Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: The Post-JLU/DCAU Toyline Discussion
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:01 am 
Brand Manager

And Disney Cars is selling like Hot Cakes but as far as Batman and Superman goes JLU is still aired. The Target exclusive JL figures just have not performed I do not know I just miss JLU and wish they could do some cheap waves maybe only 1 new figure and Bats, Supes all day long .....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:55 pm 
Cold-cast

Shellhead wrote:
Yeah, I couldn't remember if that was Hasbro or Mattel. I don't pay that much attention to icky cootie-filled girl toys.

:P

Eeeeeeeeeeeeew girls are gross! He Man Woman Haters Club all the way! :P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:51 am 
Resin

bat313 wrote:
Well it's been awhile since I've posted on this board. Mostly because I had to pack away my entire JLU collection for a year while we were in the process of moving. Now that the move is complete I have been setting up my "office/man cave" and unpacking all of my toys. I even bought two new shelves to display my entire JLU collection. When I opened the storage boxes this weekend I couldn't have been more disappointed.

First let me explain how I packed them away. Knowing that they are made of really cheap plastic I purposely laid down a layer of tissue paper and bubble wrap, followed by a layer of JLU figures lying on their backs, followed by another layer of tissue paper and bubble wrap and so on. My entire collection filled up one plastic bin. I stored the bin at my parents house in the closet of an upstairs bedroom. Again, purposely keeping them out of the attic or garage knowing that extreme heat will melt these figures.

Fast forward to this weekend and about 1/2 of my collection looked like pretzels. Twisted legs, twisted arms and even Batman Beyond had his ears bent down. It's going to take me hours of boiling water and resetting limbs to get my collection looking good again. I really do love this collection and the way the figures look when they are all displayed together. And I appreciate Mattel for getting out as many figures as they could as best as they could. but the JLU figures certainly do not hold up to the test of time. I was so disappointed at first I considered trashing the entire box of figures. Now that I've had some time to relax and work on a fix I'm going to attempt to put them all on display as intended. Actually, If anyone could point me to an old thread on resetting warped body parts that would be really appreciated.

If everything works out I will be sure to update my pictures in the Collection forum. BTW, I didn't have any issues with my Disney or Loony Tune figures that were packed away. Granted a lot of them were PVC type figures but many of them were in the 6 to 8 inch action figure style.

My Kenner BTAS the animated series figures which actually have been in a bedroom that gets very hot in the summer & never did anything like that. And those are over 20 years old. Oh right, Kenner wasn't as cheap as mattel & used better plastic. The earlier JLU figures weren't as bad. But towards the middle of the run it seemed mattel started penny pinching to make more profit. It's one of the reasons why I am kind of glad the JLU line is done & I'm not wasting anymore money on poorly made figures. Between the disintegrating rubber parts that either start to dissolve or turn all chalky, the cheap paint that rubs off on other figures & just the poor plastic for the entire figures in general. I had enough especially when they raised the price to $10 a figure.

I goto the Flea markets to buy figures for customizing purposes. Even though my customs are mainly apoxie since they a mostly sculpted. I still do not want what is plastic melting & warping over the years because of the cheap PVC that mattel used. So I usually try to find Kenner BTAS figures since the plastic is better quality. There's one guy who has boxes of 100's figures & you just have to search through them to find things. He has new stock every week it seems because supposedly he has a stockroom filled with old figures. Every time I find a JLU figure the legs are usually warped & literally twisted up like a pretzel from being thrown in the box with the other figures. I guess that works out to my benefit because when I show him he usually just gives them to me for free. I can usually tear them apart & figure out a use for the arms, body or head.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:48 pm 
active in the community

anyone know what happened to the other thread exclusively dealing with the DCIE subscription for 2014?