Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Official "Why'd They Kill Movie Masters?" Thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:37 pm 
active in the community

Yep. We're livid about the much demanded/requested Reeve Superman, and Keaton Batman figures being scaled down to 4 inch, and completely neglected in the pre-established 6 inch Movie Masters scale. We've wanted it for years. We've begged for years. And now, without justification or cause, we're being shown that our requests mean jack.

Complain and moan here.

Post subject: Re: The Official "Why'd They Kill Movie Masters?" Thread
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:48 am 
Displays Backwards

My theory is that the Movie Masters didn't sell well enough for Mattel. And they are hoping the smaller, cheaper figures will appeal to both moms/kids AND collectors. Sounds rational to me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:34 am 
active in the community

BCYa wrote:
My theory is that the Movie Masters didn't sell well enough for Mattel. And they are hoping the smaller, cheaper figures will appeal to both moms/kids AND collectors. Sounds rational to me.

Yeah. Rational. Because your Toys R' Us is indicative of an entire toyline across the entire world's sales.

If it were a poor seller, then we wouldn't be receiving Man of Steel figures. We wouldn't receive those Ghostbusters 2 packs that are coming up.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:55 am 
Aspires to be #1

Blanka12 wrote:
BCYa wrote:

Yeah. Rational. Because your Toys R' Us is indicative of an entire toyline across the entire world's sales.

If it were a poor seller, then we wouldn't be receiving Man of Steel figures. We wouldn't receive those Ghostbusters 2 packs that are coming up.

Could you be any more hostile to anyone's response to this?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:57 am 
Displays Backwards

Blanka12 wrote:
BCYa wrote:

Where did I say anything about my TRU? I can see whatever response anybody is going to give here is not going to be good enough for you.

Honestly, they killed the line because they love to see you whine and cry.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:49 am 
active in the community

j1h15233 wrote:
Could you be any more hostile to anyone's response to this?

I probably could, yeah. Sorry...after being insulted by a few members in the other thread last night, I'm little on the defensive. My fault.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:28 pm 
shirtless hugger

Who said that Mattel killed the Movie Masters line?

At NYCC today, I talked to the Mattel rep who oversees retail sales in North America, and she said the Movie Masters line was not dead and would continue in the 6" form. She would not reveal which figures were planned for the line, but suggested that the upcoming Batman/Superman movie would be an appropriate fit.

Just because certain fan-demanded figures are not being made in a specific scale now doesn't mean there are no plans for them in the future. A lot of the decisions about a retail line are decided with input from the retailers. Obviously, other factors are involved as well. But if there is interest among retailers in 6" Keaton Batman figures and 6" Reeves Superman figures, Mattel will make them.

Looking on the bright side, I think it's a good sign that the 4" figures are being made. The sculpting and the details look amazing, and the figures are likely sell fast, which could lead to them being made in a 6" scale.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:40 pm 
active in the community

I like your attitude, Greg.

Good news about the MM line...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:55 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

1) Thanks for separating the complaints from the 4" thread.

2) You have my sincerest toy-lover sympathy over this. Getting screwed out of a key figure (or figures) in one's "proper" scale - especially when one knows that Mattel/whoever can make them and has even made plans to make them - is infuriating. I was super excited for an original costume Harley for DCIH... and they canceled the line after having mismanaged it horribly. It was like Mattel was punishing me for its stupidity.

I hope that this is all some elaborate ruse to try to stoke fanboy anguish to increase sales of the eventual WB Retro Movie Masters line. I really do.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:05 am 
shirtless hugger

Mattel has done a lot of dumb things with the Batman, Superman and DC action figure lines over the last 10 years. So if they did cancel the Movie Masters line I would not be surprised.

I think the main thing that killed it was price. Smaller figures are cheaper to make and to sell. So it makes sense to go that route.

However, there should be enough body bucks to continue the line. I hope that they do continue the line, but Mattel has disappointed me so many times before.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:10 am 
Loose, Missing Package

In the past, retail hasn't wanted the movie masters in years that didn't have a movie and I think that's a big part of what this is. Maybe when Superman/Batman hits the waves will include figures from older movies just to beef-up the assortments, especially if "spoiler" figures are being held back. May also be waiting for a later announcement like Toy Fair, think about it, the Keaton Batman film turns 25 next summer so there is potential for that, too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:54 am 
ABS

Retail took the Batman 66 line. If retail can take that line I can't imagine they would not take the Batman 89 toys.

I wonder is there anyone who collects MM that are happy with the change?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:28 am 
active in the community

Jim_Abell wrote:
In the past, retail hasn't wanted the movie masters in years that didn't have a movie and I think that's a big part of what this is. Maybe when Superman/Batman hits the waves will include figures from older movies just to beef-up the assortments, especially if "spoiler" figures are being held back. May also be waiting for a later announcement like Toy Fair, think about it, the Keaton Batman film turns 25 next summer so there is potential for that, too.

Don't say that. PLEASE don't say that...

It has NOT been 25 years! It came out 2 years ago! :(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:55 am 
Brand Manager

Blanka12 wrote:
I like your attitude, Greg.

Good news about the MM line...

Amen! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:57 am 
Brand Manager

Blanka12 wrote:
Yep. We're livid about the much demanded/requested Reeve Superman, and Keaton Batman figures being scaled down to 4 inch, and completely neglected in the pre-established 6 inch Movie Masters scale. We've wanted it for years. We've begged for years. And now, without justification or cause, we're being shown that our requests mean jack.

Complain and moan here.

Thanks for doing that. I was out yesterday, and now I can feel like home here :)