Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 495 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: SDCC 2013: DC Comics Multiverse 4" line thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:17 pm 
shirtless hugger

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Especially since the corporate buyers are giving more credence to the "mom" consumers than they ever will to the "collector" buyer.

Thank you for making this point. Fans often forget that retailers are part of the equation. Mattel makes retail business decisions based on what retailers want, not what fans want. If retailers say not thanks to a 6" Movie Masters line and yes to a 4" line, then that's what Mattel is going to make.

If fans want 6" Tim Burton Batman figures, it's up to them to tell Mattel. Get some polls going, start a petition drive, take some action other than ranting on an online forum. Everyone is certainly allowed a good rant here, but passive-aggressive complaining is not going to change anything.

Be proactive, and I'd be happy to support your cause, because if the 4" figures are any indication, 6" Batman Returns figures would be awesome!

Blanka12 wrote:
This isn't the fanboy like you or me. It's a guy who just likes Batman, and collects cool Batman things he sees. He was SO excited about these, asking if I had seen them--sending me about 6 texts of pictures of the line. I broke the news that they were four inch. His reply, and I'm quoting:

"Ugh! Are you serious? These are in that 4 inch line?? I assumed they were Movie Masters! F**k that! Now I'm more disappointed than I was when they didn't even exist! Grr! F**king Mattel!!"

A rant over Mattel's choice of scale? I think your friend is now officially a fanboy! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:38 pm 
active in the community

GregNYC wrote:
bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Especially since the corporate buyers are giving more credence to the "mom" consumers than they ever will to the "collector" buyer.

Thank you for making this point. Fans often forget that retailers are part of the equation. Mattel makes retail business decisions based on what retailers want, not what fans want. If retailers say not thanks to a 6" Movie Masters line and yes to a 4" line, then that's what Mattel is going to make.

If fans want 6" Tim Burton Batman figures, it's up to them to tell Mattel. Get some polls going, start a petition drive, take some action other than ranting on an online forum. Everyone is certainly allowed a good rant here, but passive-aggressive complaining is not going to change anything.

Be proactive, and I'd be happy to support your cause, because if the 4" figures are any indication, 6" Batman Returns figures would be awesome!

Blanka12 wrote:
This isn't the fanboy like you or me. It's a guy who just likes Batman, and collects cool Batman things he sees. He was SO excited about these, asking if I had seen them--sending me about 6 texts of pictures of the line. I broke the news that they were four inch. His reply, and I'm quoting:

"Ugh! Are you serious? These are in that 4 inch line?? I assumed they were Movie Masters! F**k that! Now I'm more disappointed than I was when they didn't even exist! Grr! F**king Mattel!!"

A rant over Mattel's choice of scale? I think your friend is now officially a fanboy! :lol:

Well, we kind of are. We know Daniel knows the folks at Mattel. We know that they read this forum. We're telling them now. And I won't argue about the fan boy thing! :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:44 pm 
active in the community

Jake wrote:
I certainly don't think anyone has a problem with voicing opinions. I know I don't. My issue is the assumption that these will flop, no one wants them, forget about this scale and go to the only scale that matters. I have been yearning for this exact thing since I was 8. I only (well...not ONLY, but...) Collect 3.75/4 inch figures. Almost to the man, we 'shorties' have said our heart breaks for you. I will be behind you guys if you push for your OWN Reeves Superman. We still want ours.

DISCLAIMER: I apologize if I misunderstood your statements. I take full responsibility if that's the case.

And no one is saying this. We're simply saying that this is stupid decision based upon what we've been requesting. We're being left out in the dark, after years of pleading. No one's saying if we can't have ours, you can't have one. We're saying that we've already established a scale. To abandon it without justification is infuriating.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:14 pm 
Tis' but a pup

Blanka12 wrote:
And no one is saying this. We're simply saying that this is stupid decision based upon what we've been requesting.

Maybe I misunderstood. That's the most difficult part of internet communication, IMHO. Tone, facial cues, and inflection are absent. I'm perceiving it as some (not necessarily you) saying 'Mattel has it ALL wrong, no one's going to buy these, trash it and go 6". You're telling me that's not the case. I take you at your word. Thanks for the clarification!!!
Blanka12 wrote:
We're being left out in the dark, after years of pleading. No one's saying if we can't have ours, you can't have one. We're saying that we've already established a scale. To abandon it without justification is infuriating.

