Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:57 am 
Bob Vila

Cookie_TXPSY wrote:
hellpop wrote:
texgnome1 wrote:
Sorry, but I believe Blue Devil had more screen time. So at best it's a tie. ;)

Read my post again. The point I was making is that speaking trumps screen time. They had to cast an actor and pay him to voice Hal Jordan. I would even argue that he's more "important" than Atom Smasher, since I don't believe he ever speaks (though I might be wrong about that).

So if speaking parts count plus time on screen then you are wrong. Because Blue Devil did speak in JLU in the episode "Destroyer" Plus with all his apperances it totals more time then Hal.

Then I stand corrected in the case of Blue Devil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:34 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

SpyMagician wrote:
So even if JLU Hal is considered a dead issue and we're told to shut up, I don't see why Hal fans should have to.

The reason is in the first part of your sentence.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:30 am 
Dog Squeezer

marillion wrote:
SpyMagician wrote:
So even if JLU Hal is considered a dead issue and we're told to shut up, I don't see why Hal fans should have to.

The reason is in the first part of your sentence.

Peace,

Chip

Well, that depends if the point is to get Hal made (not likely) or simply to keep them aware of our opinion.

For me the second reason is more important. :wink:

Don't forget we were told last year that Hal was 100% off limits.

But this year, the new (and much better IMO) design team brought the question back up to WB and DC because they know we are still interested.

The answer was still no, but the point is Mattel listened to us and was willing to bring the issue up again w/ their Licensor.

We ask, Mattel asks. That simple.

Mattel is on our side on this one. :D

Last edited by SpyMagician on Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:32 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

But that's my point. They (Mattel) know your position. So does WB/DC.

There's no reason to annoy the crap out of them and to keep demanding a figure they've said "no" to for the 10th time.

It's like a kid asking for a cookie and the parent saying "no." The kid then asks again, and again, and again...until I ask the kid and the parent to get the hell out of my store. :D

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:35 am 
Dog Squeezer

marillion wrote:
But that's my point. They (Mattel) know your position. So does WB/DC.

There's no reason to annoy the crap out of them and to keep demanding a figure they've said "no" to for the 10th time.

It's like a kid asking for a cookie and the parent saying "no." The kid then asks again, and again, and again...until I ask the kid and the parent to get the hell out of my store. :D

Peace,

Chip

But sometimes the parent relents and the kid gets the cookie.

:wink:

And the reason for no Hal in JLU may not be as complicated as you think. Could just be a matter of changing someone's mind.

Squeaky wheel, mate. Squeaky wheel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:38 am 
Joint Unfreezer

marillion wrote:

And you're exactly right there. Annoying them and demanding Hal isn't going to work. Name calling won't work. Constantly asking for Hal, even politely, won't work. Occasional requests ... I've been told that's not a bad idea.

I'm not going to hit anyone over the head with it, but I'll be patient. Sometimes the decision only lasts as long as the decision-maker does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:40 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Well, just don't pleeple them off, okay guys? I'd hate to not get a JLU Lady Lunar, TNBA redesigned Scarecrow, or animated Firestorm just because some exec has a bunch of printouts of your Hal whining on his desk at Warner Brothers.

:D

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:04 pm 
Dog Squeezer

marillion wrote:
Well, just don't pleeple them off, okay guys? I'd hate to not get a JLU Lady Lunar, TNBA redesigned Scarecrow, or animated Firestorm just because some exec has a bunch of printouts of your Hal whining on his desk at Warner Brothers.

Peace,

Chip

Amen to that!

I'm actually more positive toward Mattel in general than I've been in years. Sure they've made mistakes, but after the SDCC panel it's the first time in YEARS, maybe ever, that I've felt that the design folks at Mattel honestly care about the DC property, the fans, and making good toys.

So no mad pettitions, no rage filled demands. Just n occasional "It would be great if someday we could get a JLU Hal Jordan" followed by a "keep up the good work!"

