Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:58 am 
Prototype

I thought so too, Tristan. Mattel decides how many of the Trinity packs are in each case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:07 am 
Damage Control

Any idea on what the SDCC exclusive, if any, will be this year? Im hoping it's Grodd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:33 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

TRISTAN wrote:
I totally get that the retailers are the ones picking the order, but just what is mattel offering? If you only offer it in one way, it's not really a choice.

The problem with that logic TRISTAN is that the retailers still have a choice -- not to buy at all. From what I've been able to piece together, the manufacturers show the big toy buyers the lines VERY early and those buyers are the ones that really decide if a line lives or dies in the first place. The manufacturers can offer whatever packouts they want, but if the retailers aren't interested then the manufacturers can either drop the line or offer them the packout ratios that they want. And it's not just Mattel, even with a line as diverse as Star Wars, I've gotten the feeling that Hasbro has trouble with getting out more female characters simply because the retailers think that they don't sell... One of the biggest problems Mattel has is that they haven't had a major success in a diverse action figure line since the original MOTU which leads me to believe that either their marketing people don't have the experience or know-how to sell an action figure line or they just don't have the sales-clout to convince the buyers to take assortments that they would consider "risky"...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:23 pm 
Damage Control

Thanks Jim, I do get your perspective. Using SW as an example, when EP III came out orinally there was a poster that you could get and something like 55 or so figures, Hasbro was promoting the whole collectibility factor....ie HERE KIDS, LOOK AT ALL THESE FIGURES, CHECK OFF THE ONES YOU HAVE!!! You and everyone else knows that kids and fanboys/adults WILL WANT IT ALL. So why not promote the diversity in addition to the core JLU? I understand why they include at least one core JLU member-use the mold that has already been paid for--ergo its cheaper, I can totally get with that. But using that logic, why not also use it to sell the other figures that have had molds made already in the first run ? You might as well make the most figures you can out of the mold you paid for. use it, ergo money not wasted. With certain figures already becoming htf, why not sell them in 3 packs in addition to the single packs, A-it gives the fan/collector/mom A CHANCE to at least get newer molds in addition to the core JL member. B-Making the most off the mold in as many runs as it can do, C--Cut down on the ever present Trinity set-its fine to have it, but not for HALF of the case, I can see having one ONLY.

I dont see this line as "risky" at all, if the marketing were more geared toward the collecting of the line, there would be more positive results. Yknow in one of the toy mags they had about 30 plus standing on a rack like a class picture..all JLU figures and I thought WOW, what a way to rope a kid and a fan in, SEE ALL THESE FIGURES, DONT YOU WANT THE WHOLE TEAM AND THE BAD GUYS? Kids collect things, humans collect things, its in thier nature. I say make the packs more diverse to get the most out of your investment, Im sure the TRINITY is costing them all of .02 cents to make each figure, they have paved the way to be sure. Having the advertising geared toward diversity is a damn good way to keep the line fresh and still getting profity out of re-using old molds. Should Mattel or any retailer start a JLU COLLECTING CLUB, Im sure it would a great relief to many fans and collectors as well as a disappointment to many a scalper.

Thanks again Jim

Later
Tristan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:03 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I agree with what your saying completely, TRISTAN, it's just that I've been collecting figures for so long now that it's kind of become second nature to know when retailers have screwed something up for kids and collectors. It's too bad that Cartoon Network did their best to keep anyone from watching the show. I know the show got great ratings when it was on, but so many episodes were never repeated and the time slot changed continuously and seasons would be over within weeks of starting -- crazy stuff that doesn't help promote the license to consumers at all... If anything Mattel should be demanding a partial refund on the deal or an extension considering how little air time the show got... Can you imagine if the show was on as often as something stupid like Ed, Edd and Eddy and still managed to pull in monster ratings at every airing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:22 am 
Damage Control

It would boggle my mind sir, it would boggle my mind.

Now, here comes the flip side, who has rights to show these episodes now? Is it still under the cartoon network monitor or does WB still have all the rights to show it on regular tv? I would really love to see JL/JLU on Saturday mornings or shown during the week as the JL/JLU POWER HOUR. Heck it worked with WORLD'S FINEST showing paired up episodes of SUPERMAN/BATMAN, not to mention the movie epidsodes.

