lines like what we are seeing here. However the reality of it is, consumers are asking for lower price points more than they are asking for continuation of a scale for a consistent displays sake.

Especially since the corporate buyers are giving more credence to the "mom" consumers than they ever will to the "collector" buyer.

Try being happy with what you've got, and what is coming up, instead of looking to blast, maim, and kill for what you aren't getting, and I'll bet the hobby gets a boost of enthusiasm from the new perspective.

Just my 2cents. Feel free to disagree. Clearly we aren't on the same page. I'm ok with that, are you?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:03 am 
ABS

double post

Last edited by Superpowers1980 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:04 am 
ABS

double post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:46 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Try being happy with what you've got, and what is coming up, instead of looking to blast, maim, and kill for what you aren't getting, and I'll bet the hobby gets a boost of enthusiasm from the new perspective.

Just my 2cents. Feel free to disagree. Clearly we aren't on the same page. I'm ok with that, are you?

:D

Makes sense to me. Bravo.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:14 am 
Cold-cast

Could we stop using the "my local Targets have this" as an argument? Unless you are an employee of Target who handles national sales figures for toys, it means absolutely zero and has nothing to do with any of this. Every time I read it I want to groan.

Movie Masters figures have been around since 2008. Stores keep stocking them. Mattel says they sell really well. The MM Dark Knight figures offered on Mattycollector (which were also available in stores) sold out in a day. But I don't think facts are going to win over anybody here.

I went from being an avid Mattel DC product collector to almost exclusively buying figures from other companies because Mattel stopped understanding what I would like as a collector. The purpose of these boards is the hope that someone from Mattel will read them and understand what we want a little bit better, and maybe even make a course correct. Like it or not, they still hold the DC license.

I'm 100% fine with Keaton, Reeve, etc. being in 4 inch scale. What I'm not fine with is that DC Direct will be prohibited from making them into 6 inch figures, and Mattel will not consider offering 6 inch Movie Masters on Mattycollector. I hope Mattel does have a plan for 6 inch movie figures and we will get an announcement in the near future.

If they don't make the 6 inch movie figures, Mattel is clearly missing an opportunity and I would like to help them out. There are just as many Keaton and Reeve fans as there are Adam West fans.

Also, the "shut your mouth and be happy with you got" approach really undermines the whole purpose of these boards.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:33 am 

OK, well said.

I get your points, but I don't agree with them entirely.

I've never really seen the purpose of the boards as being an avenue into the offices of Mattel (or hasbro or NECA or ...) even though there are people from those companies that frequent here on occasion. I would like to know that I can get something into their ears and minds, but I'm not thinking that is the point of being here.

For me, being here is about the conversations between fans. Sometimes that gets carried away and devolves into rants/bashing/etc. Sometimes it leads to solid debate.

For me, the single best part of your post is :
Quote:
...because Mattel stopped understanding what I would like as a collector
(my emphasis for the part that struck me as the root of it all).

So, yeah, thanks for your input. And thanks for doing it in a way that wasn't demeaning or "attacky". Tis appreciated.

and since I was called out on the "shut your mouth and be happy with what you got" idea ...
I don't put that out there as an attack or as a cure all blanket statement. And I wholly agree that there needs to be a "voice of discontent" among the threads as well in order to keep everyone on their toes and help to improve the situation/product/whatever, but so much of this thread turned into bile so quickly upon release of those images that I just couldn't let it go without saying that this isn't the end, but only a very good beginning (perhaps I should've said that in my original post). The figures aren't for me (because they are "movie" and I don't buy those) but they are still a damn fine improvement over anything else Mattel has been offering lately and I think that needed to be acknowledged.

Again, thanks for the counter point. Thanks for the discourse.

Hopefully, we'll all end up getting exactly what we want in the end of it all.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:45 am 
declined to be a vampire

You give me an open dc universe 4 inch line that I think is priced well and looks good and I'll buy them all day long, movie masters or not.

And maybe it's past the point of these figures ever being what I consider "affordable" for what we get.

But even at 10 bucks a pop, for a 4 inch figure, I just can't get excited. The worst part is, that 10 dollar price won't last.

I hate going into a store and seeing some of the cool looking hasbro 3.75 inch figures, and they are 9.99 on up. I just don't think they are worth 10 bucks.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:48 am 

100% agree on that point.

I'd love to get someone to put out an MU or new Multiverse style figure for under $7 at this point buy I know its just a pipedream.... :(

(at least I have the Lego Minifigs and new Imaginext bagged figures for my "under $5" fix ...)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:03 am 
Variant Head

I just can not believe the money being put into Total Heroes on Matty. I mean they should do 6 inch Movie Masters on Matty those would sell but I think Total Heroes is going to hurt them

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:05 am 
Cold-cast

Yes definitely a good discussion. I think ultimately someone will make 6 inch Keaton and Reeve figures at some point. So all of this is probably for nothing. I just hope it is Mattel because I would like to have a consistent set of figures.

