Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Matty Cyber Monday sale
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:10 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

As I understand it, DR is only of the only options out there that ships overseas (I've heard shop.mattel doesn't). Not making any excuse for DR (quite the contrary, I'm convinced if there's a way to screw something up, DR will find it), but I'm told that MOTU has a significant overseas customer base, and that's the reason for using them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:38 am 
Loose, Missing Package

stewbacca wrote:
I know its not for collectors and probably a different fullfilment/warehouse group than Matty,...

Not sure who runs Mattel shop but it is most certainly a different group/warehouse. Everything I've gotten from them ships out of Shepherdsville, KY (about 15 miles from me). If only I could just drive over there and shop right on the grounds... :(

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Yeah, why they just can't fold Mattycollector into shop.mattel.com I don't know.

The whole model is skewed. Its gotten better, but its still nowhere near what it should be for today's eCommerce marketplace.

Completely different business model, though. Mattel Shop is just selling regular old retail merchandise that any retailer can order compared to the new and specific-to-the-site merch Matty offers. Mattel has the Barbie Collector site and the Red Line Club that work similar to Matty and I can't imagine either being run out of Mattel Shop.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:11 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Yeah, I aware of all that. And I wasn't offering my solution as being anything even remotely realistic.

But, in comparison to the Barbie and Hot Wheel collector sites (neither of which I have spent a great amount of time on [a small bit yes, but I'm not a member or anything] although I have known people locally who do), Matty collector still falls short.

As I said, there have been improvements, but it just isn't there yet. And with the current offerings, I don't see much there to keep the site viable for much beyond 2014. Hopefully I'm wrong and Mattel will design some new collector focused DC line that will really hit home with most of us Fanboys, I just can't picture that happening in the currently established system.

And, NO, I do not think that shop.mattel.com is a "great" ecommerce site either. There are still plenty of items availble at retail that I can't find on that site either.

Mattel, as a whole (and yes, several other major long-standing corporations) really need to start looking at eCommerce with a fresh set of eyes and a new mentality. It won't be long before they are left behind if current business models don't evolve.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:33 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I think the biggest problem DR has with the Matty site (granted, I know customer service sucks, looks like I'm going to be out-of-luck on the castle just because I can't get my card updated) is when things go on sale. You've got a site that has minimal business 29/30 days out of any month then you get that one or two days when things are available and the traffic just kills the site if there's something desirable that day. As frustrating as those days are I can see DR/Matty's point-of-view on it, why spend the money and man-hours getting the site to handle a huge amount of traffic for what is essentially a very small amount of time? Especially now that there aren't the crazy sell-out times that were there at the beginning of MOTUC, it just doesn't seem like something they'd really bother with.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:12 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

So true. I think we're stuck with it for now.

The thing that frustrates me the most is the high shipping charges. They were bad to begin with, and then Mattel added a middleman by hiring New Logistics. The move might have saved Mattel money, but those savings were not passed on to us. In fact, the shipping charges have increased. And the wait is twice as long now because of New Logistics' hub-and-spoke model.

I think that Mattel will eventually have to revamp the Matty site. It's only sustainable as long as fans are willing to pay for the figures, which is becoming less and less likely.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:39 am 
Variant Head

The shipping is the WORST part , I mean it now costs more, takes more time and they use less packing .....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:18 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I missed Teela :(