Thank you sir, as always Im learning something about Life Behind the Veil on this board. I would think Mattel would pressure or c/o to WB and have the JL/JLU pushed to be shown in a regular timeslot to make up for the lack of any effort on CARTOON NETWORKS part to kill the damn show. It would be only fair. If noting else it helps promote sales and there is actually something decent on tv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:05 am 
Damage Control

Question for BOY WONDER

What is Mattel doing to help promote the JLU line of toys, last year there were inserts in toy magazines and on the backs fo comics we would see heroe and villains on a stairstep rack, what about now? Surely with the last season of JLU now out there must be something that Mattel would want to do to keep the line in circulation. Any chance that Mattel is disgruntled with the way CARTOON NETWORK screwed up the airing of the series and requesting compensation from WB to actually air it on SPIKE or or WB affiliate stations for a year? I just dont get how the #1 cartoon on the CARTOON NETWORK gets bamboozled and given the shaft, can you shed any light on this?

By the by Boy Wonder, I think I speak for all the fans and collectors when I say Thank you. Thank you for such a diverse line that rivals SUPER POWERS and giving us our Heroe and Villains. This is an incredible line and should it end in 2008, you and all your coworkers have done an amazing thing. Be proud, you should be and again, Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:36 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Okay, if Black Canary can be repainted into a non-JLU show appearance outfit, then why can't Booster Gold be repainted into a non-JLU show appearance outfit? Say, blue and gold as opposed to black and gold?

And, as always, thanks for the excellent work you and Mattel have done with the Justice League Unlimited line!

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:57 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Howard the Duck wrote:
Okay, if Black Canary can be repainted into a non-JLU show appearance outfit, then why can't Booster Gold be repainted into a non-JLU show appearance outfit? Say, blue and gold as opposed to black and gold?

This is a great point, ESPECIALLY since the blue and gold IS his JLU-show outfit!

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:07 am 
Prototype

marillion wrote:
Howard the Duck wrote:

This is a great point, ESPECIALLY since the blue and gold IS his JLU-show outfit!

Peace,

Chip

I've been wondering the same thing. Very confusing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:53 pm 
I agree with Tristan re: marketing the JLU line with a "collect them all" campaign. One of my favorite things about the toys I had as a kid was the fold-out sheet that had pictures and a checklist of the entire toy line. I remember going through the Transformers and G.I. Joe checklists and circling all the ones I wanted. I understand that a full-color checklist may be too costly to print up for each JLU figure, but what if Mattel was to go the "Super Powers" route and have images of the entire line of figures on the back of the card? That way, kids might see characters that they never knew existed, and the demand for these older figures would make it profitable for Mattel to re-release them (either in single packs or 3-packs).

Plus, I know that a lot of collectors and customizers (such as myself) would love to get a second chance at picking up more Red Tornados, Booster Golds, Starmans, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:00 am 
Damage Control

Questions for BOY WONDER

1-What would it take to get a JLU or Mattel Collector's club off the ground?
Even if JLU isnt the sole purpose of the collectors club, folks could still buy direct. I know the BARRIS BATMOBILE is still sold out everywhere although the price is now 10$ is the cheapest Ive found. Having such really touch case ratios makes it really difficult for everyone to get all thier figures, isnt there a way to sell cases without the glorious trinity pack to certain smaller retailers? I look at it this way, if they are willing to sell the figures at a standard price, mattel could easily pass off the responsibilty to a vender-MATTEL wins, the vendor wins and we win. As long as the prices arent jacked up and kept at the norm I think everyone can benefit from a collectors club.

2-What is the future of the JLU line? The comic is still going strong and still showing great characters that hopefully one day will be made-FIRESTORM, BLUE BEETLE, QUESTION, CAPTAIN ATOM just to name a few. How does mattel feel about the line for beyond 2008? I know things are on a shoestring but honestly I think it can still run good if JL/JLU ever hits syndication. It-JL/JLU, was the number one show on cartoon network, of coarse they wanted to kill it off by changing the time slots every so ofter, but there is life and success to be seen in syndication. Im sure DVD sales are proving that already.

3-This line is about variety, there are so many ways to really sell this line and its collectibility. Please put a big checklist with a pictue of ALL the JLU figures, no offense but, I really dug the comic advertisements that had the class picture look, the stuff on the back of the box is just too dark and moody. I liked the yellow packaging better, the purple card almost blends into the pegs of other figures. If you dont change the color, please at least put the class picture up of the JLU-show the kids, fans and collectors ALL of the figures that they can have.....eventually.

4-Any news you care to share? The Philippines now has the SHAYERAL HAL/RAY 3 pack as well as the OBSIDIAN/VIGILANTE 3 pack, Im sure more surprises are coming but any news you can tell us would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:06 pm 
I understand that we are not getting a hal jordan figure, but WHY arent we?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:44 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

docseth81 wrote:

Because DC was pissed that there was one to begin with, and said "no way" when asked about a regular retail release or exclusive.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:20 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

marillion wrote:
docseth81 wrote:

Because DC was pissed that there was one to begin with, and said "no way" when asked about a regular retail release or exclusive.

Peace,

Chip

This is me, to DC/WB:

WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :lol:

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next