I have NO argument with this. I hope they change policy and release them via mattycollector... at the very least. I'm pulling for you guys!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:23 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Blanka12 wrote:
And no one is saying this. We're simply saying that this is stupid decision based upon what we've been requesting. We're being left out in the dark, after years of pleading. No one's saying if we can't have ours, you can't have one. We're saying that we've already established a scale. To abandon it without justification is infuriating.

I think it is a stupid thing to complain.
Did any of the 6 inch snobs even consider that there will also be 6 inch figures of them in the future?
Did Matty abandon 6 inch figures? I see no proof of this.
This is the same ridiculous whining we saw by the Legends snobs when Marvel Universe came out. Guess what? Marvel 6 inch figures came back.
Perhaps the 6 inch snobs should step into the action figure aisle and cry until someone gives them their toys. That's what they look like: crying kids at the store who don't get what they want. :roll:
Something that would work better is a courteous letter to Mattel directly instead of ranting in online forums.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:33 pm 
Aspires to be #1

At least you guys can agree on one thing...you all love these crappy movie masters figures :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:46 pm 
active in the community

Goldbug wrote:
I think it is a stupid thing to complain.
Did any of the 6 inch snobs even consider that there will also be 6 inch figures of them in the future?
Did Matty abandon 6 inch figures? I see no proof of this.
This is the same ridiculous whining we saw by the Legends snobs when Marvel Universe came out. Guess what? Marvel 6 inch figures came back.
Perhaps the 6 inch snobs should step into the action figure aisle and cry until someone gives them their toys. That's what they look like: crying kids at the store who don't get what they want. :roll:
Something that would work better is a courteous letter to Mattel directly instead of ranting in online forums.

Okay, several things to address here.

1) We reserve every right to complain, vent, release our frustrations as we see fit. No one here is stepping out of line. No one here is threatening lives. We're venting our frustrations over a toyline. If not on a toy message board, where else are we supposed to do so? You can't just expect people to comply with what you want or think, and expect them to shut up because you find it stupid. That's the purpose of these forums. To rejoice, to complain, to discuss, etc. Just because it doesn't jive with how YOU feel, doesn't make it stupid. And frankly, you're complaining about complaining. And THAT is what is truly stupid.

2) Being a fan of a particular scale makes people "snobs"? You've got one effed up, warped sense of opinion, kid. Oh, and for the record, I had a buddy just pick me up the 3 and 3/4 Hal Jordan/Saint Walker set at NYCC. Not much of a snob there. I'm not opposed to the scale. But again--we've already established a scale on the movie lines, and now--without justification or cause, it's being switched over. THAT is what people are upset about. Do you get that?

3) Has anyone considered that they'll release these in 6 inch, as well? ::Looks up at previous posts:: Yeah, actually. I think we have. Did YOU read any previous posts before you decided to start hurling insults? Again, we still have yet to receive word on that, seeing as how we can't get them to reply on their own forum. Regardless of that, AGAIN....we reserve the right to complain about that.

Everyone here has been fairly cordial and not one insult has been thrown at one another until you came along. If you can't have a civil conversation like an adult, I'd suggest you jog along, junior.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:00 pm 
MINT!

Ugh. I visit this site for the first time in months because I'm excited that Mattel is finally doing some great 4" figures. And dudes are spending pages and pages in a pi**ing contest over which scale is better. Give it a rest.

For the record, I'll be buying every single 4" DC character that Mattel releases. Just like I did with Infinite Heroes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:18 pm 
active in the community

WOW.

NO ONE.....repeat NO ONE....is disputing which is better. What we're saying, and it can not be put any other way, or any simpler:

Is that we've already established a scale for the movie figures. You can have your little figures. We also want to ensure that those of us who have supported the 6 inch line, and have been requesting these figures in the 6 inch line for years, get ours too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:27 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

When complaints about scale alone (not the quality of the figures, which is totally on-topic) take up more than half the thread, is the thread really about the line in question anymore? Some of us who want to discuss the figures are finding the atmosphere on the thread hostile, even if the hostility isn't directed at us. I don't enjoy hanging around a bunch of angry people IRL, whether they're angry at me or not.

Again, that's why I'd like to see a separate thread (not an SDCC-specific thread) where those who anticipate the line can discuss it without complaints of scale-class. Those complaints make perfect sense in a "why did they kill 6" Movie Masters" thread, but not so much in a "hey look 4-inch DC figures for the first time in years!" thread. Many of us are here to discuss the line we're getting, not to bemoan the line we wish we had.