Besides. I'm tickled pink...er GREEN, that I'm getting a THE Batman Hal, a Fighting Figures Hal and maybe even a DCUC Hal!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:37 pm 
Prototype

marillion wrote:

Peace,

Chip

Very good point! I'll pass on Hal if we can get Firestorm and TNBA Scarecrow! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:19 pm 
Bob Vila

marillion wrote:

Peace,

Chip

I hate to break it to ya, Chip, but this probably won't be the reason you don't get Lady Lunar....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:09 pm 
Knows his stuff

marillion wrote:

Peace,

Chip

Took a while but fans complained enough to turn him from a villain to a hero in comics. They started HEAT and took out an ad in Wizard. so DC finally gave in a little and in Final Night they made him a hero again, but fans still wanted more so they made him Specture, then when that was not enough they brought back the Corps in his will. They then brought the real him back, making him the Real GL again. I mean they even made up the thing about Parallax being a Thing in Hal so it was not really Hal doing the bad things. So people complained for almost 10 yrs and got what they wanted. I don't care one way or another, sure i want one but im content to wait or get a custom. Look if fans want to fight for him then thay should be able to be heard, im sure people want just as bad to make sure that figures you want don't get made. But i don't feel the need to keep arguing the people in this thread just to keep it going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:31 pm 
my tummy itches

I'm sorry... but shouldnt it be Mattel (or any such company or corporation) that should be concerned about "pissing us off"? I always perceived the "customer - sevice provider" dynamic to lean more in that direction.
Tactfulness and civility (as well as basic common respect) should always be the standard regardless. But the implication that any perceived "whining", could possibly result in any form of retaliation from the company against it's customer base is absurd!? If not, then I would be the first to light a torch, grab a pitchfork and lead the revolt in storming the castle.

Our criticism or requests to any company, no matter how numerous or repetative, ambitious or even outlandish, or even endless futile "whining", for certain products or changes to existing products is our right as contributing members of a free society. More specifically our role as the industry or company's life force. I dont care if we're talking silly toys, tables, ice cream cones, or child saftey seats.

For the record, this has nothing to do with Hal, I just believe we have every right to voice our frustrations, concerns, and requests... regardless of whether or not "they're tired of hearing it". And we certainly have right to do so without fear of retaliation lol. Its a give and take relationship, not a we'll "take what they give us and like it" one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:41 pm 
Dog Squeezer

batlaw wrote:
I'm sorry... but shouldnt it be Mattel (or any such company or corporation) that should be concerned about "pissing us off"? I always perceived the "customer - sevice provider" dynamic to lean more in that direction.
Tactfulness and civility (as well as basic common respect) should always be the standard regardless. But the implication that any perceived "whining", could possibly result in any form of retaliation from the company against it's customer base is absurd!? If not, then I would be the first to light a torch, grab a pitchfork and lead the revolt in storming the castle.

Our criticism or requests to any company, no matter how numerous or repetative, ambitious or even outlandish, or even endless futile "whining", for certain products or changes to existing products is our right as contributing members of a free society. More specifically our role as the industry or company's life force. I dont care if we're talking silly toys, tables, ice cream cones, or child saftey seats.

For the record, this has nothing to do with Hal, I just believe we have every right to voice our frustrations, concerns, and requests... regardless of whether or not "they're tired of hearing it". And we certainly have right to do so without fear of retaliation lol. Its a give and take relationship, not a we'll "take what they give us and like it" one.

Amen, brother. Amen.

Only thing I'd add is that it's not just Mattel we're dealing with here, it's also WB Animation and DC Comics. I used to put it all on Mattel, but that's neither correct nor fair.

They should all want to hear our input and whether they agree or not, appreciate that their consumers and fans care enough about their products to voice their opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:48 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

hellpop wrote:
marillion wrote:

Peace,

Chip

I hate to break it to ya, Chip, but this probably won't be the reason you don't get Lady Lunar....

Have to agree on that one, although if they make a 20 year old Starman & Waverider (haha) then anything is possible. :D

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:51 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

SpyMagician wrote:
Only thing I'd add is that it's not just Mattel we're dealing with here, it's also WB Animation and DC Comics. I used to put it all on Mattel, but that's neither correct nor fair.

None of it should be put on Mattel. They've asked to do Hal several times, and were told "no" by WB/DC. That's the sole problem.

Quote:
They should all want to hear our input and whether they agree or not, appreciate that their consumers and fans care enough about their products to voice their opinions.

This I have no problem with. It's just that now...they know. No need to beat them over the head with it. Once a year, before Toy Fair, or twice a year before Toy Fair and then SDCC, state it. :D

Peace,

Chip

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next