I'm thinking price point was the deciding factor in the scale change. Especially with all of the increasing costs of producing things overseas.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:28 am 
active in the community

Regardless of costs, then you hold a poll. They HAVE to be aware of the fans that they are alienating with this decision. They are so hellbent on polls any other time on their pointless web site, but did nothing with this.

"Hey guys, we want to give you a Reeve Superman and a Keaton Batman. But here's the thing, to keep it at a retail price point, we'd have to shrink them down to 4 inches. OR, we can put them at the already established 6 inches, but you'll have to pay a bit more. Which would you prefer?"

How easy is that?

And yeah, sorry, I too can't get behind the "you'll take it and like it" approach. That's so insulting to try and trivialize how we're feeling just because it doesn't jive with how YOU feel. That completely undermines, and devalues the emotions/opinions that others are feeling with this. As if I'm not entitled to be upset with the thought going behind this, just as others are entitled to be excited over them. No one came along and told you that YOU can't be happy over it.

Hey, I'm pleased as punch for those of you who are getting the figures the way you like them. But, and this is no hyperbole--I (and MANY others) WILL NOT support a line that so clearly was built with disregard to the established fan base. Hell, I just got a text from a buddy who is a fair weathered collector, at best. This isn't the fanboy like you or me. It's a guy who just likes Batman, and collects cool Batman things he sees. He was SO excited about these, asking if I had seen them--sending me about 6 texts of pictures of the line. I broke the news that they were four inch. His reply, and I'm quoting:

"Ugh! Are you serious? These are in that 4 inch line?? I assumed they were Movie Masters! F**k that! Now I'm more disappointed than I was when they didn't even exist! Grr! F**king Mattel!!"

From the "non-fanboy, non-collector".

I don't care to get into the semantics of if this is a "Movie Masters" or "TV Masters", or sales of previous MMs. Because the fact of the matter is--unless you are a part of those board meetings, going to Ollie's or Target doesn't designate the failure of a line. No matter which way you try to work it in your mind to the contrary.

If Movie Masters failed, then why did and DO they continue to make them? Hell, they just announced Ghostbusters 2 packs on Matty. In 6 inch scale. They announced the continuation of Batman '66--in 6 inch scale. The thought process behind making these HIGHLY requested figures out of scale is a complete absurdity. Try crashing from the highest high, and allow someone to tell you to "accept it, and take what you can get". Try having someone tell you that you're unappreciative.

Bitter disappointment and frustration, and venting that disappointment and frustration ain't the same thing as being unappreciative, folks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:52 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Firstly, a personal disclaimer: I've only read page seven of this thread, as I'm too lazy to wade through the previous six. So I apologize if I seemingly echo points that others could be trying to make. it looks like things are getting heated 'round here. Okay, on with it Htd!

I like the idea of the Superman/Superman II/Burton-Keaton Bats being made. I don't mind them being four inches, but I certainly understand why it would tick off the Movie Masters fans. My misgivings with this line lie with character selection. Meaning, we're getting Christopher Reeve Supes and Terence Stamp Zod. Awesome! However, I don't trust Mattel based on their past actions when it comes to finishing teams and the like. With Reeve and Stamp, should come a Gene Hackman Lex Luthor, Sarah Douglas Ursa, and Jack O'Halloran Non at the very least. That's just for starters. I don't trust that they're all a sure thing. Same thing goes with Jack Nicholson Joker and other ancillary characters.

Likewise, if Mattel is making these otherwise awesome four inch figures, they might as well make four inch Man Of Steel and Nolan Bat-Trilogy figures in this line. The Movie Master Man Of Steel figures all seem off to me, likeness-wise. The 'kiddie' Man Of Steel figures are circa 1997 in execution. Something tells me that Mattel is going to keep them separated...'modern' movie four inchers from the 70's/80's movie figures. But you tell me who wouldn't want a Chris Reeve Supes and a Henry Cavill Supes standing next to each other in the four inch(or Movie Masters scale even) line? Bale Bats and Keaton Bats as well.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:31 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I'm psyched for this. Through the roof excited. That said, I feel for the 6 inchers. I remember DESPERATELY wanting a Reeves Superman to chase down cobras launched missiles or Burton Bats to square off against Storm Shadow. Hasbro had the license for both, it only made sense. Hasbro loses DC, gets Marvel, and here comes MU. I was broken. I further realize that it doesn't even compare to what the MM collectors are going through. Same company, same highly desirable figures, wrong scale. I get the anger.

I think some of the 4incher backlash is a perception, either through misrepresentation or misunderstanding, that you are rooting for a demise of this instead of pleading for some of your own. That's tough for us shorties to swallow. We've been on the back burner for a while, and this obviously gets us excited. It's not 'stupid' to sell product people will buy. We are out here. We will buy it. I, or we as a whole, may be misunderstanding each other. I hope we are. That's an easy fix!!! :P

Now a quick question about the figures themselves: I know it's been stated there will be standard articulation on these but the display shows a reduced amount for Superman. Is it safe to assume that this is just a mock up? Thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 615 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 41  Next