Back on-topic: I have to agree that the Reeves Superman S-shield looks more than a little rubbery, which isn't movie accurate. Must it be sculpted? Couldn't it just be a paint app? How close to the retail releases are these figures?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:33 pm 
active in the community

Fair enough. We'll create a new thread. That's all anyone had to say. "Give it a rest" and insults aren't the way to go about it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:12 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Blanka12 wrote:
Okay, several things to address here.

1) We reserve every right to complain, vent, release our frustrations as we see fit. No one here is stepping out of line. No one here is threatening lives. We're venting our frustrations over a toyline. If not on a toy message board, where else are we supposed to do so? You can't just expect people to comply with what you want or think, and expect them to shut up because you find it stupid. That's the purpose of these forums. To rejoice, to complain, to discuss, etc. Just because it doesn't jive with how YOU feel, doesn't make it stupid. And frankly, you're complaining about complaining. And THAT is what is truly stupid.

2) Being a fan of a particular scale makes people "snobs"? You've got one effed up, warped sense of opinion, kid. Oh, and for the record, I had a buddy just pick me up the 3 and 3/4 Hal Jordan/Saint Walker set at NYCC. Not much of a snob there. I'm not opposed to the scale. But again--we've already established a scale on the movie lines, and now--without justification or cause, it's being switched over. THAT is what people are upset about. Do you get that?

3) Has anyone considered that they'll release these in 6 inch, as well? ::Looks up at previous posts:: Yeah, actually. I think we have. Did YOU read any previous posts before you decided to start hurling insults? Again, we still have yet to receive word on that, seeing as how we can't get them to reply on their own forum. Regardless of that, AGAIN....we reserve the right to complain about that.

Everyone here has been fairly cordial and not one insult has been thrown at one another until you came along. If you can't have a civil conversation like an adult, I'd suggest you jog along, junior.

I'm sorry you thought I was singling you out. The snobs I'm referring to are the ones who do say the 6 inch scale is better & p**s on the 4 inch fans' parade.
You may vent your frustrations I was not against that. I'm against the bashing of Mattel because they didn't make what I wanted in my preferred scale group.
I just want to vent my frustration at a lot of people maybe not on this forum particularly but on a lot of forums I visited who seem to be having panic attacks over these.
I'm sorry I did not know Mattel had specifically said that they were making a movie line in 6 inch scale.
Toy companies routinely never say what their future internal plans are. Perhaps they will eventually make 6 inch versions. I still can't find the quote from Mattel that said they will not in any circumstance make 6 inch versions of these in the future.
Eric Qel-Droma wrote:
Back on-topic: I have to agree that the Reeves Superman S-shield looks more than a little rubbery, which isn't movie accurate. Must it be sculpted? Couldn't it just be a paint app? How close to the retail releases are these figures?

Could it actually come off like in the movie!? :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:43 pm 

Goldbug wrote:
Eric Qel-Droma wrote:

Could it actually come off like in the movie!? :shock:

THAT would be hilariously awful. I'd buy two and throw them at my enemies in the winter. THAT'd show 'em.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:30 pm 
active in the community

I will admit several things about what I've seen:

1) I'm glad that a Burton Batman and Reeve Superman line is finally happening.....albeit not in the scale I wanted.
2) For what they are, they look great. That Penguin is a work of art.
3) Hopefully, if they are insistent upon going with this scale, they start to include vehicles. Otherwise, what is the damned point?
4) If you're going to do this line.....we need Nicholson Joker. Would love to see what they can do with it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:40 pm 

Blanka12 wrote:
I will admit several things about what I've seen:

1) I'm glad that a Burton Batman and Reeve Superman line is finally happening.....albeit not in the scale I wanted.
2) For what they are, they look great. That Penguin is a work of art.
3) Hopefully, if they are insistent upon going with this scale, they start to include vehicles. Otherwise, what is the damned point?
4) If you're going to do this line.....we need Nicholson Joker. Would love to see what they can do with it.

1) I'd like to see a George Reeves Superman wave, too, with B&W variants. Besides, the Noel Neill Lois would also work for the Reeve Superman line as Mrs. Lane.
2) I just hope Penguin has more articulation in the actual production figures than what was there. I'll take what I can get, but I'd like to get more.
3) It's not perfect, but I find most 5" figure line vehicles work and look pretty good with 4" figures. I already have a ToyBiz Batmobile and Batwing waiting for Mr. Keaton.
4) You are so right. To not make one would be insane.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 495 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 33  Next